Cycliq Fly Cameras Help Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Thanks Slick for your thoughts.
Please anyone take a look at this 2nd short video. This is more typical of what I see when riding. The footage is quite dark, which is not ideal but I cannot adjust
the exposure so I have to accept that. Just two vehicles travelling at normal speed. Using pause can you identify the reg No's ? I'm willing to accept it is my eyes
that are failing ^_^ This again is 1080/60 and going on what I have seen on my Yi 4K Action cam (at 1080/60) is very poor. Incidentally the Yi is half the price of the Fly12. If users confirm this is typical I will probably accept it but have I got a 'lemon' ?
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-XCrkFrL/0/aa395b44/1920/i-XCrkFrL-1920.mp4

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Just a quick check - are you judging the quality after it has been uploaded somewhere or natively looking on your computer? The reason I ask is that most hosting sites will degrade the quality.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Thanks Slick for your thoughts.
Please anyone take a look at this 2nd short video. This is more typical of what I see when riding. The footage is quite dark, which is not ideal but I cannot adjust
the exposure so I have to accept that. Just two vehicles travelling at normal speed. Using pause can you identify the reg No's ? I'm willing to accept it is my eyes
that are failing ^_^ This again is 1080/60 and going on what I have seen on my Yi 4K Action cam (at 1080/60) is very poor. Incidentally the Yi is half the price of the Fly12. If users confirm this is typical I will probably accept it but have I got a 'lemon' ?
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-XCrkFrL/0/aa395b44/1920/i-XCrkFrL-1920.mp4

That doesn't look as clear as the videos I'm used to from my Fly12 (not the CE version, the older one). I haven't used mine for several months so I'm going by memory here; I seem to remember a setting within the app that asks if your filming occurs in normal daylight, twilight or night. Maybe you could change that setting and see how it goes. Check it on your own PC monitor straight from the card as some hosting sites degrade the footage quality, giving the impression your camera is crap. Also, mine is angled downward so that I don't get too much bright sky skewing the exposure.

Scaleyback

Veteran
That doesn't look as clear as the videos I'm used to from my Fly12 (not the CE version, the older one). I haven't used mine for several months so I'm going by memory here; I seem to remember a setting within the app that asks if your filming occurs in normal daylight, twilight or night. Maybe you could change that setting and see how it goes. Check it on your own PC monitor straight from the card as some hosting sites degrade the footage quality, giving the impression your camera is crap. Also, mine is angled downward so that I don't get too much bright sky skewing the exposure.

Thanks ‘gc’
No setting on my app for daylight,twilight choices.
I have the camera angled down for the very reason you state, maybe it could go lower ?
Yes, footage is viewed on my PC and link is hosted on Smugmug. I have used Smugmug for my photo’s for years and if there is any loss of quality I have never noticed it.
I think the next step is upload some video footage to Cycliq and see what that say.
I do appreciate any ‘incident’ involving myself would mean the vehicle would be a lot nearer to me and presumably would capture clearer details. However
Incidents happen around road users that do not affect the cyclist personally but video footage could be useful to other ‘injured parties’

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Thanks ‘gc’
No setting on my app for daylight,twilight choices.
I have the camera angled down for the very reason you state, maybe it could go lower ?
Yes, footage is viewed on my PC and link is hosted on Smugmug. I have used Smugmug for my photo’s for years and if there is any loss of quality I have never noticed it.
I think the next step is upload some video footage to Cycliq and see what that say.
I do appreciate any ‘incident’ involving myself would mean the vehicle would be a lot nearer to me and presumably would capture clearer details. However
Incidents happen around road users that do not affect the cyclist personally but video footage could be useful to other ‘injured parties’

Daft idea just popped into my head: there isn't a peel-off lens protector still on the lens is there?

P.S. I'll check my settings when I get home.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Ok, it seems the video compression on the Fly12CE is the problem. I have a Yi Action Cam that I have used when cycling, the footage is superior but
the user experience does not begin to match the 'switch on and forget' Fly12CE. The Fly 12CE records at 1080/60 in 5 mins segments and the file size is 1.19Gb.
My Yi also recording at 1080/60 records in approx 4Gb segments and I get between 6-8 mins depending on the subject matter ( = more detail, shorter time span)
Decisions, decisions ?

p.s And this rapid response from Cycliq support

My name is Karl from Cycliq Support Team.

