CTC Times up !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
My CTC membership is coming to an end and I need to re-new my membership. It's £37 a year of what I believe could be to much ?. The cover I have is so I can compete in cycling or if I have a accident, its just the basic cover I have

Should I ditch em and find cover from another in club ?

I saved more than that with the discount on my Edge 800

I have never ever failed to get more value in discounts than I have paid out for the membership

OP
OP
YahudaMoon

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Hi. Can't say Ive ever saved any money purchasing stuff with being a member of CTC. How do you do that then ? I ve heard you can though Ive never seen anything that gives discounts to CTC members.

OP
OP
YahudaMoon

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Edit. It's £39 lol.

I heard someone told CTC they would not re-new thtere membership due to the way it was changed to a charitable status.

CTC offered them a discount if they would stay a member.

Im not sure if it's true, maybe I dreamed it ?

OP
OP
YahudaMoon

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Hi Simon. £12 ! Well looks like you will be getting a cheque then at the end of this month.

Will my CTC number stay the same, and what do you receive as confirmation your affiliated and covered ?

I take it thats £12 for 12 month ?

Sorry for the dumb questions

The CTC do a lot of good work on behalf of all cyclists. I am a member to demonstrate my support of what they do, not because I get some financial value out of it. If everyone goes for the cheapest option it just makes it that much harder for them to find the resources to work on behalf of all of us.

Just my £0.02 worth.

OP
OP
YahudaMoon

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Yeah but CTC ain't the peoples club anymore and the voting system that got them into a charitlbe status was all wrong

Davidc

Guru
I agree with Red Light. I don't agree with what's been happening but think it still needs members.

I do save a bit with the 5 years for the price of 4 option.

The stuff about discounts is on the web site.

Yeah but CTC ain't the peoples club anymore and the voting system that got them into a charitlbe status was all wrong

Personally I think the whole charitable/not charitable thing is a big non-issue. At the end of the day its all down to the tax and other issues as to which is financially more advantageous. As someone who has been involve in running both charitable and non-charitable organisations I am amazed at the heat it has generated.

What hasn't changed one iota is the good people out there like Roger Geffen battling on behalf of all us cyclists - lobbying Government, responding to consultations, fighting where necessary. Have a read of the transcript of the Northern Ireland Assembly report on the proposed mandatory helmet Bill to see the sort of work CTC are putting in behind the scenes for all of us - in this case to successful retain freedom of choice on a controversial issue. That sort of thing is why I am paying my money to them. If you are walking away from all of that just because its now a charity then I think you are cutting off your nose.

Personally I think the whole charitable/not charitable thing is a big non-issue. At the end of the day its all down to the tax and other issues as to which is financially more advantageous.

There are other things too like whether staff members can be trustees. If I'm not mistaken staff members can't be trustees in charities. Was this an issue for the CTC?

Cheddar George

oober member
I let my membership lapse and they emailed me with the £ 12.00 offer. Renewed it over the phone .... all quite easy, the only thing is that i don't receive the magazine but apparently i can view it online if i want.

Much like the OP my main reason is for the insurance.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
British Cycling charges £24 for Ride membership which gives you third party insurance plus legal support for leisure riding sportives and Audax.

Top Bottom