Are cycling shoes necessary , if so why ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
IMO its better to use a stiffer soled shoe for cycling, as already stated the stiffness comes in various flexibility, but I would think even your average cycling trainer type cycling shoes, designed for flat pedals would be stiffer than your average none cycling specific trainers.

I use SPDs and don't like cycling without being clipped in, a few years ago I tried some flats on the MTB, I couldn't get on with them and soon went back to SPDs.

I use very stiff MTB shoes even on the road bike and find no trouble walking in them.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Off road shoes use the small central cleat, which is in a recess in the sole making it possible to walk. Road shoes have the cleat attached to a rigid plastic sole and are definitely not designed for walking, apart from a few risky yards to the cafe. Both systems help you to adopt a better foot position on the pedals. Most shoes have fixing systems, which are easily adjusted by reaching down while on the move, a big plus. Boa-type systems can even be adjusted through a neoprene overshoe. Once you've used proper cycle shoes with cleats you won't want to go back to ordinary shoes.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
he needs better pedals.
Which is why, in the old days there used to be clips and straps. Invention and technology eventually replaced the rather clumsy arrangement with 'clipless' pedals, which are vastly superior. As an older teenager I hurriedly fitted clips and straps to my early MTB after my feet slipped/bounced off the pedals while riding down one of the bumpy local bridleways. The testicle-top tube interaction that occurred as a result wasn't particularly pleasant. Once I amassed sufficient pocket money I soon upgraded to Shimano SPD pedals/shoes and have never looked back since.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I swapped over to MTB style shoes and clip in pedals about 4 years ago after refusing to do it for years , and in all fairness i actually prefer it especially when using the double sided pedals .

They are a bit like marmite you either like them or hate the idea , but give them a try and see how you get on .

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Which is why, in the old days there used to be clips and straps.

I still use toe clips and strap on several bikes I have, but I do have spd's on a couple of others. I find that on my road bikes the spd's are more comfortable and give a little bit more efficiency. I have the MTB stley shoes with the recess for ease of walking around.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I resisted for a few years but use spd's on all the road bikes and wouldn't go back to flat pedals now. Still like grippy flat pedals on the mountain bike though as I don't have the conficence on rough terrain for clipless.

rugby bloke

Veteran
From an aesthetic point of view they are essential for that satisfying "click" when you clip in at the start of a ride !

D

Deleted member 26715

Falling off whilst MTB'ing & twisting/pulling your calve muscle making agony to finish the ride.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I swapped over to MTB style shoes and clip in pedals about 4 years ago after refusing to do it for years , and in all fairness i actually prefer it especially when using the double sided pedals .

They are a bit like marmite you either like them or hate the idea , but give them a try and see how you get on .
Ok fair enough, after all what l am most interested in is what difference there is in stiff soled shoes rather than how you keep your feet in touch with the pedals !

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I use stiffer sole walking shoes or boots, but I wear a US size 15 0r16 shoe. Hard to get in cycling shoes, and when you twist your foot out, it tends to try to go into the spokes. I also have to vary my point of contact on the pedals, according to the doctor. This applies just to me, but so long as it keeps me on the bike, I'm good with it.

Top Bottom