Driver gets 18 months for hit and run on Simon Richardson

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Robeh

18 month sentence what a joke sums up the judicial system in this country:banghead:

I agree but is it really in the public interest to jail him for any longer - the five year driving ban (presumably with the obligation to take a driving test at the end of it) goes some way to address the balance - but it should have been a life ban or at the very minimum 10 years

Robeh

I agree but is it really in the public interest to jail him for any longer - the five year driving ban (presumably with the obligation to take a driving test at the end of it) goes some way to address the balance - but it should have been a life ban or at the very minimum 10 years
probably not in the public interest to jail him for longer,but for me it should have been min 5 year sentence and a driving ban for life.
The law on drink driving needs to be looked at.
Simon Richardson is lucky to be alive TBH

Robeh

Shocking. But I do think these sentences are slowly creeping up.
Maybe but not high enough IMO...

Trickedem

Guru
15 months for the dangerous driving, but just 3 months extra for leaving the scene of the crime. Hardly an incentive for anyone to stop is it. The extra 3 months for driving with excess alcohol will run concurrently.
We can only hope that with Paralympians being in the news, this derisory sentence will be more widely criticised than just by us cyclists complaining to each other on a forum.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
While we all induldge ourself in moaning, here's what Richardson himself had to say:
"As for the court's verdict, I am happy in a way with the sentence.
"I would have been happy whatever sentence he got, even if he walked free.
"At the end of the day, it was just an accident and he did not deliberately set out to knock me down.
"But it is important that a precedent has been set – that not only should a person be charged with excess alcohol but it also qualifies as dangerous driving.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/aug/30/drunk-driver-sentence-paralympian-cyclist

How about following his lead and accepting the sentence?

sabian92

Über Member

Yes, as it stands because what if he runs somebody else over pissed?

Surely that is in the public interest of not dying?

Top Bottom