cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
out this morning and managed just under 13 miles :sad:

blisteringly cold even if we haven't had any snow, toes were pretty chilly and i'm surprised i still have 10 fingers! even with un-insulted long finger gloves

worst part is that apparently 23mm tyres with no tread and about 115-120psi in the rear and 85-90 psi in the front have no chance what so ever on black ice :sad:
descending rather cautiously at probably only 18-20 mph and going round a right hand corner got blinded by the sun, couldn't see anything and hit black ice! managed to pull it off by slowing down very slowly and not steering too much whilst shifting my weight about to keep here up :smile:

pulled over 50 metres down the road as i was rather shaken up and decided to put my front tyre on a bit of black ice whilst standing still and....... surprise surprise i had no grip what so ever

lesson, be bloody careful out there people and don't risk it for a biscuit!
Cheers Ed

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Very bloody cold.... I went out today for the first time since Fridays snow. The roads are still iced up and it was driving me mad. A steady 1 hour for the 8 mile round trip with a couple of back end skiddy bum squeakers but nothing too bad. My big toes were killing me though, I didnt wrap up well. The hybrid has Schwalbe Tyrago tyres that I reckon give a little bit more grip than yours ^_^

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
yep, i think i need a pair of vittoria rubino's like this
1471357_1.jpg

Cheers Ed

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
I went out today

and bought a turbo trainer :laugh:
i want one but i have a few reasons as to why i' not getting one YET
  1. i have a few other rather important things to spend my money on
  2. still trying to work out somewhere to put a turbo!
  3. to keep track of my miles i need a computer with cadence, preferably a garmin edge 500 with the cadence meter but this is another £120 absolute minimum :sad:

will have to wait for the time being :sad:
Cheers Ed

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Halfords have them for £84 right now . I paid £99 and got the riser block , dvd and water bottle but I only really wanted the riser block . Too cheap to miss the deal I think .

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Are you sure those tyres would work any better on black ice.
not sure but should be a bit better in winter for general winter crud and etc than summer slicks
Cheers Ed

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If you don't have studded tyres and you hit black ice - it is probably going to end in tears! I don't have such tyres so I either stay off the bike when ice is about, or stay away from my beloved hilltop lanes and stick to gritted roads.

I learned my lesson years ago after 3 crashes in one ride, fortunately none of which did major damage to me or my bike, though they were all potential hip/bike breakers. (Heavy falls, long slides, and then tumbling with the bike into walls, ditches etc.)

Sharky

Guru
QUOTE="young Ed, post: 34478, member: 30139"]not sure but should be a bit better in winter for general winter crud and etc than summer slicks
Cheers Ed[/QUOTE]
I use those rubino's (23mm) for all except the winter months. Switched to 28mm conti contacts in November. Not just for the ice, but more for the extra air in the tyre to cushion against all the pot holes and wet leaves etc. Does give me more confidence when it's icy, but I tend to head for the turbo when it's sub zero now.

image.jpg

I would also drop the pressure from 120 a bit.

Cheers keith

Katherine

Guru
In order to get the miles in, In this cold weather, I have been sticking to the main roads which is a bit boring and frustrating and only going out for an hour at a time which is all my toes can bear despite 3 pairs of socks!

Top Bottom