BentMikey and a Subaru Driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Differentpov

longers said:
Nice! Smack people for daring to express their discontent with poor driving.
Lovely stuff.

I didnt mean me, some other road users might not be so forgiving when a vigilante starts trying to police the local roads as if HE owns them!

GrasB

Veteran
GrasB said:
Looks like a typical inappropriate overtake by a driver who doesn't really know how to anticipate a cyclist movements
No I change that to total disregard for the road space needs of a cyclist. The cyclist keeps a fairly constant distance from the curb between the roadwork barriers.

longers

Legendary Member
Differentpov said:
Whats its Dcb rating, i reckon its illegal due to excessive noise!

JFGI.

You've gone from stating it is illegal to reckoning it's illegal - what next? You admit it isn't illegal?

GrasB

Veteran
115dB, the same as the road legal e-marked PIAA motorsport air-horns & in the E-marked kits you get two 115dB air-horns in the box 100Hz apart.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
DifferentPOV

Cyclists and pedestrians are the two most vulnerable groups. There is no outer shell to protect them.

Some people use cameras (as I have already said) to record evidence 'should' something happen. I don't use one because I tend to do most of my riding in the countryside, away from traffic and people in general (just a grumpy git), and I read the road and use a mirror, so I can anticipate if something happens.

I aren't interested in getting to blows with you (or anyone), but I wouldn't tolerate that sort of behaviour from anyone. The bloke was being a bully.

He committed things worthy of a visit from a copper:

The 'dodgy' overtake. Words of advice about driving would suffice, were it not backed up by him getting out of car and using threatening words and behaviour, Section 5 Public Order Offence signed, sealed, delivered.

The 'reverse' trick - IMO a Section 59 job minimum. What was he reversing for? He didn't steer clear of anything, he drove off (quickly) in a straight line - didn't he realise the cyclist was behind him? Or did he do it because he knew he was?

If it was the former - Driving without Due Care & Attention. I hate to think he was doing the latter, because that is using his vehicle as an offensive weapon.

Welcome to the forum BTW, have a cup of tea while you're here.

Differentpov

GrasB said:
115dB, the same as the road legal e-marked PIAA motorsport air-horns & in the E-marked kits you get two 115dB air-horns in the box 100Hz apart.

So how come 95 dcb for an exhaust is considered excessive by traffic plod, mot stations and most track day organisers, but a 115 dcb airhorn is ok? if i fitted that to my new scooby and used it when a cyclist is in the way you lot would not be happy! One rule for us....................

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Differentpov said:
So how come 95 dcb for an exhaust is considered excessive by traffic plod, mot stations and most track day organisers, but a 115 dcb airhorn is ok? if i fitted that to my new scooby and used it when a cyclist is in the way you lot would not be happy! One rule for us....................

An exhaust is used all the time. A horn is a functional devise used to warn in certain very limited situations.

The cyclist wasn't in the way, the only person in the way was the subaru driver who parked their car in an obstructing manner.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Guys, please lets not turn this into a cross-forum slanging match.

Couple of thoughts...
Whilst this is a cyclist forum, I would estimate at least 90% of us drive cars and motorcycles some very powerful ones too, we have Taxi and bus drivers amongst our members and a few truckers too. I think road safety and good road manners are to the benefit of us all. There is bad driving by cyclists, cars drivers, taxi's et al. Poor road use and a poor attitude behind the wheel/bars is simply unnaceptable. However, in terms of vunerability it is cyclist and pedestrians that fare worst, therefore our sense of danger and risk is much more heightened than that of the caged driver. That's simply how it is.

The reason why cyclist in particular are turning to video technology is not out of some anti-car agenda or vendetta, but it is to highlight to others the hazards and attitudes we encounter daily from other road users. That really is the truth. Abuse from Car drivers in particular is very common. There are also circumstances where important video evidence has been used to prosecute dangerous driving and that should be a good thing. IIRC About 2 years ago a cyclist video was helped to show that WVM who hit a girl at a crossing was not culpable. It can works all ways. Maybe the Subaru driver should have had a video camera too, it would all be useful in court.

Regarding Mikey, he is a hugely capable and respected cyclist with regard to proper road usage and defensive riding by cyclists. I would imagine that his knowledge of the rules of the road would best most road users The Bible for road-cycling safety and positioning is called 'Cyclecraft' by Franklin published by HMSO books, the same series that also produces books for safer driving and motorcycling (they are all excellent reads).

A little more care, awareness, consideration, and politeness out there would be much appreciated... by all.

longers

Legendary Member
Well said FF. I'm crap at arguing without sounding aggressive even when I'm not really that wound up - so cheerio DifferentPov, hope you learn something from these people.

Differentpov

ComedyPilot said:
DifferentPOV

Cyclists and pedestrians are the two most vulnerable groups. There is no outer shell to protect them.

Some people use cameras (as I have already said) to record evidence 'should' something happen. I don't use one because I tend to do most of my riding in the countryside, away from traffic and people in general (just a grumpy git), and I read the road and use a mirror, so I can anticipate if something happens.

