Any (of the old f*rts) remember Cherry B?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
The first few mouthfuls of Cresta weren't bad but whatever substance was used to make it frothy then congealed into small lumps of snot-like substance in one's mouth, which wasn't really a good selling point.

Cresta (Strawberry flavour) was responsible for the discovery that I am allergic to various E additives - mostly anything strawberry flavoured or coloured red.

Oddly enough, I can eat strawberries, but the thought of past symptoms turns my stomach against it.

One would never suggest sneaking around the back of the shop, removing bottles from the stored crates & taking them back in through the front door to get our refund
Yes"!!!! I have a friend :whistle: who used to do that at the Peter Dominic offy in my old town. There was a ginnel up the side of the shop (apparently:whistle:) and the empties got stored in their yard. The most prized empties (apparently:whistle:) were the 3 quart cider bottles, demijohns. I seem to recall the deposit was big money, possibly 5 shillings.

Skol lager, as brewed at the Royal Brewery Mosside and other fine breweries. The same brewery did a new livery for a new golden age of lager, Harp! They were tarts and brewed beer for competitors, anyone with the money to buy oceans of the worst possible beverage. I think they went on to brew Fosters lager there so the tradition was strong. A person could be forgiven for thinking they just changed the big sign on the brew house from time to time and retained the same insipid piss water.

That was another drink Geoff got me into, a pint of Mild and a Worthington White Shield
I used to be a visiting contractor at the Tetley Walker brewery in Warrington in the days before safe practices. They did not brew White Shield there I think it was still being brewed in Burton but they had plenty of pallets of the stuff. The site dray men (shifting beer ready to go out on delivery dray lorries) used an old Bedford flat back and would ride on the flat to the next pick up point. What I remember vividly is them drinking White Shield as they went about their runs, a fair bit of the stuff by the look of it.
They had a half decent canteen and you could have a beer with your fish and chips.

Fine Northern lagers of the 70's, every pub going man's dream (the women being smart enough to drink the fancy stuff such as Babycham). Amboss by Hydes, Ayingerbrau by Samuel Smith, Einhorn by Robinsons of Stockport and Grúnhalle by Greenall Whitley. All vile brews and I think only Grunhalle was a bottom fermented lager, the rest being brewed top fermented like bitter and not even lagered at low temperature during fermentation.
The Ayingerbrau was a license brew and utterly unlike the product on offer in Germany, why the owners granted granted a license baffles me, maybe the royalties smoothed things.
I recall the Ayingerbrau bar pump head was a sort of clear plastic box with a small model/bust of a jolly Bavarian bloke clutching a stein inside. A local pub sold the stuff and a friend used to take a mighty drag on his cig and blow the smoke through a small hole in the side of plastic box filling it with smoke. Why, I do not know but it cracked me up though not the bar staff.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I used to be a visiting contractor at the Tetley Walker brewery in Warrington in the days before safe practices. They did not brew White Shield there I think it was still being brewed in Burton but they had plenty of pallets of the stuff. The site dray men (shifting beer ready to go out on delivery dray lorries) used an old Bedford flat back and would ride on the flat to the next pick up point. What I remember vividly is them drinking White Shield as they went about their runs, a fair bit of the stuff by the look of it.
They had a half decent canteen and you could have a beer with your fish and chips.
We lived within walking distance in the 60s/70s and knew a number of people that worked there..... and yes there were people that were bladdered by ten O'clock in the morning.
Strange fact. There was a pub right on the corner of the entrance to Tetley's that sold the most beautiful bitter and it was a Greenall Whitley pub. I used to go there Saturday night to watch the footy in colour as we only had black & white.
Ahh happy days.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

At one point White Shield was the only 'bottle conditioned' pale beer, Guinness was also a 'live' beer in the bottles.

We lived within walking distance in the 60s/70s and knew a number of people that worked there..... and yes there were people that were bladdered by ten O'clock in the morning.
Strange fact. There was a pub right on the corner of the entrance to Tetley's that sold the most beautiful bitter and it was a Greenall Whitley pub. I used to go there Saturday night to watch the footy in colour as we only had black & white.
Ahh happy days.
I remember that pub, can't remember the name and never had a pint there. I guess there is a pride in having the best on the doorstep of a brewery, even if its a competitor. Boddingtons brewery tap was a pug ugly building but the beer was as it really should be, or should have been before InBev dumped the brewery and kept the name.

Skol lager, as brewed at the Royal Brewery Mosside and other fine breweries. The same brewery did a new livery for a new golden age of lager, Harp! They were tarts and brewed beer for competitors, anyone with the money to buy oceans of the worst possible beverage. I think they went on to brew Fosters lager there so the tradition was strong. A person could be forgiven for thinking they just changed the big sign on the brew house from time to time and retained the same insipid piss water.
I do sometimes wonder what happened to Skol and whether it was indeed just renamed. Saw an old Double Diamond sign on the side of a building a while ago. Never had any - before my drinking years - don't even know what type/style of beer it was.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
I remember that pub, can't remember the name and never had a pint there. I guess there is a pride in having the best on the doorstep of a brewery, even if its a competitor. Boddingtons brewery tap was a pug ugly building but the beer was as it really should be, or should have been before InBev dumped the brewery and kept the name.
It was called the British Tar.

Brads

I once tried to recreate the tastey Belgian beer Kriek which was cherry beer, by mixing cherry B with Tennents lager.

I had 4 and couldn't walk ! my heed went a funny colour as well. Evil stuff disguised as a ladies drink.

Adam4868

Guru
I do sometimes wonder what happened to Skol and whether it was indeed just renamed. Saw an old Double Diamond sign on the side of a building a while ago. Never had any - before my drinking years - don't even know what type/style of beer it was.
Im pretty sure you can still get skol,sure ive seen it somewhere recently.As for double diamond i remember it from working mens clubs and my dad ! I think it was a pale ale ?

Top Bottom