Ashamed to say I drive a BMW

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrewsdad

I am sure that I am quite fortunate that most of the time I am out riding my bike, that I do so on B roads or single lane A roads, which means that I do not encounter to many car driver who act like idiots when the encounter a cyclist.

Apart from the young boy racers in their Corsa's, Clio's, Fiesta's etc.... the other type of car driver that I seem to have problems with is drivers of BMW's, of which I am sorry and ashamed to say that my current company car; which I inherited when I joined the company at the start of the year is a BMW; thankfully this will change soon.

Perhaps the reason why so many people who drive a BMW, drive like idiots is because of this perceived general reputation and therefore they think to themselves that they might as well drive like idiots anyway. Whatever the reason, I am getting so fed up with the way that I am treated by these drivers when I am out on my bike.

It will be good to hear the views of others and if they get the same treatment?
Audi's as well in my experiance.

Drago

Legendary Member
It would be more so, as the great unwashed think the likes of an X5 must surely be brilliant in the snow so the effect is magnified when they discover It is not.

Mike!

Guru
Ahhhh that old chestnut (thanks Top Gear ^_^ ), any 4x4 fitted with road tyres wouldn't do that well in the snow or offroad.....

Having said that mine's done just fine around here thanks!

Mike!

Guru
[QUOTE 3723606, member: 45"]It's right though. Low-profile, road compound tyres will never do as well as the more agricultural alternatives.

The simple fact though is that swapping winter tyres onto a normal 2wd car will bring significant improvements in the snow.[/QUOTE]

Oh i know it's right and I'm under no illusions that's it's a "proper" 4x4. That's not why I got it. I wanted plenty of weight, performance and stability when towing the caravan but also something that didn't drive like a boat when not towing (98% of my driving time). I'm thanking Top Gear for not actually pointing out the fact that the BMWs run totally unsuitable tyres and aren't really designed for this kind of work! However put winter tyres on and as you said, totally different ballgame in the snow.

e-rider

crappy member
I had a BMW when I was with my ex wife. It was a 750iL. The ex was a director for a large electronics component supplier, so I got fed a diet of flash motors whether I wanted them or not.

The 7 series was a genuinely expensive motor. The arriss Bimmer drivers are the 1,2,3,and 4 series owners who have a BMW badge, but haven't actually quite made it in life. They take out this inadequacy and resentment on other road users.
so you are saying that people only feel that they've 'made it' in life, when they can afford a 7-series BMW? I can't afford a car of any kind, yet I don't feel like I haven't 'made it'! I'd be amazed if I can afford any more than a 10 year old Ford by the age of 65, yet how many people do I see in their early 20s driving £20K cars - quite a few. Having money depends on birth and luck but only occasionally on hard work and intelligence.

Drago

Legendary Member
No, I'm saying the opposite.

Insecure people who place so much importance on appearances buy the 1, 2, 3 and 4 series to tell their neighbours that they've made it. However, by having a 1, 2, 3 or 4 series they're in fact telling those of us who don't place any value on badge snobbery that they've far from made it at all.

Birth and luck has little to do with it. I was born to a wealthy family!y, went to prep school before my parents divorced, but I figured out quite young that I can only crap on one bog at a time, sleep in one bed at a time, or drive one car at a time, so haven't devoted my life to the pursuit of as much lucre as possible. The privileged upbringing excuse is one trotted out by the lazy and unambituous, but firmly disproved by the likes of Alan Sugar. Which brings us full circle, as in wealth terms he really has made it and you wouldn't catch him in a 1, 2, 3 or 4 series.

Last edited:

cd365

Guru
So a £30k to £45k BMW is someone who hasn't made it? You must live in some world @Drago if you believe that. You will also find that a 7 series BMW would be too large a car for most people, personally I don't like the look of them.

Bicykell

Well just to put you all in your places I nearly got run down by a vintage RolyPoly who gave a nice long blast on his upper class horn then drove past me anyway on a single track road. Now that put me in my place. Must have seen there was nothing on the bike that might scratch his paintwork, just hose my remains off when he got home.
Me, I would have been proud. Proud! Proud that I had been run down by a wonderful piece of British Motoring Quality. Not by some German machinery, coldly efficient and soulless, with four wheel drive, Nappa leather upholstery, 7 speed auto box, MMI, dual zone air con, cruise control, auto tailgate, panoramic sunroof, 10 speaker audio with subwoofer......not that I'm in the slightest bit interested in Audis......

mustang1

Legendary Member
It would be more so, as the great unwashed think the likes of an X5 must surely be brilliant in the snow so the effect is magnified when they discover It is not.
The X5 is brilliant in the snow. Depends what tires you have. Put the BMW OEM tires on a range rover and that will be useless in snow too.

Top Bottom