I aren't interested in getting to blows with you (or anyone), but I wouldn't tolerate that sort of behaviour from anyone. The bloke was being a bully.

He committed things worthy of a visit from a copper:

The 'dodgy' overtake. Words of advice about driving would suffice, were it not backed up by him getting out of car and using threatening words and behaviour, Section 5 Public Order Offence signed, sealed, delivered.

The 'reverse' trick - IMO a Section 59 job minimum. What was he reversing for? He didn't steer clear of anything, he drove off (quickly) in a straight line - didn't he realise the cyclist was behind him? Or did he do it because he knew he was?

If it was the former - Driving without Due Care & Attention. I hate to think he was doing the latter, because that is using his vehicle as an offensive weapon.

Welcome to the forum BTW, have a cup of tea while you're here.

Jesus, what sort of life have you led, section 5 signed sealed and delivered, this sort of thing is an everyday occurance, as for the section 59, grow up, he reversed to avoid an obstacle infront of him, HE DID NOT GET ANYWHWERE NEAR ENOUGH TO THE CYCLIST TO EVEN WORRY HIM! And why has the cyclist not been lambasted for LYING! At no point in that video does anyone get anywhere near 50 mph, let alone 100 mph, this stinks of a one man crusade against performance car drivers, i dont even reckon "witnesses" stopped to offer help, the OP needs to get over himself and find a non road related hobby!

GrasB

Veteran
Differentpov said:

Because your exhaust is a sustained acoustic noise where as the horn is a momentary acoustic event. In fact if you think about it if you allow 95dB exhaust you need horns to have a decent acoustic gain over that to be heard.

FYI I have the PIAA 400/500Hz horn attached to one of my cars & have used it because of an idiot of a cyclist who started cycling across the road looking LEFT only!

PBancroft

Differentpov said:
I didnt mean me, some other road users might not be so forgiving when a vigilante starts trying to police the local roads as if HE owns them!

How forgiving do you think the cyclist should be when, after using a horn to warn another road user of their presence (as the Highway Code suggests it must only be used for), the other party immediately stops, gets out of their vehicle, and swears aggressively at the cyclist?

Do you think he should react calmly, saying something along the lines of "That was really close - you nearly hit me mate"? Or do you think he should get off his bike and give the driver a punch in the face for his troubles?

Different POV, you are welcome to have a different point of view indeed, but it doesn't necessarily mean you are going to be right in every point (just like I am certain that not every viewpoint expressed on this forums is utterly correct either). ALL road users should treat each other with respect. No exceptions. Regardless of that, welcome, stay a while. Pull up a chair and have a cuppa.

Differentpov

Fab Foodie said:
Guys, please lets not turn this into a cross-forum slanging match.

Couple of thoughts...
Whilst this is a cyclist forum, I would estimate at least 90% of us drive cars and motorcycles some very powerful ones too, we have Taxi and bus drivers amongst our members and a few truckers too. I think road safety and good road manners are to the benefit of us all. There is bad driving by cyclists, cars drivers, taxi's et al. Poor road use and a poor attitude behind the wheel/bars is simply unnaceptable. However, in terms of vunerability it is cyclist and pedestrians that fare worst, therefore our sense of danger and risk is much more heightened than that of the caged driver. That's simply how it is.

The reason why cyclist in particular are turning to video technology is not out of some anti-car agenda or vendetta, but it is to highlight to others the hazards and attitudes we encounter daily from other road users. That really is the truth. Abuse from Car drivers in particular is very common. There are also circumstances where important video evidence has been used to prosecute dangerous driving and that should be a good thing. IIRC About 2 years ago a cyclist video was helped to show that WVM who hit a girl at a crossing was not culpable. It can works all ways. Maybe the Subaru driver should have had a video camera too, it would all be useful in court.

Regarding Mikey, he is a hugely capable and respected cyclist with regard to proper road usage and defensive riding by cyclists. I would imagine that his knowledge of the rules of the road would best most road users The Bible for road-cycling safety and positioning is called 'Cyclecraft' by Franklin published by HMSO books, the same series that also produces books for safer driving and motorcycling (they are all excellent reads).

A little more care, awareness, consideration, and politeness out there would be much appreciated... by all.

All the cyclists i see round my way ride two abreast, hold up traffic, jump red lights, ride on the pavement when something silly like a red traffic light dares to hold up their progress and generally disregard the rules, then complain when they get bollocked by other road users, cyclists need to be registered and have number plates, then they would stop the vigilante tactics and conform like everyone else!

PBancroft

Differentpov said:
All the cyclists i see round my way ride two abreast, hold up traffic, jump red lights, ride on the pavement when something silly like a red traffic light dares to hold up their progress and generally disregard the rules, then complain when they get bollocked by other road users, cyclists need to be registered and have number plates, then they would stop the vigilante tactics and conform like everyone else!

I've never run a red light in my life, nor do I ride on pavements. Yet around my way I see cars run the red lights quite frequently, car drivers who use the mobile phone whilst driving, car drivers who park on double yellow lines, or park blocking exits, or speeding.

Registration fixed none of those problems. It would be an expensive solution and wouldn't work anyway - better training for all road users is required, not one subset.

Top Bottom