Are cycling shoes necessary , if so why ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Cycling shoes are a very personal thing; some love 'em, others just can't get on with them. If you plan on cycling any distance on a regular basis, then the stiffer shank of a cycling shoe will be more comfortable. There are oodles of shapes, designs etc. on the market suitable for platform, clipless and so on. so have a good look at what's available and decide which will suit you best. :thumbsup:
All sorts of styles too,

High-Heeled-Cycling-Shoes-680x319.jpg

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
IMO its better to use a stiffer soled shoe for cycling, as already stated the stiffness comes in various flexibility, but I would think even your average non cycling trainer type cycling shoes, designed for flat pedals would be stiffer than your average none cycling specific trainers..

When I'm doing on-tarmac only riding on a roadster, hybrid or drop bar sports bike (I shall refrain from calling a vintage 531 Dawes a "road" bike in the modern sense) I often use a pair of cycling shoes I got in Lidl on one of their promotions. These are basically trainers with a beefed-up stiffer sole, and are great to ride and walk around in. They cost me £15 and if I see any more of them in a future promotion, I'll be getting another spare pair to stash away..
For MTB riding in woods, I usually just put on an old pair of safety work boots - which also have a fairly stiff sole and some ankle protection. I don't care if they make me look like a builder on his commute, as they have nice grippy soles, are good to walk in, and they don't cost me anything.
I suspect a lot of cyclists choose particular wearable items for the "serious cyclist look" they want to project, and not because the things are necessarily any better than more everyday, casual wear alternatives. For many, cycling is all about style over substance and everyday practicality (such as the ability to walk in cycling shoes) is not high on the list of priorities. The sight of clipless roadies all hobbling around at a café stop might be normalised in their own minds, but any non-cyclist observing such a scene will just conclude the riders are weird masochists!

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Screenshot_2019-06-14-12-08-01.png
I am having difficulty picturing this, are you riding an ordinary upright 2 wheeler ?
Unicycle.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
When I'm doing on-tarmac only riding on a roadster, hybrid or drop bar sports bike (I shall refrain from calling a vintage 531 Dawes a "road" bike in the modern sense) I often use a pair of cycling shoes I got in Lidl on one of their promotions. These are basically trainers with a beefed-up stiffer sole, and are great to ride and walk around in. They cost me £15 and if I see any more of them in a future promotion, I'll be getting another spare pair to stash away..
For MTB riding in woods, I usually just put on an old pair of safety work boots - which also have a fairly stiff sole and some ankle protection. I don't care if they make me look like a builder on his commute, as they have nice grippy soles, are good to walk in, and they don't cost me anything.
I suspect a lot of cyclists choose particular wearable items for the "serious cyclist look" they want to project, and not because the things are necessarily any better than more everyday, casual wear alternatives. For many, cycling is all about style over substance and everyday practicality (such as the ability to walk in cycling shoes) is not high on the list of priorities. The sight of clipless roadies all hobbling around at a café stop might be normalised in their own minds, but any non-cyclist observing such a scene will just conclude the riders are weird masochists!

Nonsense. Any more than a bunch of footballers wearing studded boots are weird masochists.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The benefit of cycling shoes is that your foot is always in the best position on the pedal. You don't have to think about it at all and your foot doesn't move around into a less suitable position

The downside is that (non SPD) cycling shoes aren't designed to be walked in

So if you're going t do a ride and maybe just a little walk into a café or whatever, then I'd go with cycling shoes. If you're hopping on and off and maybe have to walk about a bit then I wouldn't bother. My rides involve very little walking (basically set off from the house, back to the house with a café stop in the middle) so I prefer to wear cycling shoes

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Cycling shoes are a very personal thing; some love 'em, others just can't get on with them. If you plan on cycling any distance on a regular basis, then the stiffer shank of a cycling shoe will be more comfortable. There are oodles of shapes, designs etc. on the market suitable for platform, clipless and so on. so have a good look at what's available and decide which will suit you best. :thumbsup:
Will do, l want something l can wear with toe straps on flat pedals through to Shimano Dura ace stuff !

Top Bottom