E-Sports cheating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm still struggling to understand exactly what went on here. Did he actually "win" a specific race on zwift or a series of races? And if he did, surely all the competitors should have been on "equal" equipment. Why would one rider have a better (tron) bike than others?

CXRAndy

Guru
If it was a race series why wasn't the equipment the same for each rider. The series of professional races early this year, they all had the same turbo, bike and were weighed immediately before the event.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Everyone is missing the point because it is so damn petty. The UCI says he didn’t earn the Tron bike fairly. He manipulated the software a long time away to unlock the bike quicker. It wasn’t even a rule back then. As a pro he could have unlocked it naturally but obviously couldn’t wait to do so. The dinosaurs at the UCI have stripped him just because of this.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
So the real world analogy is not as if he took EPO. It's more as if he snuck out with an angle grinder the night before the race and nicked a Pinarello Dogma, rather than riding on his own Carrera.

Yeah pretty much spot on.
If they just used basic in game bikes it would have been fine. Must be frustrating.

whatphrase_32774_229383.gif

BurningLegs

Veteran
I don’t subscribe to the view that esports competitors should use the same digital equipment (I.e bike and wheels). Physical equipment, absolutely. They should all be using the same turbos and computers (provided by the race organiser) but to extend that to digital equipment is unnecessary in my opinion. Do the people expressing a view that they should all have been using the same bike also think that all riders on the World Tour should be using the same bike?!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I don’t subscribe to the view that esports competitors should use the same digital equipment (I.e bike and wheels). Physical equipment, absolutely. They should all be using the same turbos and computers (provided by the race organiser) but to extend that to digital equipment is unnecessary in my opinion. Do the people expressing a view that they should all have been using the same bike also think that all riders on the World Tour should be using the same bike?!

There is certainly an argument for that, bit like Indy 500. It then becomes about the rider and not the bike. UCI already went down that line when they had a strop about a rider in 1934 smashing the others into the ground on a recumbent, and so banned recumbents. Then after Chris Boardman's hour record , in came the 700c wheel rule even though they are less aero than smaller wheels. I wonder if you can setup a racing recumbent bike profile in Zwift? Same speed for 100W less power, he he.

huwsparky

Über Member
They all used the Tron bike apparently in the race, and no doubt Cam had probably completed the required task for the bike by the time he raced anyway, this was months ago. I think he's hard done by and been hung out to dry. Think he made the best numbers in the final too from what i read.

Also, how can they prove anyone has unlocked equipment themselves? They have no way of knowing who's actually riding the milage that's being logged on someone's account.

Top Bottom