Cheap commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks for that. Do you know how much it would roughly cost to replace all the essential parts? And what exactly would need replacing? I did get some mudguards for it but they don't fit due to the length of the seatpost (it's tiny!).

When I cycle on it, it feels like one of those exercise bikes with the resistance turned way up!
Could be anything from knackered bottom bracket bearing to bad wheel bearings or even the brakes rubbing.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for that. Do you know how much it would roughly cost to replace all the essential parts? And what exactly would need replacing? I did get some mudguards for it but they don't fit due to the length of the seatpost (it's tiny!).

When I cycle on it, it feels like one of those exercise bikes with the resistance turned way up!
Any local Dr Bike events coming up near you to get it checked over?

Jason

I had my LBS upgrade,service and make good a cheap old pub bike, and it cost me just over £100 . It might be worth getting a quote before deciding on keeping it or going for a new bike.
A new bike will certainly lift your spirits, and increase your riding

vickster

Legendary Member
I had my LBS upgrade,service and make good a cheap old pub bike, and it cost me just over £100 . It might be worth getting a quote before deciding on keeping it or going for a new bike.
Indeed. As not as long not constantly worrying about it being nicked!!

OP
OP
B

benj

I think if it meant spending £100, then I'd just get a new bike, but i'll try and get a quote. Is there a good parts website that I can use? I'm happy to attempt to do the work myself. I'm used to fixing my car, so I'm sure I can attempt to fix my bike.

I also agree with increasing my riding if I got a new bike!

Indeed. As not as long not constantly worrying about it being nicked!!

However that is obviously a fear. I'll check with my home insurance whether I can cover my bike and how much the excess would be.

There's a guy at the station with an amazing bike, however he takes about 8 pieces off it every day and puts it in an oversized bag that he carries with him - which seems pretty extreme to me.

Raleigh Nitro is a reasonable quality bike with a good frame. The new equiv is probably Raleigh Pioneer. £100 buys you a very bad new bike* or may upgrade your Raleigh to hard-use daily commuter grade. You dont need fancy components, the entry level Shimano components are all good. It just needs to be assembled and adjusted correctly

* Bike Shaped Objects have heavy frames made from low grade steel with wonky alignment , poor wheels, components made from cheese or plastic. They are not build for heavy use.

Doug.

Veteran
Hi all,

I've been looking for a new bike recently, however I wondered if anyone could recommend me one as I'm no bike expert! My commute is 3 miles each way, all on flat road and sometimes down the canal path - so it'll need to be a hybrid bike.

I'm currently using a Raleigh Nitro bike that my Grandad gave me! A quick Google search says its from the early 90's - which explains why it's so difficult to ride, change gear etc.

My budget is ideally £200ish. Only due to the fact that my bike is left locked up at a train station all day and it's not unknown for the bikes to be stolen from there.

I did look at the Halfords Carrera modes - Parva and Subway. However I wasn't sure if the Subway warranted the extra £103 for the disc brakes and upgraded parts.

Any recommendations would be most welcome. Thanks!

Benj.

Quit defiantly a "parva" for you.
Looks a very reasonable priced nice looking cycle .
Plenty of gears.
Any upgrades should you wish are not expensive.
Halfords give a reasonable guarantee.
Get it bought.
I feel sure you will enjoy riding it.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
@MikeW-71 did one of those Raleigh's up a couple years ago - https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/raleigh-nitro-refurbishing.173488/

Maybe he'll have a better idea of the sort of things to look at :smile:

As long as the frame is not bent, I would probably choose doing up the Nitro over a £200 new bike for that sort of journey. For that £200 you upgrade it with some quite decent stuff, and it would be far less likely to be nicked.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Does it look like this?
$_86.jpg

Also, what seems to be wrong with it? :smile:

OP
OP
B

benj

@MikeW-71 did one of those Raleigh's up a couple years ago - https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/raleigh-nitro-refurbishing.173488/

Maybe he'll have a better idea of the sort of things to look at :smile:

As long as the frame is not bent, I would probably choose doing up the Nitro over a £200 new bike for that sort of journey. For that £200 you upgrade it with some quite decent stuff, and it would be far less likely to be nicked.

Thanks for the link - I'll have a read through.

Does it look like this?
View attachment 380501

Also, what seems to be wrong with it? :smile:

Yes that's the one! So I've been using it every day for the last 2 months since moving house - however it hadn't been used before that consistently for a number of years.

The pedals 'click' as they rotate - I did spray them with some lithium grease stuff which has quietened them down a bit. It also slips out of gears every now and then and the brakes grind and squeal. It also seems incredibly difficult to ride, not due to my own fitness, but it's just general hard work.

I'd also need to replace the inner tubes and tyres, but I expected that!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
That sounds like you probably need some new pedals, and the bike needs a good service (maybe a new chain, freewheel and cables). It shouldn't take much to get it back going.

Has it still go t the knobbly mountain bike tyres on it? If so then switching to a touring tyre like a Schwalbe Marathon, or Schwalbe Land Cruiser if the towpath is a bit muddier will make it much faster and more pleasant to ride. I used to commute on a MTB with knobbly tyres and then put some Michelin Country Rock tyres (good tyres but just about zero puncture protection) on with a slicker tread and round profile. I could have sworn it was a different bike afterwards.

Of course if you really came on here because you wanted a new bike then go for it. You can never have too many bikes :biggrin:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Oh, and as for mudguards, it looks like the bike has proper fixings for full mudguards. These would attach around the wheels rather than off the seatpost, so the seatpost height wouldn't be a problem. They would also keep far more mud and rain off of you.

OP
OP
B

benj

That sounds like you probably need some new pedals, and the bike needs a good service (maybe a new chain, freewheel and cables). It shouldn't take much to get it back going.

Has it still go t the knobbly mountain bike tyres on it? If so then switching to a touring tyre like a Schwalbe Marathon, or Schwalbe Land Cruiser if the towpath is a bit muddier will make it much faster and more pleasant to ride. I used to commute on a MTB with knobbly tyres and then put some Michelin Country Rock tyres (good tyres but just about zero puncture protection) on with a slicker tread and round profile. I could have sworn it was a different bike afterwards.

Of course if you really came on here because you wanted a new bike then go for it. You can never have too many bikes :biggrin:

It's got very worn out knobbly tyres. I've been considering changing them but wanted to weigh up whether it's worth getting a new bike first! Is there a good place online to buy all the necessary parts? Also, how do I know which parts fit?

Oh, and as for mudguards, it looks like the bike has proper fixings for full mudguards. These would attach around the wheels rather than off the seatpost, so the seatpost height wouldn't be a problem. They would also keep far more mud and rain off of you.

The old mudguards and fixings are no longer on the bike! They started falling off mid-ride a few years ago in the New Forest and were promptly discarded.

I think the seatpost is only short because it's not the original seat. It's actually very uncomfortable! I also cant extent it up at all, it's always on the lowest height because of the length of the post itself.

Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom