Do you shave your legs? If so, why?

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Why would people who aren't professional cyclists shave their legs? I don't see a benefit.

It's what road cyclists do. I didn't have any particular reason to shave my legs, just that after hanging about with cyclists for a while you start behaving like them. All the black cycling socks end up in the bin, the legs get shaved, I even wore a h****** from time to time.

I've just been riding to work recently, and my legs are hairy again, and I've taken to black socks again (less laundry hassle).

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
... "it shaves 5 seconds off of a 40km TT"...

It does if you shave the front of your legs and grow the hair on the back, apply hair gel and comb into a ridge.

Well aero.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I don't, I ride a cross bike and would be shunned if I tried to look pro,
My limited experience of shaved legs and mud is that they make it much much easier to clean up afterwards : just wait for it to dry and then brush off with your hand.

I used to shave mine (although for speedskating not for cycling, but the same usual justifications are advanced) but stopped when it became really obvious that hairy-legged people were still faster than me so I was basically just posing

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Vanity
The funny bit was at the end when the auther of the article describes how his visiting sister walked into the bathroom whilst he was butt naked trying to shave his legs " gimme road rash anyday " was the parting shot ^_^

LOCK THE DOOR more like!:rolleyes:

She doesnt!
hairy-legs.jpg

There is something mildly disturbing about that. I can't imagine what though.

I can't see why people who are not professional cyclists can not shave their legs, im personally quite partial to it, specially on the ladies who I also support with regards to the removal of under arm hair.. if the german shot putter look is your thing thats fine:laugh:

That's one thing.
Shaving.... erm, down below is quite another - there is hair there for a reason, i.e. to stop sweat and your bits sticking to themselves! It's also well itchy when it grows back in again....

Just saying, like.... :laugh:

Globalti

Legendary Member
This old chestnut comes up regularly on cycling fora. For the full explanation go and buy a little book called The Escape Artist by Matt Seaton, the cycling journalist. You can read it in a couple of hours, it's excellent and it has a shocking twist at the end. Seaton explains all kinds of roadie lore and conventions including leg shaving.

It's to do with all those things; hygiene, dressings and mostly massage. It's also an aesthetic thing, part of the whole cult of cleanliness, perfection and style. Seaton says that any roadie who turned up with hairy legs would get laughed out of the peloton and that it's a kind of rite of passage for the road cyclist who is going from beginner to serious. He also suggests that an experienced cyclist can weigh up the likely strengths and weaknesses of an opponent by studying their build, muscle definition and size and so on and shaved legs make it easier to see the muscles.

Get the book, it's very good. It's Seaton's true story. But beware, don't read the reviews here as they contain a big spoiler: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Escape-...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1340515569&sr=1-1

Nihal

Veteran
Look all this is fine,But i don't understand how women can pour HOT wax over their legs to shave but still be scared of tiny insects and rats and whatnot???:rofl: :biggrin:^_^:smile::blush: I would never pour HOT wax over my legs mind you,the thought of it gets me shivering in fright:ph34r:

And yes i know some idiot "researched" shaving technology,some stupid creams or whatever now and its supposed(oh what fun can it be to stick a tape on your legs and rip off all the hair on it,ouch) to simpler proceses:wacko:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Right right,of course "epilation"="Hair removal" whats the diiference,apart from the "epilate" sounding more mystical from Hair removal:rofl:

Epilation is pulling the hairs out (like waxing), shaving is just cutting them off flush. Hair takes a little longer to reappear after being pulled out.

I've never waxed, but it's not the HOT wax I'm bothered about, it's the pulling hairs out.

funny really - this issue is usually only ever raised by people that don't shave and probably never will, and will never need to in any case. Get along to a road race HQ, stand in the middle of the changing room and listen out for how many riders actually discuss this stuff. I'll tell you anyway - nobody does.

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Mainly I shave mine because women who don't get stared at and are subject to all kinds of comments, to your face and behind your back, which I just don't have the headspace to deal with. Though I confess I do like the smooth, silky feeling you get when you get into bed with freshly shaved (shaven?) legs - especially if the sheets are clean. *shivers* :shy:

Top Bottom