Are electrically assisted bikes cheating (poll)

are electrically assisted bikes...cheating?

• yes

Votes: 52 20.6%
  • no

Votes: 200 79.4%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
No I have collected no evidence, so we'll leave it that you are right.
its not about being right....your just making up assumptions based in your bias towards E-Bikes

if it gets them up off the sofa, bed, computer, dinner table etc etc etc - then it can only be a good thing. how anyone can make that into a negative is beyond me

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
we are talking pedelecs....no s-pedelecs theres a difference

pedelecs need to be pedalled to work and is a legal requirement since 2015.....they are also limited to 15.5mph

so if your not offay with the rules and regualtions around the use of ebikes....stay off the thread
WTF

derrick

whats the WTF for? its true......if you dont know anything about pedelecs and the regulations of use then stay away and stop confusing the thread, it does no good to anybody
This thread is about e bikes in general. it's no good you getting uptight with me or anyone else, it's a discusion,:wacko:
As said before in another post when i get to old to ride as i do now, i will probably get one, But it will not be before i reach 70+, so only three years to go.:laugh:

Last edited:

jowwy

This thread is about e bikes in general. it's no good you getting uptight with me or anyone else, it's a discusion,:wacko:
As said before in another post when i get to old to ride as i do now, i will probably get one, But it will not be before i reach 70+, so only three years to go.:laugh:
and theres no point you putting out misinformation about twist throttles and the like........they are illegal and have been since jan 1st 2016....(any ebike built or purchased before then is ok)...after that they are illegal. so saying kids would be less active if riding a twist grip ebike is just stupidity to justify your ebike bias.........

so stop acting like your ten and be more like the 67+ that you are and be more truthful in your repsonses

derrick

and theres no point you putting out misinformation about twist throttles and the like........they are illegal and have been since jan 1st 2016....(any ebike built or purchased before then is ok)...after that they are illegal. so saying kids would be less active if riding a twist grip ebike is just stupidity to justify your ebike bias.........

so stop acting like your ten and be more like the 67+ that you are and be more truthful in your repsonses
I never said they where legal, nor did i mention kids. So stop throwing your toys out the pram, If you are happy riding one ride it.

dodgy

My neighbour has one, I had a go on it a few weeks ago. My impression is that the requirement to 'pedal' basically treats the crank as a switch to enable the motor. It may as well be a throttle, his was supplied by Evans I think, so it's not hacked or anything.
I'm in favour of people on ebikes, especially if that means one less car. And while there are those who will themselves expend 200 watts (or whatever) over a 2 hour long ride, I bet there's lots of people who just glass crank and chug along on the battery.

jowwy

I never said they where legal, nor did i mention kids. So stop throwing your toys out the pram, If you are happy riding one ride it.
Re-read your post in reply to mine which is about kids using ebikes to get more active and you stated...." if you call twisting a grip active, then yes"

Maybe you need to read what your replaying too...no toy throwing here, just stating facts as i see them

jowwy

My neighbour has one, I had a go on it a few weeks ago. My impression is that the requirement to 'pedal' basically treats the crank as a switch to enable the motor. It may as well be a throttle, his was supplied by Evans I think, so it's not hacked or anything.
I'm in favour of people on ebikes, especially if that means one less car. And while there are those who will themselves expend 200 watts (or whatever) over a 2 hour long ride, I bet there's lots of people who just glass crank and chug along on the battery.
You litterally cannot do that on an ebike......you have to continuosly pedal for the motor to work and "some motors only work at mid to high cadence" or the motor does nothing.......

The moment you stop pedalling the motor stops altogether, you cant just glass crank as you say.......sheeesh

dodgy

That's what I meant really. Yes you have to continuously pedal, but how much pressure is required to make the motor kick in? The one I had a go on required just the smallest amount of pressure, almost as if the sensor was saying "yes, there is some pressure on the pedal, I will turn the motor on".

D

Deleted member 26715

I bought the wife a Freego, only went up the road on it & the motor was kicking in & out as I pedaled, no idea if it needs adjustment, but we'll see when he weather gets better

jowwy

That's what I meant really. Yes you have to continuously pedal, but how much pressure is required to make the motor kick in? The one I had a go on required just the smallest amount of pressure, almost as if the sensor was saying "yes, there is some pressure on the pedal, I will turn the motor on".
if its a cadence sensor then quite a bit....all new motors are based on cadence, none of them are pressure sensors.....

and its all according what setting you have the motor - some have 4 settings like my cube, 1 eco ( need to pedal only 100watts assist), 2 tour ( need to pedal 150watts assist) , 3 Sport ( need to pedal 200 watts assist), 4 turbo ( need to pedal 250watts assist)

BUT if you pedal slowly, they will not give those extra levels of assist....its basically an extra % of the wattage your putting out ypurself upto a max of the setting your riding on)

i hope this helps

jowwy

I bought the wife a Freego, only went up the road on it & the motor was kicking in & out as I pedaled, no idea if it needs adjustment, but we'll see when he weather gets better
thats how they work...no pedal, no assist....also if over 15.5mph motor will switch off

Last edited:
Top Bottom