Any company you refuse to use?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
No one knows anyrhing about it, because we dont yet have the ability to go forward in time and then return to the present day to report our findings. It's an event with no precedent, so no comparison can be made or authoritative conclusions can be drawn. That's why 17 of George Osbornes 19 predictions have failed to materialise - clearly he should have borrowed The Guardians time machine,

Even then, that doesn't bother me too much. One buys the Guardian knowing full well what their political slant is liable to be. No, it's the pathetic name calling and even unwarranted foul language directed at people who've done nothing more to warrant the abuse than hold a different view to them. It's unbecoming, and that's what lost them my business.

Last edited:

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
So if a woman comes knocking....
She would be treated the same as anyone else who tried to cold call me.

I don't drink Vodka. It's a commie beverage. Therefore, Smirnoff is a company that I do not use.
Join us, comrade. It will be glorious. In Communist Britain potato wine drinks you! ☭
(Actually I cannot touch vodka, ever since a party 10 years ago involving vodka jellies. Never been so sick in my life. Similar reason to why I can't touch rum or listen to David Gray.)

Diageo moved the Johnnie Walker plant from Kilmarnock, resulting in thousands of job losses, so they're a brand I try to avoid, which is easy enough because Johnnie Walker is rank.
It was fitting that the primary industry in Killie involved terrible alcohol. Taking away the one thing they were good at really ripped the heart out of the community.

One buys the Guardian knowing full well what their political slant is liable to be. No, it's the pathetic name calling and even unwarranted foul language directed at people who've done nothing more to warrant the abuse than hold a different view to them. It's unbecoming, and that's what lost them my business.
The graun still does quality journalism if you look hard enough, and some of their op-eds are excellent, Marina Hyde is quite possibly the finest writer in the land. But there are also a lot of very silly people who submit pieces there who warrant at most a derisory eye-roll and a tut.

Last edited:
I think Amazon is creeping onto my list.
It's in their warehouse (probably that mahoosive one at Doncaster), and it doesn't get dispatched for a week. So they're running a deliberate delay system even if you pay postage to get people in the Prime club. If you pay for Prime next day delivery can happen.
That and the fact it's starting to fill up with Chinese zero budget crap faster that B&Q.

That leads me to B&Q. They're on the list now I've remembered them.
Why pay the prices when you can click and collect the same cheaper from Screwfix a few hundred yards away?
Do Tesco really think that opening Jacks stores in the car parks of their main shops will make the main stores more profitable?

[QUOTE 5429650, member: 9609"]don't think there is any company I wouldn't use if the price was right (deep down inside I'm a greedy bugger) but I would love to see the demise of jaguar land rover group, there is something just wrong with their deeply unpleasant, environmental damaging, oversized, badly driven vehicles that does my nut in as a cyclist - bankrupt the company, take all their vehicles off the road and crush them, then suspend the licences of anyone who has owned one this century and 6 points on the licence of anyone who secretly desired owning one.[/QUOTE]

I have similar feelings for Audi. After the emissions thing I think there should be an investigation into the VAG group speedometer calibrations. You can't blame them for the section of their buyers that are raving dickheads, but I'm sure there's something to be looked at.

simonali

Guru
She would be treated the same as anyone else who tried to cold call me.

I once answered the door and it turned out to be those who saw Jehovah. It was couple of fellas in their 60s and I told them to do one. A few weeks later I get another knock on the door. I answer and there are two attractive young ladies in their 20s stood outside. They turned out to be JWs too and also got told to sod off. I wondered afterwards whether it was a deliberate sales technique?

simonali

Guru
That leads me to B&Q. They're on the list now I've remembered them.
Why pay the prices when you can click and collect the same cheaper from Screwfix a few hundred yards away?

I don't know why their prices don't match because I think they're the same company...

I once answered the door and it turned out to be those who saw Jehovah. It was couple of fellas in their 60s and I told them to do one. A few weeks later I get another knock on the door. I answer and there are two attractive young ladies in their 20s stood outside. They turned out to be JWs too and also got told to sod off. I wondered afterwards whether it was a deliberate sales technique?
I was once so bored that I let a pair of Mormons in. I used to be a Catholic (don't worry, I got better) so it was an interesting theological discussion right up until the bit where they told me that Jesus moved to South America and they knew this because some guy read it on golden plates that no-one else was allowed to look at. This was before South Park called out Mormonism for same.

I'm firmly in favour of "live and let live" but if you're gonna make up sky fairy nonsense at least give it *some* historical and anthropological authenticity.

I don't know why their prices don't match because I think they're the same company...

Yes they are the same company. That's the point I was very badly making :okay:

I was once so bored that I let a pair of Mormons in. I used to be a Catholic (don't worry, I got better) so it was an interesting theological discussion right up until the bit where they told me that Jesus moved to South America and they knew this because some guy read it on golden plates that no-one else was allowed to look at. This was before South Park called out Mormonism for same.

I'm firmly in favour of "live and let live" but if you're gonna make up sky fairy nonsense at least give it *some* historical and anthropological authenticity.

My late grandmother took no crap from anyone. One freezing snowy day a pair of JWs turned up at her door. She told them they could come in, warm up and have a cuppa if they promised not to talk about religion. They did.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I'm never rude to people on the doorstep; what's the point? It only reinforces their resolve, especially with JWs, as it confirms their world view. I find a bit of gentle epistemology works best. At least they might go away thinking (or not, as the case may be).

I always thought it would be funny to have a big enough garden to keep small farm animals so that if any proselytisers came to the door and asked if I was interested in the message of the lord I could invite them in and say "of course, of course, we're just about to start praying, please join us" just to see their faces when I bring a goat in.

Not terribly practical for a practical joke but the thought amuses me.

Top Bottom