Cannondale CAAD 8 - can it take 28c tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kalaika

Perpetually riding in a headwind
Hi All

Rutland Cycing currently appear to have a decent discount on the Cannondale 2016 CAAD 8 Claris, down from £599 to £399.
http://www.rutlandcycling.com/323873/products/cannondale-caad8-claris-8-2016-road-bike-black.aspx
I know Claris is the lowest of Shimano's groupsets, but it appears that CAAD 8 frame and bike in general gets almost universally good reviews so can always look at upgrading parts later on.

Does anyone know whether the frame of the CAAD 8 and the stock Maddux RS3.0 wheels are able to take 28c tyres? They come with 25c as standard and can't find anything about whether they can take larger. The Claris version uses the Tektro R315 brakes which say they can take up to 28c but not sure if there is enough clearance on the frame.

Any CAAD 8 owners out there looked at fitting 28's on theirs?

Cheers

outlash

also available in orange
I've never felt the need to go beyond 25's on mine but I reckon you could just about get away with it.

potsy

Rambler
I had 28's on mine for a while, clearance is tight under the brakes but doable, I have since gone back to 25's.

It may depend on the tyre though, some makes are bigger than others even when labelled the same.

Bit of a pain as they are my preferred size, on the single-speed it's the guards that clearance is tight, brakes are long drop so plenty of room, there too I have reverted back to 25's.

a lot of manufacturers quote the '4mm clearance' rule, I guess to allow for wheel flex, a bit of mud etc. I was thinking of 28's for winter, but reckon its too tight on my frame (Ghost)....good price on the Cannondale by the way!, and sorted frame for upgrades in the future... although I did notice the 105 model was £699, better wheels, 11 speed not 8... heck of a bike for this money!

OP
OP
kalaika

kalaika

Perpetually riding in a headwind
Thanks for the replies all.

As above. Is there any particular reason why you want 28s on there?

Just trying to work out if it's possible so that if I felt the need either through the winter or just for slight extra comfort.

a lot of manufacturers quote the '4mm clearance' rule, I guess to allow for wheel flex, a bit of mud etc. I was thinking of 28's for winter, but reckon its too tight on my frame (Ghost)....good price on the Cannondale by the way!, and sorted frame for upgrades in the future... although I did notice the 105 model was £699, better wheels, 11 speed not 8... heck of a bike for this money!

I thought it looked like a good deal and they appear to have the whole range at decent prices - Claris at £399, Sora at £499, Tiagra at £649 and 105 at £699. My budget won't stretch to the higher versions, but by all accounts the frame is good enough to upgrade later on.

Have a slight concern about the geometry being too aggressive so am trying to find a local shop that I can get to that has one to try. Most seem to stock the Synapse instead.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do Evans sell it? You can order your size into the store for a refundable deposit and have a proper test ride. You'd be able to ride the synapse too for comparison

They'll price match quite a few competitors too (not sure whose prices you are quoting)

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Have a slight concern about the geometry being too aggressive so am trying to find a local shop that I can get to that has one to try. Most seem to stock the Synapse instead.

I have the Tiagra. I don't think it's too aggressive, I find it quite comfortable for commuting and also when i have done longer rides too. I've used it for a few long days before and didn't have any issues. On mine there were spacers on the stem and these make it fairly "upright" in terms of position. I was actually thinking of taking one off to make it a bit more racy.

outlash

also available in orange
I have the Tiagra. I don't think it's too aggressive, I find it quite comfortable for commuting and also when i have done longer rides too. I've used it for a few long days before and didn't have any issues. On mine there were spacers on the stem and these make it fairly "upright" in terms of position. I was actually thinking of taking one off to make it a bit more racy.

I can relate to that, it's neither fish (upright) nor fowl (heads down) but not in a bad way, TBH my cross bike is more heads down. I've thought of mine as a 'fast cruiser' and yeah, you can upgrade parts as without feeling like you're putting a silk sheet over a turd.

