Cycling Weekly Letter of the Week: Priceless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alp1950

Hilarious letter of the week in CW this week "Rank Amateurs" supposedly complaining about the amateurism the author experienced on his first Sunday ride.

The entire letter has to be read for its full effect but includes the priceless lines "....the club run feed stop which disappointingly was merely a cafe also used by the general public. Seriously, I was expected to queue to refuel from fare that lacked any energy gels or sports bars".

Great piece of satire taking the p*ss out of the sportif-focussed rider & worthy of inclusion in Private Eye.

..... at least I hope it was satirical because if it wasn't I shudder to think........

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I saw it and it made me laugh :rolleyes:

The funniest bit for me was that they expected the club run to be signposted and have marshals and that the rider kept riding off the front of the group and had to wait .............Like to see them try that off the front of most chain gangs .

How did it get ot be the letter of the week? how can some one be so misinformed .

What was the last bit? no wonder pros do not join in the club scene because we are soooo sloooow..........( well i am anyway ;) )

Tyres23

Just read it and was making sure it wasnt a miss print from first week in April !!!
May be he should be in TdF next year if soo good

screenman

Legendary Member
It is a wind up. Good one though, if the aim of a good letter is to get people talking about it this one certainly won.

Garz

Squat Member
Anyone able to scan the page?
biggrin.gif

Brahan

Über Member
It was good. Touche.

OP
OP
alp1950

alp1950

Follow-up this week to the original letter by "Les Trebor" from Cockermouth (sic) in this weeks CW (Taking clubs to task). Not quite as brilliant as the original but good to see the joke continuing.

The author (who rides an electronic shift geared Pinarello) complains that the club ride took him along unmarshalled country roads with precarious bumps, holes and loose stones. Shocking.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The original post was made on 2nd November which was a Wednesday and refers to "this week's" edition but Cycling Weekly comes out on Thursdays, so it was the 27th October edition. The follow-up is in this week's edition, which was yesterday, 10th November.

Whats the follow up?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
When I read the letter, my first impression was, what a co*k. I think he was expecting a sort of sportive with dedicated feed stations and waymarked route signage. Then I thought that it was just a windup. Now I don't know what to think about the author.

Top Bottom