Any survivors on here, cardiac arrest, heart attack, cancer....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

.....roll the years on and am there again....
After recent issues of general malaise, heavy breathing, fatigue, heavy legs etc. but nothing substantial I eventually had a CT scan last Thursday. This coming Friday I go in for an Angiogram.
Judging by the CT report it seems I have multiple blockages hence the lack of really meaningful symptoms. I'm guessing if bad-enough, then maybe a by-pass could be an option.
Either way, it needs to be something.
Hopefully update on Saturday!

:hugs: Good luck Fab Foodie, hopefully you will just need stenting. I had 4 put in in 2008 and a 5th one put in after my heart attack in 2016.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
After recent issues of general malaise, heavy breathing, fatigue, heavy legs etc. but nothing substantial I eventually had a CT scan last Thursday. This coming Friday I go in for an Angiogram.
Judging by the CT report it seems I have multiple blockages hence the lack of really meaningful symptoms. I'm guessing if bad-enough, then maybe a by-pass could be an option.
I hope all goes well.

classic33

Leg End Member
Best o'luck with the local.

In and out the same day hopefully.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Fingers crossed.....

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
F F.

FYI, I've had a bypass (very young at the time for that sort of operation) and then 10 years later had angioplasty and the 10 years after that had another angioplasty. I would have no trepidation about having another angioplasty, if required, because it is fairly straight forward, done under local anaesthetic and produces very little discomfort afterwards. IME, they load you with Clopidogrel (an anti-platelet drug) at about 8 times the normal daily dose before the op and given that this takes time to get out of your system and the entry wound needs to heal, they (in my case, anyway) keep you in overnight to make sure that BP etc normalise and that the wound site isn't seeping. After a few days I was back at the gym and a week after that was back to my normal exercise levels with no associated pain and it has happily remained that way.

The by-pass took a while longer to recover from, in my case it was 5 weeks before I restarted any serious exercise, but was walking a couple of miles a day after about 4 to 5 days after the operation mainly to get the leg from where they had taken a length of "tubing" for the bypass graft working probably and to prevent any ancillary swelling. Don't know about the operation because that was under a general(!) but the chest was a bit bloody sore for a couple of weeks but that was a small price to pay.

Every time I've spoken to the medics involved they've said that the fitter you are, the better because it means that you've probably discovered the problem relatively early and the recovery period is much quicker. Another good reason to cycle a lot.

Good luck with it all.
Thanks Viking, that’s very reassuring :-)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I had a double CABG in 2012, totally unexpectedly. I think you can have some kind of microsurgery now, but I had the procedure where they saw your sternum (breastbone) down the middle and access your ticker by that route. They "harvested" 24 inches of vein from my left leg and used it for the cardiac re-plumbing. They staple your sternum together when they have finished. The left leg didn't hurt at all but the wound itched like crazy.

In my case, my chest bones felt very tender for a few days in hospital. You really don't want to sneeze, laugh or cough. They gave me and the rest of the crew on the ward rolled up towels to hold against our chests if we felt like doing any of those three in order to limit the movement of our thoraxes.

I had the operation on Tuesday and was discharged from Hammersmith hospital (God Bless them all) on the next Monday. After a day flopping about, bored, I was working again at home for my tiny company, assembling some electronic circuits on a contract that was too lucrative to walk away from. I was allowed to drive after five weeks and got back in the saddle a few days later.

It felt like I had a completely new set of legs!

You'll be absolutely fine.

Best wishes.

Fab Foodie

I had a double CABG in 2012, totally unexpectedly. I think you can have some kind of microsurgery now, but I had the procedure where they saw your sternum (breastbone) down the middle and access your ticker by that route. They "harvested" 24 inches of vein from my left leg and used it for the cardiac re-plumbing. They staple your sternum together when they have finished. The left leg didn't hurt at all but the wound itched like crazy.

In my case, my chest bones felt very tender for a few days in hospital. You really don't want to sneeze, laugh or cough. They gave me and the rest of the crew on the ward rolled up towels to hold against our chests if we felt like doing any of those three in order to limit the movement of our thoraxes.

I had the operation on Tuesday and was discharged from Hammersmith hospital (God Bless them all) on the next Monday. After a day flopping about, bored, I was working again at home for my tiny company, assembling some electronic circuits on a contract that was too lucrative to walk away from. I was allowed to drive after five weeks and got back in the saddle a few days later.

It felt like I had a completely new set of legs!

You'll be absolutely fine.

Best wishes.
Where fid your new pair of legs go then?
;-)

Fab Foodie

I am officially now the best attired patient in the hospital....

814FD77A-19E3-4A22-A37E-342A988C2263.jpeg

Schmokin’!

Top Bottom