Evans cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
It’s no surprise really as they aim for the middle to upper end of the market and don’t stock an awful lot of budget range.

For example their cheapest tyre is £12.99
https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/vittoria/zaffiro-v-road-tyres-711496#colcode=71149603

Yet wiggle sell a superior tyre for cheaper
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-zaffiro-pro-folding-clincher-road-tyre

If they were to include a few cheaper ranges or discount more midrange kit then they would do better as the audience is wider. Every time I go into an Evans I come out empty handed as it’s all too expensive and I’m not particularly tight by any means.
I’m sure they’ll start to fill it with low end poor quality stuff ... have you seen what HoF sells compared to what it used to pre-Ashley!

Brandane

Legendary Member
I’m sure they’ll start to fill it with low end poor quality stuff ... have you seen what HoF sells compared to what it used to pre-Ashley!
Look forward to re-badged BSO's wearing the Pinnacle brand name. Same as he has done with Karrimor walking boots and Slazenger sports equipment, amongst others.

Last time I
Never shopped in HOF so can’t comment on that.
I popped into Sports Direct for some football socks a while back before they shut and was pleasantly surprised to see the pinnacle clothing brand was sold as the premium range and the muddyfox clothing sold as the budget range... There is hope that the in house brands will be maintained to a good standard but at a slightly more attractive price by creating economies of scale. If it means shifting it into Sports Direct stores I’ll be a bit disappointed unless they change the refund policy but I can see it going that way.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
It's the little things since he took over such as not sorting out the British Cycling discount code and (more annoyingly) the removal of the local shop's stock level on the web site. You used to be able to see if your local store had an item in stock and, if they did, just pop in and collect it. Now there's no option other than to go in on the off chance or to use home delivery/click & collect - both with a minimum £5 charge.

The internet is really making high street stores struggle. I went honour Evans last weekend with the intention of buying a Kask Mojito X helmet. It was £119 but I got one on the net for £75. I don't mind paying a premium for the high street store but a saving of £45 could not be ignored.

When I do buy from Evans it tends to be on the net with a store pick-up.

Tbf to Evans they have a really good range of bikes and clothing etc in the store but the shop is always deserted when I go there.

Good morning,

To me the Guardian article reads like one written by someone with an agenda more than a thoughtful piece of journalism.

A document sent out to Evans staff says management will also have to work more hours. They will move from 40-hour contracts to 45 hours,
I would be interested to know if in reality this is true (my bold) or if the changes to the contracts actually reflect the reality.

I often walk through the town centre at 5am and it is easy to be surprised by just how many shops are open/opening to receive stock. It would seem reasonable to expect that the shop staff would be managers whatever their job title actually calls them.

but all other store staff will be switched from fixed-hours contracts, which usually guarantee at least eight hours a week, to what it calls “casual worker agreements” – Frasers’ term for zero-hours contracts.
How many people would find a guaranteed 8 hours over zero really that different?

If these 8 hours are one day a week, say Saturday/mid week day (cover full time staff) and the reality is that they aren't being offered, then the 8 hour guarantee is actually pretty meaningless as it would be replaced with redundancy within a few weeks anyway.

Many, many businesses have used contracts that are effectively zero hours since at least when I left school, but in the past employment law was more relaxed so that they were never written or perceived that way.

In this context Mike Ashley is getting a bad press because he is being completely honest and open, it may be unwise as it highlights practices that many won't approve of, but are hardly unique to his operations.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

contadino

Veteran
I don't shop at any of Mike Ashley's shops. It may be hard on his staff, but by using his shops you're enabling his shoddy practices.

Fortunately I'm not really a 'shopping' type of person so it's quite an easy boycott to live with.

Daninplymouth

Our store in Plymouth moved into a new building but the stock levels are pretty poor, also the move got rid of the free parking spaces they used to provide. I got a voucher for Christmas and have been in at least 4times to spend it and have left empty handed. First couple of visits I just wanted some wet chain lube all they had was dry stuff which is no good at this time of year I asked about more stock and apperently they had 1 bottle of wet lube delivered the week before 🤦🏼‍♂️
Giving up on that I thought I’d get myself 2 new bottle cages to go on my new bike and again they had a fair few on the shelf but not 2 of the same style or colour 🤦🏼‍♂️
I have bought a couple of bikes from them over the years but they seem to be losing their way here

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The only reason Ashley is involved is that it had already failed spectacularly before he got there.
This I would agree with. My local store is Preston. I've been in a few times, the only time I recall spending was for a click and collect Garmin. In 2011 I bought a Lezyne light for £75 from a London store. It's as good today as 10 years ago but that's Lezyne for you.

The Preston store was never busy, the staff showed little interest and the place was uninspiring. It was also located in the middle of nowhere. One Manchester store is/was on a trading estate near Manchester's Trafford Centre - who wants to battle the M60/M61/M62 to get to a bike shop? The other is/was on Deansgate. Why would I battle city centre traffic to visit a bike shop? Yellow lines outside so I couldn't even unload my bike for repair.

If this is/was typical of Evans their failure was no surprise to me.

As a life-long cyclist Evans never did anything to inspire me to become an excited customer. Very, very poor retailing and vision in my opinion.

Top Bottom