Are electrically assisted bikes cheating (poll)

are electrically assisted bikes...cheating?

• yes

Votes: 52 20.6%
  • no

Votes: 200 79.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
That's what I meant really. Yes you have to continuously pedal, but how much pressure is required to make the motor kick in? The one I had a go on required just the smallest amount of pressure, almost as if the sensor was saying "yes, there is some pressure on the pedal, I will turn the motor on".
Does it matter how much pressure you are putting on the pedals? If your legs are going round you are getting good exercise, you won't get race fit but you don't need to bust a gut to stay healthy.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Yeah it wasn't a particularly pleasant ride
some are quite high torque.......my cube is only 50nm so it doesnt pulse ( as some say) when the engine cuts in and out, its a pretty smooth ride.

i got the bosch active plus motor on both my ebikes ( Cube x 2 ) and am more than happy with how it responds to my input

FishFright

More wheels than sense
You litterally cannot do that on an ebike......you have to continuosly pedal for the motor to work and "some motors only work at mid to high cadence" or the motor does nothing.......

The moment you stop pedalling the motor stops altogether, you cant just glass crank as you say.......sheeesh

Once again we see the battle between someone with knowledge (Ebike) vs people armed with made up stuff continue on and on . And people think Brexit is an outlier haha.

dodgy

Once again we see the battle between someone with knowledge (Ebike) vs people armed with made up stuff continue on and on . And people think Brexit is an outlier haha.

Haha! So defensive! Why?
I still hold that it's possible to go from a 2 b with hardly any effort, certainly not enough to be considered a workout. Remember - I'm a fan of ebikes, I'm in the market for one. I'm not considering one for exercise, though.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Haha! So defensive! Why?
I still hold that it's possible to go from a 2 b with hardly any effort, certainly not enough to be considered a workout. Remember - I'm a fan of ebikes, I'm in the market for one. I'm not considering one for exercise, though.

My post was so far from DEfensive lol. Are you sure you're replying to the right post ?

ETA
I wasn't referring to your posts @dodgy so it looks like wires got crossed here.

Last edited:

dodgy

I dunno anymore :biggrin:

I like ebikes, think they're great, even tried to get my employer to consider them in our benefits (we give discounts to employees who buy EV cars but not to buyers of ebikes - sadly no luck).

Anyway, I'm done here, but one more thing before I go.

so if your not offay with the rules

I think you mean 'au fait' :laugh:

Last edited:

jowwy

I dunno anymore :biggrin:

I like ebikes, think they're great, even tried to get my employer to consider them in our benefits (we give discounts to employees who buy EV cars but not to buyers of ebikes - sadly no luck).

Anyway, I'm done here, but one more thing before I go.

I think you mean 'au fait' :laugh:
I may well have meant “au fait” but who cares anymore

As for your other post.....you can’t really ride with little effort, as with little effort, comes very little assist on the new pedelecs, old twist grip maybe is totally different.....but on 22kg+ emtb, you need to apply effort or ride a very heavy bike indeed

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Now this is what you call an electric bike -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYIJm7101pg

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I dont understand this us and them mentality of some people with regards to electric bikes. Unless you are in a competitive race. Why would you care what the guy next to you is sitting on.?

With the exception being road bikes. I would imagine that about a quarter of the bikes I see in my local town in Denmark are electric bikes. That js a huge increase compared to 2 years ago.

Very popular with private child minders and you often see 4 children in the front of the cargo bike. But they dont just appeal to the aged and infirm. Everybody likes them.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I've been riding my Orbea Gain on the club leisure rides for some time now. On the first few rides there were mystified expressions on some faces as to how I'd suddenly become an ace grimpeur :laugh:, but generally kind words from them about the ebike making it possible to ride with them again.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Depends on why you're riding your bike. If it's to get fit and stay fit, what's the point of having an electrical assist?
If it's to get somewhere as comfortably as possible then electrical assist is sensible.

D

Deleted member 26715

Depends on why you're riding your bike. If it's to get fit and stay fit, what's the point of having an electrical assist?
How about somebody who needs that extra help to get started into exercise in the first place, then when they improve they may decide to go non electric.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
If it's to get somewhere as comfortably as possible then electrical assist is sensible.
In my case it's to help me stay fit after 60+ years of non- assisted cycling. I feel I've paid my due. It's not a case of "get somewhere as comfortably as possible". It is very possible to raise the heart rate riding an ebike, and get a good workout. My non-assisted pain free range is around 3-4 flat miles, that's all

jowwy

Why does it need to depend on some arbituary rule made up by a bunch of nobodies on when, why and who can ride a certain bike??? Who gives anyone the right to judge another based on their chosen ride??

Top Bottom