Are cycling shoes necessary , if so why ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T675Rich

I always thought clipless systems for a fight guy on a hybrid riding 5 miles to work seem like overkill but so of these comments make me think maybe I should think about them.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
When I'm doing on-tarmac only riding on a roadster, hybrid or drop bar sports bike (I shall refrain from calling a vintage 531 Dawes a "road" bike in the modern sense) I often use a pair of cycling shoes I got in Lidl on one of their promotions. These are basically trainers with a beefed-up stiffer sole, and are great to ride and walk around in. They cost me £15 and if I see any more of them in a future promotion, I'll be getting another spare pair to stash away..
For MTB riding in woods, I usually just put on an old pair of safety work boots - which also have a fairly stiff sole and some ankle protection. I don't care if they make me look like a builder on his commute, as they have nice grippy soles, are good to walk in, and they don't cost me anything.
I suspect a lot of cyclists choose particular wearable items for the "serious cyclist look" they want to project, and not because the things are necessarily any better than more everyday, casual wear alternatives. For many, cycling is all about style over substance and everyday practicality (such as the ability to walk in cycling shoes) is not high on the list of priorities. The sight of clipless roadies all hobbling around at a café stop might be normalised in their own minds, but any non-cyclist observing such a scene will just conclude the riders are weird masochists!

You spent fifteen pounds on shoes! I’m surprised you didn’t rummage through a shoe recycling bin for some castoffs! :biggrin:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I always thought clipless systems for a fight guy on a hybrid riding 5 miles to work seem like overkill but so of these comments make me think maybe I should think about them.

One the cusp IMO. I used to have two sites I worked at, 5 miles (flat) and 10 miles (rolling) distant. The 5 mile one I wore work shoes and clothes on the ride, the 10 mile full mamil and clip in pedals.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have them for my road bike but not for the hard tail. In hindsight I wouldnt bother. The friend I cycle with doesnt have them and has no problems.

Johnno260

Veteran
A lot of peeps get put off by the price of quality shoes... my Sidi's c.2002 that were £180 are still going strong, bit tatty like, but great value!

As with most things I buy certain items out of season, or in the case of shoes I get them at the end of the production line, in the case of my Shimano R171 shoes I paid £40-£45 for ex demo ones.

I have 10 mile commute. I have suffered with occasional cramping in feet when riding with soft soled casual shoes like vans or chuck taylor high tops, I assume this is because I have been putting a lot of pressure on my feet, with delicate muscles bending in ways they are not well adapted to. That said I never have problems on short rides, even in sandals. because of my lengthy commute, I use MTB shoes that are easy to walk in. They are not suitable for the office though, so I always change into oxfords that I keep under the desk.

As others have said, double sided pedals are a must if you want to use everyday shoes one day and MTB shoes the next. It means I don't need to put my ugly cycling shoes on to nip out on an errand, although sometimes I do because... they are velcro strapped and easy to put on! :laugh:

If all you ever do is 3 mile jaunts around town, don't bother with them, otherwise, they make sense for lengthy rides or hilly areas, or eking out every last watt for highest efficiency.

Last edited:

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
They are not suitable for the office though, so I always change into oxfords that I keep under the desk.

I have said it before and it's worth repeating.....
upload_2019-6-14_13-30-21.png

https://dromarti.com/collections/touring-shoes/products/sportivo-gravel-brown-tan-leather

Top Bottom