Chris Boardman - Manchester

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Cringed through the interview in the Guardian.

"Chris Boardman... is avoiding riding on Britain’s roads because he feels they have become too dangerous. 'The roads are statistically safe, but it doesn’t look it and it doesn’t feel it.'"

"I’m looking at parked cars, seeing which way wheels are turning, everything that’s going on around me. It’s just exhausting." - really?

"He wants to encourage at least 10% of people to cycle or walk rather than drive within 10 years." - aim high Chris

"[He] dislikes the word cyclist. He prefers 'person on a bike'” - rolls of the tongue.

"I’m not interested in cyclists" - because what sort of help will they be.

It does get vaguely more sensible towards the end but I really wish people who never ride on the road don't get control of cycling budgets.

You've got to read that in the context of what happened to his mum, nevertheless, perhaps he's had enough of cycling advocacy, he sounds worn by it, which is not a criticism, merely an observation based solely on that article but perhaps it's a shoot article.

OP
OP
KnackeredBike

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I am really sympathetic about his Mum but when planning cycle infrastructure you have to look at statistics.

Plus I know he says he doesn't care about current cyclists but it does none of us a favour when being badgered to wear a helmet/hi-viz/stay on the cycle path/this road is too busy for cyclists when you get coverage like

BLt6FM.png

I agreewith CB i avoid riding on roads around home becuse they are too dangerous if not for motorists then ita bloody potholes

Drago

Legendary Member
Surely he'd be conducting the same visual drills when driving his car?

Dan B

Disengaged member
Surely he'd be conducting the same visual drills when driving his car?
But the likelihood of anything bad happening (let's face it, drivers take more liberties when it's "only a cyclist") and the consequences if it does (you're not going to come off and break your hip if the driver in the lane alongside decides he wants to be in your lane instead) are both lessened. The checks may be the same but the stress is reduced

keithmac

Guru
I've noticed a genuine decline in roadcraft from car drivers over the last 10 years on my commute to work, feel like a sitting duck sometimes..

Drago

Legendary Member
But the likelihood of anything bad happening (let's face it, drivers take more liberties when it's "only a cyclist") and the consequences if it does (you're not going to come off and break your hip if the driver in the lane alongside decides he wants to be in your lane instead) are both lessened. The checks may be the same but the stress is reduced

There's a certain logic to that. Perhaps I - and some others - just don't get it because we don't enjoy driving, and find cycling psychologically soothing, even with the occasional fraught moments.

I wonder if his new outlook is down to what happened to his mum? Couldn't blame him if it was.

Whatever the reason, if that's his position he's the wrong person to be the Manc cycling bod.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
"I’m looking at parked cars, seeing which way wheels are turning, everything that’s going on around me. It’s just exhausting." - really?
Yes, really. Have you never felt the liberation of a good wide smooth track section away from motorists (not a roadside one where you've always one eye for cars using it to queue jump or park) and how you can relax a bit?

"I’m not interested in cyclists" - because what sort of help will they be.
Slight misinterpretation there! He doesn't need to be interested in committed cyclists because we're probably going to ride anyway. We've ridden the last few decades mostly despite council activities, after all. It's probably right if he's more interested in people who don't yet cycle, especially in Manchester, which is a city I've visited several times and never particularly thought of as a nice place to cycle.

It does get vaguely more sensible towards the end but I really wish people who never ride on the road don't get control of cycling budgets.
I don't much care whether or where or even if they cycle, as long as they build good stuff. Anyway, is he actually in control of any budget?

Top Bottom