first helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leeman

hi there, hoping for some advice guys, after commuting and weekend cycling for years without a helmet i've finally decided to invest in one. yeah you guessed it, i got knocked off, landed hard and ended up looking like carrie after the school hall incident! researched hard and visited evans etc intending to spend about £70 but can't decide on which lid to go for (don't like the specialized) Just wondering if it ain't too boring a subject whether there's any good advice out there, cheers

Ben M

If I were you I'd go to your local LBS and see what they have on offer.

The best helmet for you can only be decided upon my trying some on.

OP
OP
leeman

leeman

unfortunatley my lbs is a basic shop that happens to be a giant dealer which doesn't stock helmets, looking at the giro monza and the giant ares. having not worn a helmet before just don't one that makes me look like a flowerpot man! has anyone used either of those?

geo

Hi also a "newbie" to wearing a helmet I have bought a Giro Monza and find it quite comfortable and not as stupid looking as many of the others out there. Retails at about £70 but managed to pick one up for £51 from Parker's online shop.Hope this helps although I do think its a very personal thing as we all have different shaped bonces and what fits well on one person maybe doesnt fit aswell on another.

Geo

OP
OP
leeman

leeman

cheers guys, was veering towards the monza as i'm abit of a ponce and it seems the best looking lid for what i'm willing to spend. seen one for around that price so i'll prob take the plunge. was always pretty anti wearing a helmet and i don't want to open THAT can of worms, but i'm sure if i'd had one on i wouldn't have needed stitching up!! it'll be mudguards next eew!

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
I have a Boardman Road helmet for sale in the classifieds for £40 posted ono.
Try one on at your local Halfords then save £20.

thumbsup.png

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
[QUOTE 1154206"]
Not being funny, but you should never buy a helmet second hand - ever.
[/quote]

Agreed, but did you read the advert ? - it's been worn for 20 minutes and is AS NEW.

luther

I bought a Bell Sweep XC about 18 months off the web mainly 'cos it looked good and was rated quite highly. Can't remember what I paid but it turned out fine. I've just bought another new Spesh Helmet which seemed quite cheap and again is rated quite highly....

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=24644

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom