Cyclist wins case against Taxi driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bladesman73

Über Member
Very well, here's a constructive rebuttal, since that's what you requested:
1. the cyclist did not bring the attack on himself, because there's no good reason for hitting someone just because they got angry at being put in danger.
2. cyclists don't give other cyclists a bad name, because cyclists aren't a group in which some are responsible for others; they're simply all private citizens who happen to use the same mode of transport.
3. I use video cameras daily on my commute, but it doesn't automatically turn me into a "plonker". I use them because in the event of an incident I need some evidence to back up my version of events (particularly in a country as biased against cyclists as Australia is). So for you to assume someone's a plonker just because they're using a camera shows prejudice on your part.
4. if the cyclist didn't pursue the driver to have words with him, the driver would have just carried on with his trip completely convinced he did nothing wrong, no court case would have ensued, and the driver would not now be regretting being so violent.
and so we have another one whose assumptions are incorrect. pls point out where in any of my posts i have called all those wearing cams plonkers! i said this guy was a cam wearing plonker. the cyclist had already told the driver what he thought then decides to call him a nob later on. for your info most of the general public pigeonhole cyclists as one group hence they actions of said cam wearing plonker gives calm and considered cyclists like myself a bad name.

classic33

Leg End Member
Agreed, but that is not the bone of contention in this thread, it is whether or not we should stand up to a potential loony driving a car / taxi / bus or other form of vehicular transportation.
You'll know that piece of road. At over the speed limit, double white lines as you approach the bottom. Passed by a white car, now on the wrong side of the road, and because I refused to move back in he'd to slow down and let other traffic past. I'd an articulated lorry behind me, a bus in front, where was I to go?

Met him on the road down to Brighouse, he'd waited. Went to ride past and he prevented that. It was off with the rucksack, motorbike chain used at work and "left" on his car whilst I got the phone. If he wasn't prepared to let me past, the police would have been called. Leaving the rucksack on the car was enough for him, he didn't expect it and I had his vehicle number. Reported whilst at work.

Edited to add link

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
and so we have another one whose assumptions are incorrect. pls point out where in any of my posts i have called all those wearing cams plonkers! i said this guy was a cam wearing plonker. the cyclist had already told the driver what he thought then decides to call him a nob later on. for your info most of the general public pigeonhole cyclists as one group hence they actions of said cam wearing plonker gives calm and considered cyclists like myself a bad name.
Do you use a camera, and have you ever had call to hand any footage obtained on it over to the police?

I must have watched a different video to you. He seems to only be following him because they are going in the same direction - after the second exchange of words, that the driver seems to have instigated. OK, after that he gets one more "knob" in. After the cab passes him, he can't have had expectation plan to catch up with him again. If the cab hadn't stopped and the driver got out, they would have never seen each other again.
@bladesman73 seeing you are still here, please explain your interpretation of the video. I'm not seeing what you are seeing.

bladesman73

Über Member
Do you use a camera, and have you ever had call to hand any footage obtained on it over to the police?
no i dont, however i have considered it and they serve their purpose...however.. i think some use them as it they are an extra layer of armour, as if having one allows them to pursue situations that they would tend to let go without one. i just think the lad on the bike had his say but then decides to then go next to the cab and call the driver a nob, and this second action makes the cyclist a plonker. the driver was also a plonker for doing what he did. i am dumbfounded that anyone can disagree with that viewpoint..

OP
OP
S

steve50

Disenchanted Member
What is it with this forum, you post an article worthy of discussion and the discussion ends up being a slanging match and name calling fest, i have been a member on a few car forums and never come across the like before. are cyclists that competitive they have to compete against each other in a discussion?

classic33

Leg End Member
no i dont, however i have considered it and they serve their purpose...however.. i think some use them as it they are an extra layer of armour, as if having one allows them to pursue situations that they would tend to let go without one. i just think the lad on the bike had his say but then decides to then go next to the cab and call the driver a nob, and this second action makes the cyclist a plonker. the driver was also a plonker for doing what he did. i am dumbfounded that anyone can disagree with that viewpoint..
So you've only seen one side of "the argument" as it were?

How many drivers have similar cameras fitted to their vehicles, for that "second layer of armour". Usually in the guise of cheaper insurance? Doesn't stop them driving like idiots though. Three seen this morning, cameras fitted, with the driver on the wrong side of the road. One eating, whilst on his mobile.

thanks for that, do you have anything constructive to say or are you one of those people who go looking for trouble? driver passed close, cyclist gave him a rollocking, he needed to grow up and leave it, .....

MOD Edited

When you were a kid, did you always surrender to bullies? How did that go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom