Cycling Shorts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DinasBran

I've just bought my first pair of cycling shorts for about £24. The're very good and all - padding is very comfortable, but I was wondering what the difference is between a 6 and 8 panel pair of shorts? (beyond the obvious one). In addition, as you go into the higher price ranges what benefits do they have? Are the bibs for the really serious cyclists or do they have some advantage over the shorts?

Chris James

Über Member
8 panel tend to give a better fit (depending on your shape) and bibs work well as you don't have a waist band to dig into you.

On the other hand they are more difficult if you need a call of nature.

domtyler

Über Member
Bibs are far more comfortable than elasticated waists, they do not exert any pressure on your tummy for instance.

More panels give a better fit up to a point.

More expensive versions will have superior cut, better material and stitching quality and of course the label!!

Tynan

Veteran
bibs are night and day better, comfort, fit, the lot and you can still manage to piss, summer cut especially

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Having worn dhb bib tights for the last two winters and Lidl padded shorts in the summer, I decided to splash out on some dhb bib shorts as the Lidl shorts are getting pretty uncomfortable and chafing me regularly.

I ordered 2 pairs and they arrived at work today so I wore a pair for the ride home. Wow - sheer luxury ! They fitted so well, were so silky smooth and totally comfortable. The Lidl ones are about to be chucked to the back of the wardrobe now.

Top Bottom