Cycling Tiredness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mattk50

MattK50
Hi,

I am just so tired today from not sleeping. Whenever I push the boundaries, yesterday got up to 28 miles (ok not much to you guys), I then have a terrible nights sleep. I'm not sure if it's leg muscle ache keeping me awake or what, you'd think I'd sleep like a log! Anyone else get this?

Matt

Hello Matt, in answer to your question I am not about to respond with any medical facts. But I do know that whenever I push myself and my 68 year old body through the black mist/wall of pain (which I actually quite enjoy doing!) that it always takes a reasonable large amount of time for my body to return to normality.
This has happened throughout my competitive life, no matter which sport I was involved in be that swimming, cross country, rugger or cycling and the longer my body and more importantly my mind has been beyond this wall, the longer it will always take to recover.
These days, because of various bone problems I have as well as arthritis I have been prescribed a quite high strength of amitriptyline which helps to numb the pain and generally to knock me out at night, but without it I am afraid to say most of my nights would be sleepless.

D

Deleted member 1258

I sometimes get this after a hard ride, my mind just keeps replaying the day, it doesn't happen very often, just once in a while. What I usually do is find time to have a nap at some point during the following day and all returns to normal.

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
Thanks, not just me then. Yeah had a couple of glasses of wine last night but just made me more 'buzzy' rather than tired. Working from home today, might see if I can sneak in a nap at some point!

Anyone try jot and cold showers on aching legs after a ride? If it is your aches keeping you awake (my convinced personally) then I found running a shower head at the hottest you can stand then changing to full on cold water until its starting to hurt then back to hot. Repeat a few times then go back to paying attention to nutrition and hydration. Also perhaps leave gadgets alone for a few hours before bed.

Just a few ideas but by no means any good. I've rarely had sleeping problems. Head touches pillow = asleep within 2 minutes. As a kid it was quicker, almost narcolepsy levels of falling asleep when the head hits the pillow.

Sleep is very, very important IMHO. Just one early night and the average speed on my commute to work goes up possibly 4mph!

snorri

Legendary Member
Anyone else get this?
No, never had anything like that.
Could be an age thing, general fitness, cycling fitness, the weather, the terrain, etc etc.........

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
Hi,

I am just so tired today from not sleeping. Whenever I push the boundaries, yesterday got up to 28 miles (ok not much to you guys), I then have a terrible nights sleep. I'm not sure if it's leg muscle ache keeping me awake or what, you'd think I'd sleep like a log! Anyone else get this?

Matt
Hi Matt,

Your post raises a few questions.
- 28 miles is going to take over 2 hours and 2 hrs of exercise if not used to it is going to be tiring.
- "push the boundaries" ? How much further than normal is this? Do you get the same problem with the shorter rides? May just need to be a little more patient and extend the distances more gradual over time.
- "leg muscle ache". If legs are aching, could be a sign of using too high a gear - try spinning in a much lower gear. Also could be the saddle too low and putting too much strain on the thighs.

I too will be 68 next month and my rides are rarely more than 60 - 90 minutes. I find the shorter rides are easier to recover from and enables me to go out again much sooner.

Cheers
Keith

iluvmybike

Über Member
I find when I push it a bit I get 'over-tired' and have a poor night's sleep and sometimes achy legs - with a bit of rest & the right food & drink it all goes back to normal day after. I don't know your age but I've found this more so as the years have got on for me!

OP
OP
Mattk50

Mattk50

MattK50
Feeling a bit better after a snooze! Muscle ache has gone, just legs tensing at night keeping me awake after each long ride. I normally do about 20 miles 3 times a week since Nov. I'm 49 and keep hydrated. 28 miles was the second longest ride to date though.

Top Bottom