Cheap commuter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the stupid one

Über Member
Deciding to try to renovate an old bike is quite the undertaking if you've no experience. Even adjusting brakes and gears the first few times is stressful. It's worth it though, just for the sense of achievement even if you do eventually replace the bike.

There's a vast amount of information online, not least on cyclechat itself, but finding specifics can be time-consuming if you're unfamiliar with the jargon. I found the buyers' guide at Chain Reaction Cycles' website to be very thorough when thinking about changing components - http://hub.chainreactioncycles.com/buying-guides/

Youtube is fantastic for seeing how to do things, so search for "Stuck seatpost" and see what comes up (clue, GCN and RJ the Bike Guy right near the top!).

Planet X Bikes has a big sale on at the moment if you're looking to replace tyres etc. (D-locks too - I ordered two), and probably other places have sales on too.

I don't know how good the Raleigh Nitro frame is but it seems to be surrounded by fairly entry level components of its time. I'm not saying it isn't worth refurbishing but wouldn't see it that different from an entry level rigid mountain bike of today. Yes the components may be slightly better on the Raleigh but may also be heavily worn.

The Carrera Subway would be a far stronger and better bike.

Saying that I love seeing updated retro bikes that have escaped landfill.

You can get a decent V brake set on ebay for next to nothing. Will make the bike a lot safer.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Complete...kes-Levers-Cables-Front-Rear-Set/262549849297

You can turn it into a fixe for next to nothing too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Cha...ket-Fixed-Gear-Bike-Freewheel-FG/272803530424

Not that I'm suggesting fixie is the way to go, its just a cheap way of turning the bike into a robust commuting bike rather than investing in all new drivetrain components. Your old components may even have some value on ebay.

si_c

Guru
Definitely refurbish it.

I'd suggest the first port of call would be to get some replacement tyres as has already been suggested, this will cost you around £20, something like these would fit the bill perfectly. Getting a new seatpost isn't likely to be difficult either, around £10-15 on ebay, you just need to get the right diameter of post (there are quite a few).

Secondly I'd suggest getting a good service done from your local bike shop, get the bearings all checked out and regreased - this will both prolong their life, and also make riding easier. At the same time I'd expect them to replace the chain (~£10), rear gears (~£15-£20), and probably also the gear and brake cables (again, probably around ~£20), all this on top of the service (I'd expect around £50, but ask). This will probably in total set you back around £120, or half your budget. This will give you spare cash for a good set of lights and leave you with beer money.

If you wanted to save money or learn some additional skills you can do so by replacing the cables (both inner and outer) and brake blocks yourself, however you will need some tools to service the bottom bracket and wheel bearings, as well as change the rear gear cluster. Servicing the pedals can be done easily with a pedal spanner (15mm narrow spanner) and a bit of patience. None of these tasks are particularly difficult, but the tools themselves will add up reasonably quickly, as you will need cone spanners for the wheels, and likely a lockring tool for the bottom bracket, on the flip side though, once you have the tools you can service the bike incredibly cheaply, I reckon my tools have paid for themselves over the last couple of years.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Yes that's the one! So I've been using it every day for the last 2 months since moving house - however it hadn't been used before that consistently for a number of years.

The pedals 'click' as they rotate - I did spray them with some lithium grease stuff which has quietened them down a bit. It also slips out of gears every now and then and the brakes grind and squeal. It also seems incredibly difficult to ride, not due to my own fitness, but it's just general hard work.

I'd also need to replace the inner tubes and tyres, but I expected that!
I replaced the rear wheel on mine, but the front is still going strong. The brakes can squeal quite alarmingly, but I think this is down to the blocks being old, or alignment. Give the rims a thorough clean with soapy water and a scouring pad, then clean the faces of the blocks with some sandpaper and see how that does.

The gears slipping is probably just derailleur adjustment and cable tension as long as the chain and gears aren't excessively worn. Mine had never done many miles, so it was in perfect shape.

Replace any cables you have doubts about.

With some slick tyres on it (Conti Travel Contacts for me) it was suddenly so much better to ride on the road than with the knobblies.

OP
OP
B

benj

Thanks for the responses everyone. So I decided to get the Carrera Subway One - I realised I get 15% off at Halfords through my work and the bike was on offer at £230 at the time too. They also did £23 worth of free accessories this weekend, so it wasn’t too bad in the end.

Loving the bike so far too - although the handlebars seem to be on the highest option, but I could do with it being an inch higher? What are my options?

The frame fits perfectly. I’m 5ft 10” and I went for the 18” frame. Maybe I just need to give it time and get used to the handlebar height?

400bhp

Guru
I have read good things about it. Typically it was £240 not long ago and I missed it - back to £300 now.

I can also get 10% Halfords discount through my work, so maybe I'll hold out for another offer.

Be good to see if anyone has any other recommendations though.

Hi, if this is the same as what I get at my work, ie 10% off instore vouchers, then you can use the 10% off you get through British Cycling (if you are a member) on top too, making a 19% total saving.

Top Bottom