1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cycling Shorts

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by DinasBran, 5 Jun 2008.

1. DinasBran

DinasBran New Member

I've just bought my first pair of cycling shorts for about £24. The're very good and all - padding is very comfortable, but I was wondering what the difference is between a 6 and 8 panel pair of shorts? (beyond the obvious one). In addition, as you go into the higher price ranges what benefits do they have? Are the bibs for the really serious cyclists or do they have some advantage over the shorts?

2. Chris James

Chris James Über Member

8 panel tend to give a better fit (depending on your shape) and bibs work well as you don't have a waist band to dig into you.

On the other hand they are more difficult if you need a call of nature.

3. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Bibs are far more comfortable than elasticated waists, they do not exert any pressure on your tummy for instance.

More panels give a better fit up to a point.

More expensive versions will have superior cut, better material and stitching quality and of course the label!!

4. Hi DinasBran, welcome to the forum. I asked a similar question about bib shorts a few weeks back and from the replies it seemed like most people preferred them as they find them more comfortable.

5. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

bibs are night and day better, comfort, fit, the lot and you can still manage to piss, summer cut especially

6. goo_mason

goo_mason Champion barbed-wire hurdler

Having worn dhb bib tights for the last two winters and Lidl padded shorts in the summer, I decided to splash out on some dhb bib shorts as the Lidl shorts are getting pretty uncomfortable and chafing me regularly.

I ordered 2 pairs and they arrived at work today so I wore a pair for the ride home. Wow - sheer luxury ! They fitted so well, were so silky smooth and totally comfortable. The Lidl ones are about to be chucked to the back of the wardrobe now.