E-Sports cheating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Zwift is full of people cheating, so never take it too seriously.
I completely agree for amateur/hobbyists, but this was a regulated event, run under the rules and regulations of British Cycling with controlled equipment.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Why aren't they all on the same turbo and the same virtual bike, then its pretty even.
They were all on the same turbo - all provided by the race organisers.

But why should they be on the same virtual bike? I’ve never heard anyone say that WorldTour riders should all be on the same bike??

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They were all on the same turbo - all provided by the race organisers.

But why should they be on the same virtual bike? I’ve never heard anyone say that WorldTour riders should all be on the same bike??

There is next to no difference on a real high end bike vs another, but there are programmed in differences on the virtual ones, especially if someone has cheated.

Bonkers.

dodgy

Also, in the real world, the very fastest bikes carry with them certain disadvantages such as comfort. All that is gone in virtual racing, so the fastest bike is the fastest bike with no disadvantage.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Who gives a toss, it's not cycling.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
There is next to no difference on a real high end bike vs another, but there are programmed in differences on the virtual ones, especially if someone has cheated.

Bonkers.

I think it calls into question what is really fair in E-sports, there are lots of online training platforms that offer similar functionality to Zwift, some will create vast graphical virtual worlds whilst others leave it to your imagination but the implication here is to be able to compete in a British Cycling sanctioned event, you will have needed to have been a long term paying Zwift customer with a profile and then in order to be competitive they will have needed to have turned their pedals for a long time in order to gain advantages such as a better "virtual" bike which you can use to compete. Is this really right? Some feel like you need to earn that virtual bike, but why? What if you prefer an alternative training platform and then find you are disadvantaged by an inferior virtual bike because you haven't put in the hours on Zwift specifically?

It must be for the UCI and national cycling organisations to establish stronger checks and balances for e-sports before this can even begin to be taken seriously, it should not be that the hosting platform can be the gatekeeper and at the same time giving advantages to it's customers, the 'tron bike' issue is effectively massaging the data to give their long term paying customers an advantage against athletes that do not use Zwift to train..

huwsparky

Über Member
I think it calls into question what is really fair in E-sports, there are lots of online training platforms that offer similar functionality to Zwift, some will create vast graphical virtual worlds whilst others leave it to your imagination but the implication here is to be able to compete in a British Cycling sanctioned event, you will have needed to have been a long term paying Zwift customer with a profile and then in order to be competitive they will have needed to have turned their pedals for a long time in order to gain advantages such as a better "virtual" bike which you can use to compete. Is this really right? Some feel like you need to earn that virtual bike, but why? What if you prefer an alternative training platform and then find you are disadvantaged by an inferior virtual bike because you haven't put in the hours on Zwift specifically?

It must be for the UCI and national cycling organisations to establish stronger checks and balances for e-sports before this can even begin to be taken seriously, it should not be that the hosting platform can be the gatekeeper and at the same time giving advantages to it's customers, the 'tron bike' issue is effectively massaging the data to give their long term paying customers an advantage against athletes that do not use Zwift to train..

I agree The bike or when to use power ups shouldn't matter. It should be Man Vs man, end of. Otherwise what's the point?

The Tron bike isn't even the fastest bike apparently, but at least they were all using the Tron bike (possible by chance) which would have given no one a benefit over another in theory.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
If there's a future in cycling as an E-sport then it can't be in the hands of Zwift,
If not then in whose hands? Should the sport (UCI and/or other constituent bodies) build their own virtual infrastructure. That would likely be really expensive and probably not as good as Zwift. So Zwift riders would be navigating photo-realistic landscapes Resident Evil* stylee while the elite competitors would be on Pac-Man.

Genuine question btw. I don't have an answer to it.

(* Old man makes desperate attempt to appear trendy by name checking video games while not actually having a clue)

Top Bottom