I understand that you are having some problems with your unit. Allow me to help you out with your concern.

The license plates that you are trying to check are slightly far from your right of way and therefore it might come as a bit blurred.

Please note that since our devices are designed to look at license plates of those cars which are very close to you and the ones who are likely to have made contact with you.

Hope this helps! For further concerns, please don't hesitate to reach us.

Cheers,

Karl
Cycliq Support Guru

P.p.s I do see their point.

Scaleyback

Veteran
I've checked mine and there's no such setting, only road or off-road. I was remembering a setting on my previous camera, a Contour HD, sorry about that.

I don’t have the road/off road setting either ‘gc’ The CE is a much changed
product it seems.

I have decided to keep the Fly12CE. It is a valid point made by Cycliq that the camera is designed to read details close to the cyclist. I was judging it again an ‘action camera’ that has different design criteria.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Yes, the black van is readable but the oncoming plates are a but unclear, although with you filming from the pavement you would be unlikely need to identify them. I also think if you ever did need to, it would be fairly straightforward to do so.

I don’t have the road/off road setting either ‘gc’ The CE is a much changed
product it seems.

I have decided to keep the Fly12CE. It is a valid point made by Cycliq that the camera is designed to read details close to the cyclist. I was judging it again an ‘action camera’ that has different design criteria.

Your welcome. :okay:

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Ive owned a fly 12 and Fly 12 CE - IMO the CE is a duff product - the brackets are feeble for a £200 camera - and the output always has that 'just about to thunder' look. I would send it back and try and pick up an original Fly 12

Cycliq make me despair, as with a bit of fine tuning they would be the go to camera's for cyclists - instead they are very buggy , fiddly things - I keep hoping they will release a new camera with all the rough edges taken out - but I couldn't fork out £200+ for it as it stands.

gaijintendo

Veteran
Ive owned a fly 12 and Fly 12 CE - IMO the CE is a duff product - the brackets are feeble for a £200 camera - and the output always has that 'just about to thunder' look. I would send it back and try and pick up an original Fly 12

Cycliq make me despair, as with a bit of fine tuning they would be the go to camera's for cyclists - instead they are very buggy , fiddly things - I keep hoping they will release a new camera with all the rough edges taken out - but I couldn't fork out £200+ for it as it stands.
Even with the original fly12, getting the app to work seemed to be oftentimes too much to ask.

I think the video footage is good enough, but I've never invested in a GoPro, so I've no idea what the playing field is like.

All it takes is another manufacturer to give the concept a bash and things go wonky for them...

Scaleyback

Veteran
Even with the original fly12, getting the app to work seemed to be oftentimes too much to ask.

I think the video footage is good enough, but I've never invested in a GoPro, so I've no idea what the playing field is like

I have a Fly12CE. I think you are comparing chalk & cheese. The GoPro is an action camera and is designed to capture the best footage over a wide focal distance. The Fly12 is designed to capture ‘adequate details’ ( number plates etc) from vehicles close to the rider. This ‘downgrading’ of resolution is what allows the Fly12 to give 6+? hours of battery runtime as opposed to the GoPro’s
1.5 hrs ? The Gopro needs a much more powerful processor to process the high resolution footage, this impacts negatively on the battery runtime.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I have a Fly12CE. I think you are comparing chalk & cheese. The GoPro is an action camera and is designed to capture the best footage over a wide focal distance. The Fly12 is designed to capture ‘adequate details’ ( number plates etc) from vehicles close to the rider. This ‘downgrading’ of resolution is what allows the Fly12 to give 6+? hours of battery runtime as opposed to the GoPro’s
1.5 hrs ? The Gopro needs a much more powerful processor to process the high resolution footage, this impacts negatively on the battery runtime.
Like I say, I both can't compare and think the fly12 good enough, so happy to agree and defer to you.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Original Fly 12 - suddenly developed a problem - whilst cycling I get the red flashing light meaning (I think) that my device is out of charge - fully charged it this morning same thing happened - checked the battery status in the app - showing 100% - master reset still the same ?

Its a few years old - so is due replacement - but the FLY12CE is no where near as good - flimsy bracket being the biggest reason not to buy ?

any ideas @glasgowcyclist ?

Top Bottom