Are cycling shoes necessary , if so why ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T675Rich

One the cusp IMO. I used to have two sites I worked at, 5 miles (flat) and 10 miles (rolling) distant. The 5 mile one I wore work shoes and clothes on the ride, the 10 mile full mamil and clip in pedals.

Yea, I am thinking it is a bit overkill if I get any fitter (which I don't seem to be) I might extend my commute

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Which is why, in the old days there used to be clips and straps. Invention and technology eventually replaced the rather clumsy arrangement with 'clipless' pedals, which are vastly superior. As an older teenager I hurriedly fitted clips and straps to my early MTB after my feet slipped/bounced off the pedals while riding down one of the bumpy local bridleways. The testicle-top tube interaction that occurred as a result wasn't particularly pleasant. Once I amassed sufficient pocket money I soon upgraded to Shimano SPD pedals/shoes and have never looked back since.
I used to have straps but upgraded to these...
dmr-v8-pedals-916-inch-pedals-red-00120407-3000-10.jpg

...I've never looked back either. :smile:

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Another quick question, l have had a few probs. with knee joints hurting and swollen calf muscles. l put this down to a combination of age and maybe incorrect foot position and support under pressure .....it is fairly hilly around here. So is it possible that proper cycling shoes rather than trainers would help avoid these kind of probs ?

Just wondering since l have never owned or used a pair....am l missing out . To be fair l am not competing in any way (except with myself) !
All opinions and expertise welcome .

You can get cycling shoes?

I've had cages on my bikes for a very long time and never had a problem. For the new bike build we're going Full Luddite with chromed toe cups and no straps.

We may even put a leather wrap on the toe cups...

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
You can get cycling shoes?

I've had cages on my bikes for a very long time and never had a problem. For the new bike build we're going Full Luddite with chromed toe cups and no straps.

We may even put a leather wrap on the toe cups...
I have cages with straps on all my bikes and l have no issues with them but l have had some problems with pulled calf muscles and painful back of knee tendons etc. so just wondering if stiff soled cycling shoes would help. I would still use them with the cages etc. or is that defeating the objective ?

Top Bottom