Cycling In The Rain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ed68

Ok, it's going to pee it down tomorrow.

I still want to go for a ride however wondered whether I would be better wearing a waterproof cycling jacket without a hood or a jacket that has a hood that I can wear over my helmet.

I'm not sure whether getting my helmet wet (fnar fnar) could cause any problems with the polystyrene.

what do you reckon?

longers

Legendary Member
Your helmet will be fine in the rain, riding with a hood on is dangerous as it impairs your hearing and vision. If you wanted to keep your head dry stick a hat on underneath your helmet but it might be too warm for that.

It might be too warm for your waterproof jacket anyway, you might be better off just getting wet.

Hope you enjoy your ride though (and it's not too wet, but wet enough that sunday is dry :evil:)

Bigtallfatbloke

Dont cover the helmet with a hood, it will reduce your hearing and block visio9n as you turn to look behind you. If it is really that important to keep your head dry then how about wearing a shower cap (avoid the pink and frilly variety) under the helmet?..or get a helmet cover. Personally i wouldnt bother with anything..just get wet, just dont get cold.

OP
OP
E

Ed68

Thanks for the responses.

It's totally unimportant to me to keep my head dry in fact I'd prefer to not wear a hood - I was only concerned about damaging my helmet.

I've only had a bike 3 weeks but want to be out tomorrow and Sunday as I don't get the opportunity during the week.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
If it rains heavily I'd worry about the rest of you, perhaps wear shorts?

I find a fair bit of rain just runs down the grooves next to the vents on the helmet and drops off when it's raining really hard. Last time I got caught in torrential rain it was actually pretty fun, apart from not being in shorts.

OP
OP
E

Ed68

Bugger - just remembered I wear glasses so that could cause me a problem in the rain.

I should be able to dig out some old disposable contact lenses for tomorrow but may need to look for some mini windscreen wipers for future rides.

Noodley

Ed68 said:
Bugger - just remembered I wear glasses so that could cause me a problem in the rain.

I should be able to dig out some old disposable contact lenses for tomorrow but may need to look for some mini windscreen wipers for future rides.

You need a cycling cap - the peak keeps the rain off your glasses.

OP
OP
E

Ed68

Noodley said:
You need a cycling cap - the peak keeps the rain off your glasses.

I take it you can wear one under your helmet?

PS I'm off to bed now so that I'm 'fresh' for my ride!

dodgy

You won't damage your helmet by getting it wet!

Dave.

OP
OP
E

Ed68

Noodley said:
Yes, if you insist on wearing one :biggrin::evil::biggrin:

To be honest I don't particularly want to wear one but I guess it's best to be able to see where you're going!

It's not like it's going to affect how i look considering I'll be wearing a 'geeky looking' helmet anywhere. It is a black Specialized helmet so not too bad but think they all look pretty awful!

DLB

Just returned from a ride in the rain and encountered one of those 'you've been framed moments'....

travelling downhill at about 20mph under a railway bridge. the road is clear and so i'm not worried - but perhaps i should be. I'd stupidly forgotten that the road always floods here on the other side of the road. And, of course, as i pass the lowest point a car is coming from the opposite direction FAST. TOO FAST. I get hit with a wall, and i do mean a wall, of water which surprised the life out of me. Made me smile afterwards though ;)

I don't remember this hazard being covered in 'cyclecraft'??

Ed68 said:

I wear glasses too...the peak on the helmet doesn't seem to keep much water away, but I find a baseball cap tends to do the job pretty well (and keeps my head dry and warm). Only problem is it completely ruins my spikes ;)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Cycling caps are good. In the wet i wear one, unless it is really raining then i leave it.
For cycling in heavy rain, its got to be the most fun thing to do. Getting soaking wet, everywhere is soaking, you walk in the house and you are still dripping. Got to love it:biggrin:

Top Bottom