Fast food, becoming a ripoff ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You didn't eat it :okay:...I've had worse steaks, much worse, in restaurants. It was as good as a steak needs to be...for £5
The two worst steaks i have ever endured were in so called restaurants. One in nice, the other in pisa.

Reactions: gbb

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Two sausage egg McMuffins and 4 hash browns. Too slow on the pickup at the time, made the order, was told the price, i thought eh in my head for a split second, then paid. Not a regular so I just thought it had got fookin expensive.
defo A mistake there on the price

Reactions: gbb

stephec

Legendary Member
I expect a McDonald’s burger is of far higher quality meat than the ingredients comprising a cheap breakfast at Wetherspoons
I've never seen spoons food being produced, other than watching rump steaks being vacuum packed, but I have seen McDonald's burgers being made, the meat that went in the mincer looked very red with not a lot of fat on it.

And the hash browns and fries are made at a factory that also produces them with a big brand name on them.

I wonder how many of the ones who poo poo McDs have eaten what is basically the same chip or hash brown with another name on it?

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Wetherspoons food like the majority of pub food is produced in factories, not cooked in the pub. Its reheated in the microwave and brought out to you.
I've not been in Macdonald's since I was a teenager so I cant comment on their food personally, other than its noted to be very high in sugar, salt and fat etc.
Fast food is generally known to be expensive as is eating out compared to cooking something yourself at home from the supermarket. Thats nothing new its always been like that.

byegad

Legendary Member
I remember when you could get fish and chips for 90p...
90p! I remember when they were 9d, 10d for extra chips and scraps were free.

I remember taking my two boys with my wife to a local hotel for lunch. We had a substantial lunch, didn't stint on drinks of cola or coffees.
As we walked out, my eldest, who is always price conscious asked how much I'd paid. When I told him he said 'that was cheap, much less than mam paid last weekend at McD's and this was much nicer'. That was the best part of 30 years ago.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
.because we were overcharged.

McDonalds pricing is rather opaque, not least because it varies from outlet to outlet.

The 'mistake' you may have made is ordering piecemeal, rather than what McDonalds calls a meal.

What you had - a breakfast burger, a hash brown, and a drink - times two - is the equivalent of two breakfast meals.

They are usually around £4.30 each - the same items ordered individually would be more.

At the very least, what you had would have been best part of nine quid, so there's not a great deal in it.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
The worst for being a rip off is a delivered Pizza. You can pay over £20.00 for something that would cost less than a fiver in Asda.
If you are hungry and away from home, the cheapest options I think are Greggs or a bag of chips from a chip shop.

screenman

Legendary Member
The worst for being a rip off is a delivered Pizza. You can pay over £20.00 for something that would cost less than a fiver in Asda.
If you are hungry and away from home, the cheapest options I think are Greggs or a bag of chips from a chip shop.

Not a rip off there just happens to be a cheaper way of buying a Pizza.

Compared to home-cooked equivalents, fast food is more pricey, but that's what one pays for convenience. But what's really eyewatering are the prices for food at major sports / events venues.

Have done my share of cat shows and motor racing meetings, and generally, I will take a pack up. A sandwich and a tea is nearly £10 at the NEC... :wacko:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Compared to home-cooked equivalents, fast food is more pricey, but that's what one pays for convenience. But what's really eyewatering are the prices for food at major sports / events venues.

Have done my share of cat shows and motor racing meetings, and generally, I will take a pack up. A sandwich and a tea is nearly £10 at the NEC... :wacko:
Football matches as well are supposed to be extortionate for food and drinks. I dont go myself but from what friends have said.

John482

Some of it definitely is. Here in the US they have a very popular chain called Burger King. I remember them from in the 90's. Their hamburgers were the best , you got a lot. I would get a burger and a milkshake. Now if you go into Burger King their burgers haven't got the taste anymore and their "milk shakes" have no dairy product in them. It's like someone put sugar in dry wall mud and mixed it up. Nasty, I wasn't comfortable even drinking the plastic goop. Never went back after that. There is one other chain that has those so called milk shakes called Jack in the Box, I don't got there anymore either. The real mystery is how they're getting away with selling this toxic slop to the public. How on earth did they not just go out of business the first time someone took a sip of that filth?

Top Bottom