*Dusty*

Returning Hero.
I have a synapse which happily took 28c tyres but I found them a bit weird handling to be honest and went back to the 25c. I may just fit a 28c to the back wheel and see how that fares.

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
I can relate to that, it's neither fish (upright) nor fowl (heads down) but not in a bad way, TBH my cross bike is more heads down. I've thought of mine as a 'fast cruiser' and yeah, you can upgrade parts as without feeling like you're putting a silk sheet over a turd.

It's the first and only bike I've bought new, in 2011, and I'm still well pleased with it :smile: I'm not very sophisticated and haven't been spoilt by any high end bikes which probably helps. But yeah, I think your descrption of it as a "fast cruiser" is right on the money. It feels quick and comfortable.

FilmoreThrust

See this thread is a few years old but thought i would try asking a similar question. I have a CAAD 9 and have just purchased some CERO AR24 EVO wheels. I need to get new tyres and would like to go up from the 23's i am running on the stock wheels. It seems from the above and looking at the clearance 25's will fit no bother. I am also wondering about 28's but given i have only ever ridden 23's am sure 25's will make a big difference.

My main questions is what tyres. I want something good for winter but i won't be out in a crazy conditions so decent rolling would be good. I came off my bike 8 weeks ago (dry, too fast!!!) and broke my collar bone. Have a nice collar bone shaped dent in the top tube as a momento. I was going a bit fast but think the Gatorskins aren't as good as grippy as i thought (front wheel skidded) especially with a wee bit of debris on the road. They are bullet proof though, cannot fault them there, stones, gravel, nothing puts a dent in them.

I have been looking at one with a bit of a tread pattern like those listed in this article.

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/buying-guides/1875/best-winter-road-bike-tyres-2020-stay-puncture-free

Was thinking about the Strada Open Road, Roubaixs or Rubino, with inner tubes, but now i have ordered these wheels i am wanting to see what is best tubeless and whether tubeless is actually that much better than with tubes which i have been hearing a lot.

My aim over winter is to work on power, mainly through climbing so if i do go out in poor conditions it will mainly be to get to hills but won't need to get to them in record time or indeed fly down the other side. Can always get new tyres next spring which are a bit faster running if there isn't a happy medium. Wheels arrive Thursday and around about then i'll be getting the chain rings, cassette and chain replaced so should be like a whole new bike.

See this thread is a few years old but thought i would try asking a similar question. I have a CAAD 9 and have just purchased some CERO AR24 EVO wheels. I need to get new tyres and would like to go up from the 23's i am running on the stock wheels. It seems from the above and looking at the clearance 25's will fit no bother. I am also wondering about 28's but given i have only ever ridden 23's am sure 25's will make a big difference.

My main questions is what tyres. I want something good for winter but i won't be out in a crazy conditions so decent rolling would be good. I came off my bike 8 weeks ago (dry, too fast!!!) and broke my collar bone. Have a nice collar bone shaped dent in the top tube as a momento. I was going a bit fast but think the Gatorskins aren't as good as grippy as i thought (front wheel skidded) especially with a wee bit of debris on the road. They are bullet proof though, cannot fault them there, stones, gravel, nothing puts a dent in them.

I have been looking at one with a bit of a tread pattern like those listed in this article.

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/buying-guides/1875/best-winter-road-bike-tyres-2020-stay-puncture-free

Was thinking about the Strada Open Road, Roubaixs or Rubino, with inner tubes, but now i have ordered these wheels i am wanting to see what is best tubeless and whether tubeless is actually that much better than with tubes which i have been hearing a lot.

My aim over winter is to work on power, mainly through climbing so if i do go out in poor conditions it will mainly be to get to hills but won't need to get to them in record time or indeed fly down the other side. Can always get new tyres next spring which are a bit faster running if there isn't a happy medium. Wheels arrive Thursday and around about then i'll be getting the chain rings, cassette and chain replaced so should be like a whole new bike.
Yeah agree on Gatorskins, I came off with front wheel skid 3 weeks ago, but 32c's.
Had 28c Schwalbe Duranos on for a long time over several winters and rock solid.

Top Bottom