Are cycling shoes necessary , if so why ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I have cages with straps on all my bikes and l have no issues with them but l have had some problems with pulled calf muscles and painful back of knee tendons etc. so just wondering if stiff soled cycling shoes would help. I would still use them with the cages etc. or is that defeating the objective ?

You might find they help as you can adjust the cleat position , certainly worth a try

Ok fair enough, after all what l am most interested in is what difference there is in stiff soled shoes rather than how you keep your feet in touch with the pedals !

I think stiff soled trainers and toe clips would work fine just as stiff soled cycling shoes do and in my experience most cycling shoes can be worn with pedals and cages ok

Profpointy

Legendary Member

In a fit of Imeldaness I've got a pair of those as a present from the wife. Whilst they are nice, I was a bit put off to see "made in the Philipines" on the box, so not Italian really. Also, the construction isn't a patch on Northampton made traditional shoes, so I think it's slightly style over substance. In the UK at least, not that convinced by the holes either.

But still, they are nice, and comfy to cycle and walk in. I think the brown pair shown are nice than the black pair I've got

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
You might find they help as you can adjust the cleat position , certainly worth a try

I think stiff soled trainers and toe clips would work fine just as stiff soled cycling shoes do and in my experience most cycling shoes can be worn with pedals and cages ok
That is just what l was hoping to hear Mr. B , and in any case they must be better than the knackered old soft soled Adidas trainers that l usually wear !

U

User169

You do need stiff soles, like an Adidas Samba, BTW, so your foot doesn't flex over the pedals. I also use large flat pedals. Keeps everything in scale and proportion.

You can retrofit your Sambas

Retrofitz-SPD-Conversion-Adidas-Sambas.jpg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Back in the day, the advice was to learn to pedal properly, then, and only then, fit your toe-clips & straps. If you were racing you'd use shoe-plates as well. Tightening/loosening the straps on the move was a skill.

I swapped to clipless around 1994; SPD for touring/audax and SPD-SL or Look for racing. Clipless is much simpler.

Around town I'm happy to use flat pedals (or not), but for 100+ mile jaunts I would always want to be attached.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
You can retrofit your Sambas

View attachment 470692
They look the part thanks !

Depends what sort of riding I'm doing.

If I'm going for a ride to get some exercise, then yes, cycling shoes (MTB spd). If I'm heading off to Cambridge (or similar) where plenty of mounting, dismounting and walking is also involved, then lightweight hiking shoes are just the ticket.

Both my are fitted with pedals that have clips on one side and grippy flats on the other.

I do find riding clipped in more comfortable - and easier on the knees. I find I do get more tired when not riding clipped, but as with everything, it's swings and roundabouts.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
That is just what l was hoping to hear Mr. B , and in any case they must be better than the knackered old soft soled Adidas trainers that l usually wear !

I wore a pr of Padder's training shoes for year's and in the end it was where the pedals made contact with the soles that destroyed them

Don't go barmy with your first pr just get a decent stiff soled pr and try them

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I resisted for a long time, but finally took the plunge and within weeks had SPD-SLs on all my road bikes.
Once you try clipless, I'd be surprised if you went back, the stiff soles and connection to the bike really does make a difference.

Diadora cycling shoes are reasonably priced and I've found they run fairly true to size, unlike some other brands I could mention.

I do still have flat metal pedals on the MX Sport though, which is now used almost exclusively off road. My shins have the scars to testify to this.
I usually wear a pair of Karrimor walking shoes / trainers which have a stiff sole and are (fairly) waterproof when using this bike.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I wore a pr of Padder's training shoes for year's and in the end it was where the pedals made contact with the soles that destroyed them

Don't go barmy with your first pr just get a decent stiff soled pr and try them
Ok , will do ! And tomorrow we start our three day drive to the land of the Swedes where my mountain bike awaits its new rear wheel ^_^
I dont know what the weather is up to but will go prepared for any conditions ....photos may follow !!

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
I resisted for a long time, but finally took the plunge and within weeks had SPD-SLs on all my road bikes.
Once you try clipless, I'd be surprised if you went back, the stiff soles and connection to the bike really does make a difference.

Diadora cycling shoes are reasonably priced and I've found they run fairly true to size, unlike some other brands I could mention.

I do still have flat metal pedals on the MX Sport though, which is now used almost exclusively off road. My shins have the scars to testify to this.
I usually wear a pair of Karrimor walking shoes / trainers which have a stiff sole and are (fairly) waterproof when using this bike.
Thnx. l will have a look at Diadora !

Top Bottom