Are electrically assisted bikes cheating (poll)

are electrically assisted bikes...cheating?

• yes

Votes: 52 20.6%
  • no

Votes: 200 79.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Depends on why you're riding your bike. If it's to get fit and stay fit, what's the point of having an electrical assist?
If it's to get somewhere as comfortably as possible then electrical assist is sensible.

I ride my (unassisted) bike because I enjoy it, and because I can go a lot further than batteries would allow. Nothing much to do with keeping fit.
I'd have no particular objection to an E-bike for commuting-type journeys, etc.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I ride my (unassisted) bike because I enjoy it, and because I can go a lot further than batteries would allow. Nothing much to do with keeping fit.
I'd have no particular objection to an E-bike for commuting-type journeys, etc.
So why no objection towards every ebike journey? Why only commuting type?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Why does it need to depend on some arbituary rule made up by a bunch of nobodies on when, why and who can ride a certain bike??? Who gives anyone the right to judge another based on their chosen ride??
It doesn't- I was just expressing my own view like you just did- everyone's different. If that offends then so be it. Cheers!

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I'm just giving my personal preferences. I don't wish to judge what anyone else does.
So why not say “ I personally prefer to road a pedal bike as I get more enjoyment from it, but if I was commuting then an ebike could be an option”

Rather than what you stated

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Depends on why you're riding your bike. If it's to get fit and stay fit, what's the point of having an electrical assist?
If it's to get somewhere as comfortably as possible then electrical assist is sensible.
An electric assist bike can also be used to get fit and stay fit. You just lower the assistance or switch it off. But it is still there if you want a leisurely ride. I had one for 2 years and it was good fun. I was still riding 200+kms a week on my road bike. But it was good to have an easy ride to work.

Electric bikes are here to stay and are probably the fastest growing market in the cycle industry.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The burning question is ... should you include mileage from your electric bike, while on a turbo, in your annual mileage totals? ;)
Or should turbo miles be included in your annual mileage at all? How can it be mileage if you don't go anywhere :0)

I dont count mine and I was less than 200km short of my 8000km target last year :0(

Last edited:

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Or should turbo miles be included in your annual mileage at all? How can it be mileage if you don't go anywhere :0)

I dont count mine and I was less than 200km short of my 8000km target last year :0(

What we need is a complex mathematical function that accurate scales the effort used in riding in the various forms of Human Powered Transport versus Assited HPT, they would then use a selection of statistical methods to analyse the data collected by individual riders and produce an almost entirely arbitrary number that people can use to prove how much better a person they are than you.

Top Bottom