Cyclist wins case against Taxi driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bladesman73

Über Member
Agreeing that someone was talking bollocks is NOT the same as saying you would beat someone senseless.
his post was both abusive and childish, a bit like someone acting tough, so you agreeing was just as bad pal

bladesman73

Über Member
I don't have a problem with anything the cyclist in the OP did. He got a good result. People should stand up to bullies if they feel capable of doing so, and that includes on here.
yeah, and what if the driver was a kenneth noye type character, oh well im sure ur family would be proud u put ur pride before ur safety!

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
I don't have a problem with anything the cyclist in the OP did. He got a good result. People should stand up to bullies if they feel capable of doing so, and that includes on here.
Standing up to bullies on the internet is one thing, standing up to a bully on the streets is quite another. It is fine to say "if you are capable of doing so" but you have to take into consideration the so called bully could have a weapon or be enraged to a point were he could maim or kill without realising what he has done until it is too late, I'm sorry but as far as I am concerned discretion is the better part of valour. I for one would consider my loved ones and my own well being before instigating a fight with an uknown opponent. Too many idiots and psychos out there these days.

bladesman73

Über Member
this is my final post on this topic as some of you clearly do not understand the need for caution whilst out on your bikes. Ok go and pursue the moron who passes you closely but one day you will rile the wrong idiot.yes tell the driver they were close, out of order etc, but do it once, dont have another go and certainly dont do what the plonkee on the video did and use expletives. its grow up time chaps, and we all need to embrace it at some point in our lives..bye now. stay safe

classic33

Leg End Member
i didnt realise there were so many people out there who think its right to tempt fate and go looking for trouble! i guess you are all 6ft plus martial arts experts! my bad sorry...happy fighting!
Maybe you'd be willing to say what route I should take, if as has happened, a driver pushes out from the petrol station on the left. Marked in red, just above the "n". I'm headed for the crossroads to the right of the picture.
A58.jpg

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
That's what 'if you are capable of doing so' means, in case you didn't realise. The case our public servant bladesman is making is that none of us should even try.
Oh, I realise...........................common sense should prevail.

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
When possible, hold our position in the traffic. We are not slowing traffic up/down, getting in the way of traffic. We are traffic.
Agreed, but that is not the bone of contention in this thread, it is whether or not we should stand up to a potential loony driving a car / taxi / bus or other form of vehicular transportation.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
MOD NOTE:

Some posts have been Edited, some posts have been Deleted.

State your viewpoint/case, allow other members to respond but do not continue with the aggro, the name-calling and the petty insults.

bladesman73

Über Member
That's what 'if you are capable of doing so' means, in case you didn't realise. The case our public servant bladesman is making is that none of us should even try.
im reneging on my last post as you do not seem to be able to decipher my posts nor understand my argument. i said by all means confront them if you feel the need to be john rambo, but do it in one interaction, dont call the driver a nob, and certainly dont pursue it. hope that clears it up for you

Watching that video coldly, from a desk, I would agree with everyone who says he should have let it go. But having been in the real life situation more times than I would wish, I know that's it's completely different on the road, with the memory of what you worried might have been your last moments fresh in your mind, and adrenal coursing through your veins, that it's hard to behave like homo economicus, doing exactly the right thing for your long term survival. But even from my desk, he didn't over do it, just one zinging "knob" as the cab went by. Yeah, not ideal, but nothing to suggest he was deserving of being waylaid down the road.

The cyclist was not pursuing the cab down that road. He would not have caught up with him. The cab driver lay in wait. It is sinister and deeply disturbing. The cab driver never felt his life imperilled, so hasn't the same excuse as the poor cyclist.

Edit: mods, do as you will with this.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
cyclist deserves zero kudos, he went after the cab multiple times even after telling the driver he was a tw@t during te first altercation. he brought the attack on himself, what did he expect to happen by pursuing the driver? did he think the driver would get out of the cab say sorry and polish his frame for him? there are some plonkers out there who give the rest of us cyclists a bad name by aggravating a situation just because they have a camera on them
Very well, here's a constructive rebuttal, since that's what you requested:
1. the cyclist did not bring the attack on himself, because there's no good reason for hitting someone just because they got angry at being put in danger.
2. cyclists don't give other cyclists a bad name, because cyclists aren't a group in which some are responsible for others; they're simply all private citizens who happen to use the same mode of transport.
3. I use video cameras daily on my commute, but it doesn't automatically turn me into a "plonker". I use them because in the event of an incident I need some evidence to back up my version of events (particularly in a country as biased against cyclists as Australia is). So for you to assume someone's a plonker just because they're using a camera shows prejudice on your part.
4. if the cyclist didn't pursue the driver to have words with him, the driver would have just carried on with his trip completely convinced he did nothing wrong, no court case would have ensued, and the driver would not now be regretting being so violent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom