Ebike Conversion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yep cold weather can cut the range in half, the problem is the voltage drops so the safety device cuts in. Starting a ride with a warm battery helps and I'd take it to full charge before leaving home.
A combination of high winds and extreme cold is the another big reason I'm concerned about being reliant on a battery, but hey, you wouldn't get cold huffing a flat e-bike around providing you can keep it rolling. :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Are you planning year round riding?

Im hoping to have some dry days through winter. I know weather has a big impact upon batteries, we have EVs, one doesn't have a sophisticated battery management, so suffers from reduced range in winter.

That's another reason why I went for a higher voltage and current to offset cold weather range loss

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Re the cost of conversion there are incidentals possibly needed aside from the motor and battery. In particular does the rear derailleur cable need rerouting to clear the motor - the solution I used was to bolt in place using rivnuts new cable guides - I used Radley single guides obtained from Chain Reaction and a rivnut tool supplied with sufficient rivnuts from an ebay seller, plus extra cable outer, ferrules etc (the LifeLine Essential Gear Cable Set from Chain Reaction sufficed).

With a TSDZ2 their is the option for a front derailleur as well, I used 38 and 48 chainwheels from Spa Cycles and a new metal chain guard sourced from a Taiwanese bike shop on ebay. The offset of the chainwheels could be an issue for the derailleur but I found with a 28.6mm seat tube I could use a Origin 8 Derailleur Direct Mount Adaptor (from SJS cycles) with a Shimano 34.9mm to 28.6mm front mech adaptor cut to fit double thickness on the far side of the seat tube to correctly position a Shimano SLX M676 front derailleur. Ideally the cable would have been routed along the top tube and down the seat post but I was wary of weakening the top tube as it gets quite thin towards the seat post on the hybrid I was converting (a Ridgeback Motion) so instead routed in down the down tube and used a old type clip over the downtube cable guide, sourced off ebay, cut down for the part of it that was needed, bolted in place with a rivnut and the far end cable tied down in order to turn the cable up the seat tube to the derailleur.

I also fitted Light And Motion Nip-n-tuck ebike lights as the bike typically will be doing short runs with plenty of opportunities to charge up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
That's why I chose the Shimano IGH to keep the chain line simple. Ive seen quite a few derailleur setups. Most like I do run the cables above the bottom bracket.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
My wife and I had a loop around Rutland water this weekend just gone.

I had swapped her tyres this winter to
G Ones 40 mm in the hope she might want to do a little trail riding.

She has never completed more than 6 miles of the loop before We completed the whole loop 23 miles and on the significant hills she absolutely thrashed me in climbing speed and ease of climb.

The bike behaved perfectly, easily wafted her up 10% gradients on full power with a nexus 8 hub gear and 42t chainring.

I charged the battery to 85% and she had around 40% left.

We thoroughly enjoyed the day albeit a little tired and dusty. We picnic'd half way round on the peninsula.

She was carrying tools, blanket, food, drinks and a folding chair- after all, she does have a motor;)

Anyone thinking minor off roading was beyond them, build an ebike. :okay:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Anyone thinking minor off roading was beyond them, build an ebike

Always nice to hear when people have a good day out on their bikes.

However, it is worth pointing out an ebike is more of a challenge than a push bike for those of us who lack confidence on anything rougher than cinder track.

It can only be the weight that makes them harder to balance.

Ebikes are also more difficult to manhandle - or woman handle - through any obstacles than cannot be cycled, such as restrictions on cycle paths.

Another concern is train assisted touring.

Humping an ebike on to a train or over a few steps at a station is nearly a two man job.

Ebikes are also not suitable for the front wheel bike hooks - the type where the bike is stowed vertically - which seem to me to be increasingly popular on long distance services.

We once humped my Rose ebike on to one of those hooks.

The headset was never the same, although I suppose I could have replaced it for a few pounds.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ebikes are also more difficult to manhandle - or woman handle - through any obstacles than cannot be cycled, such as restrictions on cycle paths
You can say that again - I well remember helping you get your ebike over this footbridge on one of my Cheshire forum rides. Very hard work...

It is all very well for @I like Skol to bunnyhop onto it, ride across, and jump down the far side, but for mere mortals it is not so easy!

Another concern is train assisted touring.

Humping an ebike on to a train or over a few steps at a station is nearly a two man job.
I may be doing a bike conversion for a female friend and that is of concern, but I reckon I can keep the weight down to around 19 kg so the bike should be manageable. She won't want to do any offroad more serious than towpaths or gravel tracks.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You can say that again - I well remember helping you get your ebike over this footbridge on one of my Cheshire forum rides. Very hard work...

View attachment 539931

It is all very well for @I like Skol to bunnyhop onto it, ride across, and jump down the far side, but for mere mortals it is not so easy!

I may be doing a bike conversion for a female friend and that is of concern, but I reckon I can keep the weight down to around 19 kg so the bike should be manageable. She won't want to do any offroad more serious than towpaths or gravel tracks.

Part of the problem with my bike and the bridge was at the time it had the full width MTB handlebars it came with.

They've since been chopped, but it would still be a chew, particularly solo.

One of the many good things about forum rides is there's always plenty of bike savvy willing pairs of hands to help.

An example is the Brighton ride which usually ends at a chip shop on the pebbles, accessed by two flights of stairs.

@StuAff was the first of several riders to offer help, but they weren't needed because Adrian deployed his local knowledge to direct me to a cycleable ramp nearby.

As regards your ebike plans, I agree 19kg is a doable target.

That's a good few kgs lighter than my bike with its twin batteries, and ought to be much more manageable.

Are you sorted for component suppliers?

There's still some cheap and nasty stuff around, so you need to know what you are buying.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I'm just about to buy another TSD kit with open software from

Eco-Ebike

They have newer display (850C) with a lot more features and option to have power limiting temperature sensor pre installed

$500 dollars + battery= ^_^

I'm just about to buy another TSD kit with open software from

Eco-Ebike

They have newer display (850C) with a lot more features and option to have power limiting temperature sensor pre installed

$500 dollars + battery= ^_^

Hello Andy, My name is Alan. I'm new to CycelChat, and "E" powered trikes. I'm in the process of installing the first of 2 TSDZ2 "new" version of the systems, both with new 860C (not the 850C), throttle, speed sensor and cable pull-thru E brake cutoffs. The systems are programmed with the latest (I think) OSF version. I also got them from Eco-Ebike (Eco-Cycles) as well. I'm in the states in West Virginia (on the east coast), about 10 hours or so driving from Nashville, Tennessee (near the east coast), where they are located. Still too far to go there to pick it up. They are very customer service oriented. Hope to be finished with this first install this weekend. How do you like yours? Are you using the blue or metal drive gear? I'm starting out with the blue. My wife and I have a pair of Catrike Trail's, are very senior citizens (80 & 75) and love them. This seems like a great website.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As regards your ebike plans, I agree 19kg is a doable target.

That's a good few kgs lighter than my bike with its twin batteries, and ought to be much more manageable.

Are you sorted for component suppliers?

There's still some cheap and nasty stuff around, so you need to know what you are buying.
I signed up on Pedelecs and have been asking ebike questions over there.

I quite like the look of the Whoosh Aikema hub kit for my friend's bike. If I were doing a conversion for myself I would go for something like the Bafang BBS01B crank drive kit because I prefer a high cadence and am happy changing gear to suit. My friend always seems to choose too high a gear and then struggles. I think the extra oomph from the hub motor should get her up most of the hills she currently walks up.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Hello Andy, My name is Alan. I'm new to CycelChat, and "E" powered trikes. I'm in the process of installing the first of 2 TSDZ2 "new" version of the systems, both with new 860C (not the 850C), throttle, speed sensor and cable pull-thru E brake cutoffs. The systems are programmed with the latest (I think) OSF version. I also got them from Eco-Ebike (Eco-Cycles) as well. I'm in the states in West Virginia (on the east coast), about 10 hours or so driving from Nashville, Tennessee (near the east coast), where they are located. Still too far to go there to pick it up. They are very customer service oriented. Hope to be finished with this first install this weekend. How do you like yours? Are you using the blue or metal drive gear? I'm starting out with the blue. My wife and I have a pair of Catrike Trail's, are very senior citizens (80 & 75) and love them. This seems like a great website.

Hi Alan

My first kit was for my wife's shopper/mild gravel bike in the first post. I bought this motor kit from another USA supplier Electrifybike(from memory). I had to get my battery from a Chinese wholesaler due to HAZMAT regulations sending batteries from the USA.

I had never ridden an Ebike before, but was extremely pleased with the ease of install and performance from such a little motor. I set my wife's bike up with very modest assist power levels- more for range than outright speed. I did test it for more performance once and it would happily drag my weight over 20mph if I had left it with higher settings.

I presume you will set yours for around 20mph assist speed?

I left the blue gear in and gave instructions for my wife not to try and accelerate from slow or stop situations in a higher gear and power setting. So far the gear has been fine. The newer TSDZ2 have a main helical cut gear for less noise and on ours its very quiet indeed.

I ordered the brake cut offs too, but didn't fit them, because the 'open software' does such a good job of controlling the motor, they became redundant.

I hope you like the newer display, I've read a lot on the 'Endless Sphere' website about the development of the software and issues which came up and what the community did to overcome them.

Your location reminds me of time our family had a little tour of USA for my fiftieth. We had landed in Nashville after spending a few weeks on the west coast LA/SF and Las Vegas. We wanted to drive up the Blue Ridge mountains route to a place called Roanoke before going onto Washington. Unfortunately the organiser of our trip booked a different Roanoke, there are two, one in Virginia and another in West Virginia. By time we noticed that the route was more freeway than lovely winding road, it was too late to divert. Oh well another trip will be needed. Great times and beautiful part of the states where you live. I will return when all this Covid finishes.

Let me know how you get on regards

Andy

Top Bottom