Cycling glasses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brock

I've seen these Bolle glasses recommended before, and they do look great. I've been assured they are UV protective but I seen nothing that states that they are. Can someone confirm that these 'safety' glasses actually can be used for protection from the sun while cycling as well as bees?

Tynan

Veteran
isn't it important that the lenses are optically correct for corner of the eye action?

not sure you get that with safety glasses

wearing cheapest available, still came with three lenses, using the orange ones, like them a lot

Road Fiddler

I have a pare of Oakley Pennys but are not too practical on the bike as i have a blind spot when i look behind so have ordered a pare of Specialized Helix Adaptalite for when i am on the bike

Peyote

I've been using a pair of DHB triple from Wiggle, they've got three interchangeable lenses like the Bloc and Oakley ones, but cost about much less (£25), not sure they look as cool! But then Oakleys are everywhere these days anyway (:blush:).

Anyway the DHB ones have lasted me two years so far with no problems, I think Wiggle may have brought out a set with four different lenses now too (though I doubt I'd use them all).

Blonde

Fit is the most important thing. My cheapo ones are all far too big for my face/head. Cheaper ones usually trap my eyelashes. They also tend to rest against my forehead (making me sweaty) yet they do not come in underneath the eyes sufficiently to keep my eys from watering with the cold air streaming past. Cycling glasses should be a snug fit but not actually resting against your forehead, they should be comfortable on your nose (ones with an adjustable nose peice are useful if you cant get others to fit well) and they should be contoured to your face, coming in underneath and around the eye sockets, so that particles dont fly into your eyes and your eyes don't water with air flow. I suspect that more expensive brands actually do some research into the 'average' face shape and use computer software to base their designs on that. Of course if your face shape or size differs a great deal from the 'average', you will then find it harder to get glasses to fit well. The Oakleys I now wear have an anti-fog design (which does work) and they also fit round my face much better than any cheap glasses I have previously had (including safety glasses). Oakleys are expensive, but you do get great after sales service. If yours break after the warranty runs out, they will do a part exchange or offer replacement pairs (of newer models) at the same sort of price as the very cheapest cycling specs, once you have bought your first pair at full price.

fisha

Guru
Another oakley person here too. I use Mag Pro M-Frames ( fancy magnesium frame instead of plastic ).

I know you can get cheaper ones, but optically its just too annoying for me. I like to be able to see clearly with no distortion ... oakleys are solidly reliable in this aspect. Also, they are really wide and sweeping and completely cover my field of view. The ability to swap lenses is great too.

Off the bike i have another 3 pairs of oakleys ... they just are that good and worth the money.

DLB

these glasses with 3 lenses - the tinted ones are for sunny weather (like sunglasses), but what about the clear and yellow? Are the clear ones just used to keep bugs out of your face on non-sunny days? And the yellow - no idea here about those?

fisha

Guru
the yellowish ones are meant to increase the constrasts.

they work pretty well . . . even in bright sunshine. Your eyes take a little time to get used to them, but they are quite good in dull conditions.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
I used to use the yellow brolle safety glasses at work on a dull or not in a good mood day (and on the bike). Makes it look nice n sunny n cheers you up no end.

However, the yellow sodium lights when on the night shift used to depress me to hell, or was that because it was the night shift ?

Tynan

Veteran
yeah, yellow is meant to increase contrast, I use that and I like it plenty

a mate also said they make you feel 'happy', something in that, the world doesn't look as much fun when I take them off at the end of a ride

DLB

do they affect the red, yellow or green at traffic lights?

i'm sure i remember some advice given to drivers about not using a certian colour of lense as it makes traffic lights more dnagerous. Might have been blue lenses.

Blonde

The lenses you get with more expensive glasses don't change the colours in the same way as cheaper ones, you get better contrast so you see things more clearly and they are optically correct in shape, so you do get better vision with them. They also appear to be more scratch resistant, although that may be just because I am a lot more careful with the expensive lenses!

If cheaper ones work for you, that's great. I have had cheaper multi-lense glasses from Pro Bike Kit and found them OK until I tried Oakleys, and then I realised how poorly the cheap ones fitted in comparison and how much my eyes watered whilst wearing them, and now I wouldn't go back!

Top Bottom