Cars, choices, apathy and inevitability.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mybike

Grumblin at Garmin on the Granny Gear
[QUOTE 3668420, member: 45"]Our 62 plate Focus estate used to give me neck ache.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you needed to adjust something. My tendency was to have the seat too high in the first Focus, bumped me 'ead on ceiling.

mybike

some say he's making sure I don't return his daughter to him

Daughters are like that, once they get to teenage years you just want someone to take them off your hands. Make sure he pays you well, dowry & all that.

Similar issues with the size though, dog doesn't know what to do with himself but thankfully a large drive and we get supermarket shops delivered

I'd have got a bigger car but we were getting to the point where we couldn't get it in the garage (no drive).

Large

Duty idiot
My list looks like this now:-

VW Touran
Ford Galaxy ( though not so keen on the way Ford's drive despite what people say)
Ford S-max ( I decided to look at it again)
Toyota Verso
Peugeot 5008
Mazda 5
Citroen C4 Grand Picasso
Citroen C8
Alhambra (though not many in budget)
Mitsubishi Outlander

It's way too long, I may have to pull 3 out of a hat.

I did the same research not so long ago. the S-Max was by a mile the best to drive and to look at. You could do a LOT worse.

Wafer

Veteran
I'd have got a bigger car but we were getting to the point where we couldn't get it in the garage (no drive).

Had been driving a 207 hatchback, very happy with it, just wanted more boot space partly for the dog but mainly so I could get my bike in/out more easily. Narrow local lanes + quarry lorries made me nervous of rear mounted bike racks and I decided I'd rather change the car then spend out the money required on roof mount.
Didn't think I wanted a huge estate so started looking at smaller estates, Golf sort of size, but the 2008 felt tiny in the drivers seat compared to my 207, test drove an A4 and found that weirdly small in drivers seat too. Golf also seemed poor value for money compared to the Passat.

So somehow I ended up at the bigger end of the spectrum, thankfully not a problem just hadn't been my initial preference, was still on the verge of walking out of the Audi dealership to go talk to VW about a Passat when someone suggested sitting in an A6. Somehow the money for a new one wasn't any worse than the 6 month old A4 Avant I test drove and it felt much better to sit in. And a black one was already built and on it's way to the UK... might have chosen a dark red otherwise!

I'm still not really sure how I went from wanting a bit of a bigger boot with a budget similar to Crackle's to getting a brand new A6 but I'm not complaining!

mybike

[QUOTE 3668701, member: 45"]I tried everything. The car went, and the ache went. I hired a Focus a few months ago and it returned. The headrests aren't adjustable laterally, and they push your head forwards.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure why you'd want the head restraints moving laterally & they certainly don't push my head forward. You're not wearing a helmet in the car, are you?

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Hah, I'm not sure about the colour, but the fact it's a large estate makes me feel more proportional at least... I did test drive a 2008, fiancée said it looked liked a clown car with me in it...

A friends got on of the convertible Smart roadsters, I put a radio in it for her and when I moved it to a different car park brained myself on the side of the roof every time I tried to shoulder check. It looked like I was driving a clown car.

When will harvest gold become available again?

We had some BL estate thing in 'Sunflower' when my dad was in his 'buying old shite because it's cheap' phase (actually, that covers the whole of his life, that late 1970's in this case). It was a kind of muddy yellow. I see little point in buying the trendy colours, remember in the early 2000's when VW had that lovely flesh colour in their range. Bet no one regrets buying that now.

mybike

quarry lorries made me nervous of rear mounted bike racks

Having had a couple of them coming toward me having a race, near Mold, that'd be the least of my worries.

I'm still not really sure how I went from wanting a bit of a bigger boot with a budget similar to Crackle's to getting a brand new A6 but I'm not complaining!

I was in the market for something a little higher off the ground with perhaps a bit more boot than the Focus.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
What's the best colour for hiding the dirt?
My Apple Green Clio seems to hide the dirt well.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
It hid the brush marks better.

Class car that. When it rained I sometimes had to get out to get the wipers back from where they'd fallen off. Then when I sold it I forgot to take the money off the bloke, so chased after him in the other car. The Moggy could only do 30 but it took 12 miles to catch him cause I kept getting stuck at the lights.

There's a short film in there, the shorter the better.

Top Bottom