CTC Times up !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Hi Simon. £12 ! Well looks like you will be getting a cheque then at the end of this month.

Will my CTC number stay the same, and what do you receive as confirmation your affiliated and covered ?

I take it thats £12 for 12 month ?

Sorry for the dumb questions
not dumb at all.........

yes, £12 for twelve months. You still get the discounts at shops. You get a membership card. And you get on my mailing list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You don't get the mag.

it takes two weeks or so to go through, so give yourself a bit of time if you want continuity of 3rd party insurance. As for the number - that may stay the same or it may not. There's no telling.

The BC £24 deal is simply twice the price - but don't tell ColinJ. If they had a better deal than the CTC I'd have gone with them, but it's a far worse deal - as the BC bods were kind enough to accept when I was shoppiing around. And I think, Banjo, that BC will not provide the organisers insurance within the £24, for which The Fridays pays £75 a year. If memory serves it was £60 per ride of 100 people which would work out at over ten times the price. Getting an e-mail from Sir Chris doesn't make up the difference and subsidising the GB/Sky team isn't on my to-do list.

A word of warning, YM. I intend to double The Fridays subs next year. From £1 to £2. Start saving.

And RL - as for campaigning - you are having tin bath. http://www.cyclechat..._1#entry1533431

And RL - as for campaigning - you are having tin bath. http://www.cyclechat..._1#entry1533431

It was quite amusing reading that in the light of Blackfriars Bridge and Camden Road.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
It was quite amusing reading that in the light of Blackfriars Bridge and Camden Road.
as for the former I've not seen the CTC in evidence (I'm not overly struck by the LCC's stance, but, fair do's, they're making a stink about it).

as for the former I've not seen the CTC in evidence (I'm not overly struck by the LCC's stance, but, fair do's, they're making a stink about it).

I don't think it realistic to expect CTC to get stuck into very local issues with no national implications. LCC does kick up a lot of stink about issues but doesn't appear to make that much real impact or progress IMO. Blackfriars and Camden are just two examples where even with a cycling mayor they are not making progress.

I am more than happy with what CTC have achieved but I have seen very little visible impact of LCC on my cycling in London. And yes I am aware of http://lcc.org.uk/pages/successes

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I don't think it realistic to expect CTC to get stuck into very local issues with no national implications. LCC does kick up a lot of stink about issues but doesn't appear to make that much real impact or progress IMO. Blackfriars and Camden are just two examples where even with a cycling mayor they are not making progress.

I am more than happy with what CTC have achieved but I have seen very little visible impact of LCC on my cycling in London. And yes I am aware of http://lcc.org.uk/pages/successes
There is no national campaigning any more. Just e-mails to the converted, and redundancies in the offing. And, actually, yes, I would expect the CTC to support local campaigning, but they don't even have an up-to-date list of RTR reps. Now, I've seen the LCC work at close quarters, and they have hits and misses, but some hits are better than no hits. There's more campaigning expertise in Lambeth CTC than there is in Parklands.

I think supporting the charity is a lifestyle choice, a bit like sending shopping at Waitrose (of which I'm guilty). If you want to spend the money, be my guest. I just want to be a member of a cycling club that provides third party insurance.

YM - twelve quid, and you're in!

sorry! Think of it this way. Eighteen rides for two quid is about 11p a ride. As opposed to......... http://www.moonriders.co.uk/

You should see how good their cover is though.

helpforheroes.jpg

You need cover like that too if you don't use any lights.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Was Roger doing this in his own time then?
if that is really worth the extra twentyfive quid to you, then pay the money..............

if that is really worth the extra twentyfive quid to you, then pay the money..............

That didn't answer the question. I asked whether, given your statements on CTC national campaigning, RG was doing national campaigning in his own time? Because either that or your statement is incorrect.

Its £60 by the way - I pay for family membership.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
1. It's not national campaigning. A campaign involves mobilising people - CTC members for example. Roger doesn't do campaigning. He does lobbying. Some of that lobbying has been successful. Some of it has been beside the point.

2. I'm not going to pay for it. If you want to - be my guest.

That didn't answer the question. I asked whether, given your statements on CTC national campaigning, RG was doing national campaigning in his own time? Because either that or your statement is incorrect.

Its £60 by the way - I pay for family membership.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I was avoiding wading in on this topic as I have personal experience of it. I was one of the members of staff who left for 'meaning' in the midst of mindless admin.

Simon is on the ball and right on the money with the things he is aware of . I'm not going into it further with the things I know having being on the inside as I left the CTC behind me after only three months of working there - there is plenty I could say but I'm not going to on a public forum.

sheddy

Legendary Member
BTW, does anyone know if CTC affiliate membership gives one free access to Russel Jones Walker Solicitors ?

Top Bottom