Edinburgh Cycle Co-op 'Revolution Track'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
fleetey

fleetey

Veteran
OK....after a lot of dithering I went for the Genesis Day One Cross in the end - a good discount still from EBC with their sale......

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
in regard to the OP ask me on Thursday and I'll tell you, mine's being delivered on Wednesday. The new legs are on back order.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I'll let you know next week too... I ordered one yesterday whilst I was in getting a pair of baggies. :biggrin:

My Wife did know there was a good chance of this happening, I'm not *that* brave! :becool:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
First impressions: Fugly plastic frisbie thing on the perfectly nice truative crankset. WTF is that about/for. Held on with a plastic screw. Straight in the bin along with the multitude of hideous reflectors.

Enough clearance, to my untutored eye, on the rear triangle and mountings for a mudguard - good

Not enough clearance, to my untutored eye, on the front fork, despite fittings, for a mudguard - not so good. The fork has less clearance than the brakes. Will muse on that. Carbon audax fork anyone?

OMG the tyres are thinner than a thin thing (My other SS is an MTB) and my tourer runs 37mm

Nice paint finish, wheels true. Will take some pedals, bike gear, into work tomorrow and ride it home. Black Brooks (prob a Flyer) black leather bar tape, and a chaintug to follow, will get used to it on the commute and then flip the flop to fixie mode and get my muscle tone back in my legs.

Good cheap bike, possibly worthy of a hub gear conversion at some point in the future if the fork can be sorted to take guards.

Coco

GregCollins said:
First impressions: Fugly plastic frisbie thing on the perfectly nice truative crankset. WTF is that about/for. Held on with a plastic screw. Straight in the bin along with the multitude of hideous reflectors.

Enough clearance, to my untutored eye, on the rear triangle and mountings for a mudguard - good

Not enough clearance, to my untutored eye, on the front fork, despite fittings, for a mudguard - not so good. The fork has less clearance than the brakes. Will muse on that. Carbon audax fork anyone?

OMG the tyres are thinner than a thin thing (My other SS is an MTB) and my tourer runs 37mm

Nice paint finish, wheels true. Will take some pedals, bike gear, into work tomorrow and ride it home. Black Brooks (prob a Flyer) black leather bar tape, and a chaintug to follow, will get used to it on the commute and then flip the flop to fixie mode and get my muscle tone back in my legs.

Good cheap bike, possibly worthy of a hub gear conversion at some point in the future if the fork can be sorted to take guards.
Let me know how it rides please.

Here's what EBC said when I asked about guards:
It does not have clearance for full wrap round mudguards but will be fine with 3/4 mudguards such as the SKS race-blades or crud road racer guards.

Radius

SHREDDER
I'd also say...build your own. Get a decent old steel tubing frame and convert it to fixed. Hi-tensile steel is heavy as you like and not very nice to ride. It's also known as lead-piping. You could build a decent bike for £250-300...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Radius said:
I'd also say...build your own. Get a decent old steel tubing frame and convert it to fixed. Hi-tensile steel is heavy as you like and not very nice to ride. It's also known as lead-piping. You could build a decent bike for £250-300...

Sure, if that is what floats your boat. I'd rather be riding than fettling. ymmv. and surely you mean gas-pipe not lead-piping?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Coco said:
Let me know how it rides please.

Sure. Riding it home from work tonight once I slap some spd's on it. I worked out this morning it is roughly 25 years :biggrin: since I last rode a skinny tyred road bike 'in anger' so my impressions :biggrin: will probably reflect that.

I'm not convinced there is clearance for even Mr Crud's skinnies on there. Though they do seem vay, vay, clever and their customer service is brilliant if things go wrong. However the bottom of the steerer tube could be relieved, via the judicious use of a file, to provide a tadge more clearance at some point in the future, :smile: or a carbon or cro-mo audax fork fitted.

I will probably go with a full length Tortec on the back to keep my r's (and brooks) dry and get inventive, i.e. bodge something, up front short term.

Radius

SHREDDER
GregCollins said:
Sure, if that is what floats your boat. I'd rather be riding than fettling. ymmv. and surely you mean gas-pipe not lead-piping?

Yes gas piping, oops. And know what you mean but fixed gear building is a doddle so might be worth it in the long run to get more bike for your money? That's just how I've approached it...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Radius said:
Yes gas piping, oops. And know what you mean but fixed gear building is a doddle so might be worth it in the long run to get more bike for your money? That's just how I've approached it...

As a value add proposition you are bang on the money, I've done it with a couple of ss mtb's. But the route to fixie/ss perfection is, imo/ime fraught with incompatibilities and compromises and cul-de-sacs for the average joe.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
redjedi said:
Does the Revolution Track have mounting points for a rack Greg?

T'would appear so. Bosses on the seat stays with dome headed allen bolts in and a pair of tapped holes on each dropout. I guess for rack and guard.

Then again it has bosses and braze ons on the fork but no conventional mudguard is ever going to fit on there! Unless you swap to 650b wheels.

Will upload some cack handed pics, just taken post ride home, in due course. Be warned I'm a rubbish photographer....

Top Bottom