E-Sports cheating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
You liked a post from me further up where I said "This is why this particular case is important, it's possible to 'unlock' kit, but you don't pay for it - you earn it. "

eSports has the potential to level the playing field for aspiring athletes, he took the easy way by getting someone else to unlock the bike for him.

Unless you prefer the model where only sponsored riders get the good stuff.
He was riding a bike that didn’t really exist that he didn’t own, on roads that weren’t even real. It just makes E-Sports so pathetic & sad.
He’s been thrown under a high speed train. It shouldn’t matter.

dodgy

I don't care that much either way, just trying to see why the decision to punish him was right. I think it was.

I actually hope esports dies a death. /shrug

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I don't care that much either way, just trying to see why the decision to punish him was right. I think it was.

I actually hope esports dies a death. /shrug
I feel the same really. It was very arrogant & nerdy to do such a thing. If you’re going to be famous either as pro cyclist, Vlogger or what ever, you have to watch yourself.

Reactions: C R

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I feel sorry for Cam. It wasn't even a rule when he unlocked the concept z1 & others raced on it too. The uci shouldn't be involved. It's such bad press for British cycling.
Why not? The UCI will work for any paymaster. Witness the races named after EPOgen's maker. Expecting UCI to turn down Zwift is like expecting a moth to ignore a flame.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You liked a post from me further up where I said "This is why this particular case is important, it's possible to 'unlock' kit, but you don't pay for it - you earn it. "

eSports has the potential to level the playing field for aspiring athletes, he took the easy way by getting someone else to unlock the bike for him.

Unless you prefer the model where only sponsored riders get the good stuff.
If the rider is good enough, they'd be able to get sponsored, unless sponsorship decisions are completely corrupt.

classic33

Leg End Member
There is certainly an argument for that, bit like Indy 500. It then becomes about the rider and not the bike. UCI already went down that line when they had a strop about a rider in 1934 smashing the others into the ground on a recumbent, and so banned recumbents. Then after Chris Boardman's hour record , in came the 700c wheel rule even though they are less aero than smaller wheels. I wonder if you can setup a racing recumbent bike profile in Zwift? Same speed for 100W less power, he he.
https://forums.zwift.com/t/recumbent-bike-options/4976

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The UCI and BC are utter muppets here. The only reason this came about is because they did not have rules in place to protect their walled garden with Zwift. By taking this decision they have forced a ‘pay to play’ attitude, where you need to be a long term Zwift customer to be able to enter the indoor championship. Any cyclist who would want to compete would have to pay quite a bit of money and take a quite a bit of time before they could be competitive, despite potentially being a brilliant cyclist either on other platforms or in real life.

To be clear, the guy did not dope, did not cheat in the competition and did not break any rule in place when he started.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
The guy who was given his title won’t give a hoot really as he will always know it’s wrong & doesn’t deserve it.
Cam should boycott Zwift & concentrate on real cycling.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Poor naive Cam was groomed by MAMILS. His so called mates from cycling hub are more than likely the ones who came up with the whole idea. Now they’ve washed their hands of him. It was just like when Trek knew Lance Armstrong wanted to win no matter what so they made loads of money off him regardless. The Trek Madone used by Lance is still taking the money in for them over 20 years on.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I heard about the possible link with Cycling Hub today on a podcast. Do you know the source of that?

As for who is to blame, I still think it’s the athlete, ultimately. Lance shouldn’t have cheated and Cam shouldn’t have cheated.

Top Bottom