Challenging anti-social behaviour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
Little minks pulling wheelies, riding on pavements outside school at chucking out time, cutting in front of cars and weaving in and out of traffic, riding down road in wrong direction, are a big problem in some parts of the city.
Bikes are often stolen, then once they've had their "fun" dumped and burned out.
Usually someone's pride and joy that they worked and saved hard for, unlike these feral little *******!

It's about having some respect and thought for others. Nothing more.

And yes I was young once with noisy ISH exhaust, but I wasn't a daffodil in built up areas.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I was walking home at about 10pm a few nights ago when a yoof on a *very* noisy moped drove past me. I heard him from a few hundred yards away and mouthed, very obviously, "noisy farker", at him as he passed me.

He gave me the finger and proceeded to wheelie down the road, which is probably what I've had done when I was 16:rolleyes:

In the very unlikely event that he'd stopped I'd have tried to explain that he was disturbing loads of people and was being very selfish. On the other hand he may have pulled a knife and stabbed me.

Right / Wrong / Foolish / Worth a try?

Chuckle =D
Followed by pages of people who never had fun at and 16 and had little ever since

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The problem is the noise. Sleeping with the windows open in the hot weather and living near a main road means disturbance. At 10pm it's not an issue, but at 2am it's a pain.

As an ex-biker I know the noise level "tests" for bikes are loose, but at the risk of sounding like a Daily Mail reader I think they should be tighter.
If you did call the police, what if they sent the chopper?

Sandra6

Veteran
One kid going home on his bike is hardly antisocial behaviour.
Riding up and down in packs, then you've got something to complain about.
My neighbour likes to have his motorbike running loudly whenever it's a sunny day. I do more than mouth noisy farker at him, but I doubt the police would be interested.
Oh, and we have neighbourhood police officers who can be contacted should the need actually arise.

screenman

Legendary Member
One kid going home on his bike is hardly antisocial behaviour.
Riding up and down in packs, then you've got something to complain about.
My neighbour likes to have his motorbike running loudly whenever it's a sunny day. I do more than mouth noisy farker at him, but I doubt the police would be interested.
Oh, and we have neighbourhood police officers who can be contacted should the need actually arise.

We have a neighbourhood office that you can leave a message with, they are not that reliable at getting back to you though. I am sure others differ.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Last year I was cycling home on the Railway Path here in Bristol, it was a summer evening, loads of cyclists and pedestrians about when I noted three ‘yoofs’ pushing a moped down an access ramp. A bit further on, I stopped at a bench and made it look like I was texting as I heard the moped coming along the path. I was actually setting it up to take a photo of the reg plate (I have zero tolerance of mopeds/motorbikes etc being ridden on the path).

As they went past, two of them on the moped, third walking behind, one shouted at me:

“You takin’ pictures mate?”

“No” I lied. I got on my bike and left. Unfortunately, the photo came out blurred. I was chatting about it the next day in the office when I was gently reminded that some youth of today – not-all, but some carry knives. I wondered what might have happened if I had challenged them. I have also encountered guys on full sized off-road motorbikes racing them along the path at speed.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Don't do anything if it's near your house, or if there's a likelihood of the yoof knowing where you live. Keyed cars or bricks through windows are a big inconvenience.

I try to keep my mouth shut if the offending creature isn't actually hurting me or my family. it sounds very much like "someone else's problem" but if they are just passing through then it's not really a nuisance. My elderly neighbours often put their bins out at 23:00 or 05:30 which makes a racket and has woken me up quite a few times; but I suppose we are conditioned to perceive certain types of behaviour as acceptable, and some as a nuisance.

In summary I'd be thinking: how much is this youth actually troubling me, or am I just annoyed that he's not considering other people's peace, which to be honest could apply to many people these days.

EDIT: just re-read your later post. If it's a constant noise pollution issue then deffo report it. That's what the reporting mechanis, is there for. Or maybe have a polite chat with the yoof first?

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
We have issues with illegal parking by the Local Car Boot Sale attendees.

Quick call to the Police and they then ring the owner and tell them to move.

Always wait 15 minutes so they get to the Boot Sale before returning though

Do the police have mobile numbers for every car owner? Or do they ring their home number and leave a message?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
My first car at 17 and two months was a mk2 Jaguar with a broken exhaust, I am sure I annoyed plenty of people.

Grumpy old moaners annoy me more than lively kids.
giphy.gif

Top Bottom