Clunky rear derailleur on lower gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
A bit of a puzzler.

On the smallest four cogs the rear derailleur is smooth.

On the cogs larger it immediately is clunking, juddering.

Recent history: Reindexed it last week, did some hills in the rain noticed it not shifting properly, did a turbo session with it clunking weirdly (tried to stay in smooth gears). Bike is on the turbo in the garage mostly, used three to four times per week.

Alignment pics
Good:
IMG_7879.JPG

Bad:
IMG_7880.JPG

The whole derailleur starts juddering.

Can't upload the video :sad:

Your B-tension screw mounting has broken off and now the pulley teeth connect the cassette teeth through the chain on the bigger sprockets.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I would check the B-screw, or whatever Campagnolo call their system that isn't a B-screw setting. Got any side-on pics in large and small sprockets?

S-Express

As YS says - B screw appears to be missing. If the boss has broken off, then it's time for a new rear mech.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Thanks, but the linked thread has a bunch of dead links.

I seem to recall the H screw, I'll find my campag manual. If something has broken of, it's something I've never adjusted.

winjim

Smash the cistern

Great I'll play around with it but it doesn't seem to do anything so far.

Yes, that's the one. It's a subtle little device but what it does is to increase/decrease the distance between the guide pulley and the sprockets so that they don't touch through the chain. It is only effective in the bigger sprockets since in the smaller ones, the RD's spring pulls the pulley away from the cassette.

It may be obvious once you've cured the bike of the pervasive siphilitis and you can see what's what.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Okay loosening it completely so it's nearly falling out has given me two more gears, but no more.

It's not clear to me what it is loosening, can it be replaced? Could whatever it is require lubrication?

I've had a variety of problems with my bike since using it on the turbo on the garage regularly, with salt forming and cables sticking.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Yes, that's the one. It's a subtle little device but what it does is to increase/decrease the distance between the guide pulley and the sprockets so that they don't touch through the chain. It is only effective in the bigger sprockets since in the smaller ones, the RD's spring pulls the pulley away from the cassette.

It may be obvious once you've cured the bike of the pervasive siphilitis and you can see what's what.

Are you saying that cleaning the shi... off might fix it?

Top Bottom