Cheap commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benj

Hi all,

I've been looking for a new bike recently, however I wondered if anyone could recommend me one as I'm no bike expert! My commute is 3 miles each way, all on flat road and sometimes down the canal path - so it'll need to be a hybrid bike.

I'm currently using a Raleigh Nitro bike that my Grandad gave me! A quick Google search says its from the early 90's - which explains why it's so difficult to ride, change gear etc.

My budget is ideally £200ish. Only due to the fact that my bike is left locked up at a train station all day and it's not unknown for the bikes to be stolen from there.

I did look at the Halfords Carrera modes - Parva and Subway. However I wasn't sure if the Subway warranted the extra £103 for the disc brakes and upgraded parts.

Any recommendations would be most welcome. Thanks!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The Subway is an awesome bike for the money. If you can stretch to the extra expense then I would say that would be a great purchase.

vickster

Legendary Member
I probably wouldn’t bother with the disc brakes given your spec especially if leaving in high risk location. Use the extra cash for a good solid D lock like the Abus Granit X

If you have a Cycle Republic closeby, get a testride of both

Alternatively look for something lightly used or used and well maintained

OP
OP
B

benj

The Subway is an awesome bike for the money. If you can stretch to the extra expense then I would say that would be a great purchase.

I have read good things about it. Typically it was £240 not long ago and I missed it - back to £300 now.

I can also get 10% Halfords discount through my work, so maybe I'll hold out for another offer.

Be good to see if anyone has any other recommendations though.

OP
OP
B

benj

I probably wouldn’t bother with the disc brakes given your spec especially if leaving in high risk location. Use the extra cash for a good solid D lock like the Abus Granit X

If you have a Cycle Republic closeby, get a testride of both

Alternatively look for something lightly used or used and well maintained

Cycle Republic only seemed to have the Carrera Subway in my local store.

Thanks for the lock recommendation though - definitely worthwhile considering the whole bike shed got done recently in broad daylight!

vickster

Legendary Member
Cycle Republic only seemed to have the Carrera Subway in my local store.

Thanks for the lock recommendation though - definitely worthwhile considering the whole bike shed got done recently in broad daylight!
Get a cable for the front wheel too. Or some pitlock skewers

Can CR order a Parva in for you to try if you like the look at it

Jason

for 3 miles I would be inclined to use 2 x D locks (Could they be left at the station?)
unfortunately train stations are high risk areas, as thieves know what time you arrive and return. A lightly used 2nd hand bike would be my advice

vickster

Legendary Member
If going that route, check the stands at the station can take 2 D locks, some stands are weird or space is tight!

Tin Pot

Guru

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

benj

Get a cable for the front wheel too. Or some pitlock skewers

Can CR order a Parva in for you to try if you like the look at it

I'm going to go have a look in Halfords as they definitely have it in the local store. Not sure they do test rides though?

for 3 miles I would be inclined to use 2 x D locks (Could they be left at the station?)
unfortunately train stations are high risk areas, as thieves know what time you arrive and return. A lightly used 2nd hand bike would be my advice

I've had a look at local second hands however they all still seem very expensive. Even an old Carrera Subway seems to sell for £150-200.

I also to be honest, don't really know what to look for if I went and viewed it!

If going that route, check the stands at the station can take 2 D locks, some stands are weird or space is tight!

They're the usual 'n' shaped (best way to describe it!) stands to lock your bike too - I think they're not too thick, so should take 2 D locks. They also have 3 'sheds' with key locks, however I have no idea how much these cost to use. If the train prices are anything to go by, I imagine they're expensive.

Would these be suitable for a bumpy canal towpath that I use twice a week?

Tin Pot

Guru
I'm going to go have a look in Halfords as they definitely have it in the local store. Not sure they do test rides though?

I've had a look at local second hands however they all still seem very expensive. Even an old Carrera Subway seems to sell for £150-200.

I also to be honest, don't really know what to look for if I went and viewed it!

They're the usual 'n' shaped (best way to describe it!) stands to lock your bike too. They also have 3 'sheds' with key locks, however I have no idea how much these cost to use. If the train prices are anything to go by, I imagine they're expensive.

Would these be suitable for a bumpy canal towpath that I use twice a week?

Yes, but depending on how confident you are you might prefer the hybrid.

Jason

singlespeeds would be okay for a flat ride, but it will limit the type of riding you can do ( will take time to develop the fitness to use a singlespeed on lumpy rides).
Not saying it's impossible, but if you are new to cycling, I would go for a bike with some gears

A 1990s Raleigh Nitro is about right for a 2x3 mile station bike. You could fit some better components if needed. The wheels and transmission may be worn out and need replacing. Invest in some good quality tyres such as Schwalbe Marathon, even the Plus model, and fit full length mudguards, some decent lights, lock.
Cost up the refresh and compare to a subway..
Also, it it the right size for you.

OP
OP
B

benj

A 1990s Raleigh Nitro is about right for a 2x3 mile station bike. You could fit some better components if needed. The wheels and transmission may be worn out and need replacing. Invest in some good quality tyres such as Schwalbe Marathon, even the Plus model, and fit full length mudguards, some decent lights, lock.
Cost up the refresh and compare to a subway..
Also, it it the right size for you.

Thanks for that. Do you know how much it would roughly cost to replace all the essential parts? And what exactly would need replacing? I did get some mudguards for it but they don't fit due to the length of the seatpost (it's tiny!).

When I cycle on it, it feels like one of those exercise bikes with the resistance turned way up!

Top Bottom