Evans cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Trading on the high street is very tough right now, even household names like John Lewis are cutting staff and shutting stores.
There’s probably nothing ‘not right’ at Evans but you need to remember that there are other businesses in the Ashley group who might not be doing so well.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The position he has put them in is that some of them still have a job. Without Ashley, they would all have been made redundant 2 years ago when the company went into administration.
This.

Almost uniquely this guy continues to be able to trade on the High Street.

He has curbed his earlier employment practice excesses in the face of public condemnation.

He may be the least worst option - not everyone can be a JLP (oh wait, they're closing lots of stores and don't seem to be able to trade in physical retail stores any more)

ETA
As if by magic, 7 mins ago: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56357412

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
No I started a fresh one as stated above as its new news, or was. The other thread I don't look at now as it's lost its oooomph.
You must have a very short attention span if a thread that was started 48 hours ago and had an update 12 hours before you posted has gone stale.

vickster

Legendary Member
what’s your opinion on the situation, given Ashley bought an already failed business (there were no other potential purchasers afaik)?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The position he has put them in is that some of them still have a job. Without Ashley, they would all have been made redundant 2 years ago when the company went into administration.

People like Ashley give business owners and capitalism in general, a bad name. He and people like him, just give ammunition to all the Leftist nutters who support anti-business politicians and policies. Far from "saving" anything Ashley and his ilk help create an environment which is hostile to anyone who turns a profit and becomes wealthy.
I'm a strong believer in capitalism, yet I don't like Ashley, and I don't patronise his operations with my cash. What Ashley does is buy up failing zombie businesses and then continues to operate them as zombies.
Greedy Green was no better. He ran his operations into the ground after helping himself to a nice big chunk of cash as a dividend, money that really needed to stay within the business. Starved of cash, it failed, but Green didn't care a fig because he had extracted a nice big wad and banked it. The creditors couldn't lay any claim on it so he's sitting on his superyacht and the people who made him rich are sitting on the dole.
No-one has a god-given right to a cushy job, or to expect to get wealthy working for someone else, but they do have a right to expect a fair reward for the money they help generate for a business owner. Ashley and Green both seemed to take pride in being as obnoxious and arrogant as possible, forgetting that without the foot soldiers doing their daily grind serving customers, neither of them would have attained the wealth they have.

People like Ashley give business owners and capitalism in general, a bad name. He and people like him, just give ammunition to all the Leftist nutters who support anti-business politicians and policies. Far from "saving" anything Ashley and his ilk help create an environment which is hostile to anyone who turns a profit and becomes wealthy.
I'm a strong believer in capitalism, yet I don't like Ashley, and I don't patronise his operations with my cash. What Ashley does is buy up failing zombie businesses and then continues to operate them as zombies.

Nothing I wrote should be interpreted as a suggestion that I like Ashley. The fact remains though, Evans Cycles was in administration. What do you think would have happened to it if Ashley had not bought the business?

Top Bottom