Edinburgh Cycle Co-op 'Revolution Track'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Rode it in to work today for the first time... 72" is a good general road gear. Not with my bluddy legs and lungs it isn't!:biggrin:

Oh well it can only make me fitter.:biggrin:

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
GregCollins said:
Rode it in to work today for the first time... 72" is a good general road gear. Not with my bluddy legs and lungs it isn't!:biggrin:

Oh well it can only make me fitter.:wacko:
Lol - I was thinking that it was too low a gear (assumed rather, thinking they'd have it set more for the masses who will buy it) and that I may have to change the rear cog soon. :smile:

It's not too bad though, when I'm going with a comfortable cadence I was knocking around the 21 - 23mph mark which is fine for me. Didn't seem too bad when starting off although I need to get more used to being out of the saddle at the start as soon as I'm clipped in... don't do that much on the geared bike. :biggrin:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
somewhat annoyed that one of the other cyclists at work dragged their pedal down the chainstay and scratched it to hell whilst getting their bike out of the shed. Nice.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Sh4rkyBloke said:
Rode mine in today and was very pleased with it. It is, as you say, almost silent and feels very nice in terms of handling. The brakes are fantastic, although I may remove the back one soonish once I'm more used to fixed.

Lovely little runner... shame about the paint job though!!! Luminous greeny/yellow... what were they thinking????

Be warned, if you are going to do fakenger style rear wheel lock ups in fixed mode you will want to change the ratio, front or rear. 48/16 divides perfectly into 3 meaning, iirc, every time you lock up with the pedals flat the same spot on the back tyre is going to be your contact patch and will get flattened off/become bald pronto.

Moi, I'm going to find larger cog, 18+, for the fixie side to avoid this (ok cos I'm a wimp and she's too highly geared, with my current legs, for two spots on my commute)

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
GregCollins said:
Be warned, if you are going to do fakenger style rear wheel lock ups in fixed mode you will want to change the ratio, front or rear. 48/16 divides perfectly into 3 meaning, iirc, every time you lock up with the pedals flat the same spot on the back tyre is going to be your contact patch and will get flattened off/become bald pronto.

Moi, I'm going to find larger cog, 18+, for the fixie side to avoid this (ok cos I'm a wimp and she's too highly geared, with my current legs, for two spots on my commute)
No skidding for me - don't want to waste good tyres!!!

Only seem to be using the front at the moment though, braking with legs (gently) assisted.

gpx001

Über Member
Hi, I purchased a 'revolution track' in the EBS Easter sale. It turned up last week and I managed to get out for a little ride yesterday evening. Got to say very impressed. It's my first single speed (since I was a kid :biggrin:)

Seems very light and fun to ride. Plus nice to just pedal and not to have to think about changing gear

I'll have to try it as a fixed soon

Cheers

Jason

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
GregCollins said:
less said about that experience the better.....:wacko:

you can't leave us hanging like that Greg, tell all

Don't drop it due to 1 bad experience. It is a different style of riding and will seem strange at first. After a while it will feel right and moving back to a geared bike will feel odd.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
When I took mine out for a test ride (different sized frame so just wanted to make sure it was okay) it was set up as Singlespeed and it felt odd not being able to change gear but still to be able to coast.

Decided to buy it and asked the shop to flip the flip-flop, so to speak. Went away with it fixed (swapped the clipless pedals from my regular bike which I had ridden into work on that morning) and rode home in usual traffic without an issue. Felt a bit odd not being able to change gear when the cadence got high, but other than that was a joy.

I've only ever ridden fixed at the velodrome but loved it out on the roads!

Hope your experience hasn't put you off, Greg.

Radius

SHREDDER
Some people are terrified by fixed the first time they try it...the first fixed I ever rode was brakeless, and I rode it in a very safe (ish) environment. I think that helped introduce me - albeit with a manner slightly akin to a 'baptism of fire' - to the principles of fixed gear riding and leg braking...I didn't have a choice. Stick with it. It's awesome. Oh, and learn to skid, it's clearly the most exciting part of riding fixed :smile: (but seriously, can be great fun, especially in the wet when it doesn't kill your tyres too much; but who am I to talk, my London fixed gear is brakeless...)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The edited lowlights/summary; any ride that involves stalling on hills twice, including one incidence of riding backwards downhill for a bit, before coming off, falling off when your right leg spontaneously unclips whilst riding uphill, falling off at traffic lights when you have a clipless moment, stalling in traffic cos you can't time your coming to a halt so as to have the pedals in the right place to start again, cannot be described as an unalloyed success.

Still, the last time I rode fixed was nearly 30 years ago. Once I get the new fixed 18t cog on I'll give it another go, in the mean time she stays singlespeed. 48/16 fixed is too rich for my taste buds.

Top Bottom