Chow Mein. Wet or dry? I always thought it was errhh chow mein.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Just had a flier pushed through the letter box. A new (to me) takeaway.
It is an impressive menu but I notice that every chow mein meal offers the choice of wet or dry.
Don't recall ever seeing that before and had to google it.
Do you have a favourite?

Chowmein with Chop Suey poured over becomes wet Chowmein. Welcome to American ethnic cuisine.

vickster

Legendary Member
‘House special’ chow mein usually has gravy on it at least from takeaways I’ve used. Not that I’d ever eat it, I like it dry (and without meat!)
Never heard described as wet though

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Chow Mein literally translates as "an order of fried noodles" and Chop Suey translates as "assorted (stewed) bits and pieces"

Make of that what you will.
I remember being in a Chinese takeaway and there was a shout from the kitchen ' put it in the chop suey'. Can't imagine what had wandered in.

Dadam

Our local asks you dry or gravy when you order chow mein.

Horrible stuff its band in our house even the tiny amount gives Mr73 a migraine that wipes her out for days.
Surprising what you find it in.

Double blind studies did not support the migraine or any other effects claims. Food authorities have approved it with no warning with the exception of Pakistan. The stuff is found in food and soup stocks among others food products. It is also found naturally in food types. OZ and NZ requires labelling it, others like US and EU do not.

Probably one of the longest running myths.

Here is one double blind study.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8282275/

1668971826354.png

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
Double blind studies did not support the migraine or any other effects claims. Food authorities have approved it with no warning with the exception of Pakistan. The stuff is found in food and soup stocks among others food products. It is also found naturally in food types. OZ and NZ requires labelling it, others like US and EU do not.

Probably the one of the longest running myths.

Here is one double blind study.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8282275/

View attachment 668667

71 sample size is crap to be conclusive.
Sorry but it is one of a number of things that do bring on her migraines. We spent the time and effect to track down what additives are the issue. Not adhoc but applied science and logic to it I’m more than qualified in science to do it.

Top Bottom