FLAT imperial century (metric century option) from Garforth, Saturday 10th July 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've attached the gpx file of my route back home to Littleborough from Hooton. It would be good to see you on @ColinJ Garforth century ride.
Thanks for that, I know it well as far as Frodsham, ridden as far as Daresbury (and canal to Runcorn), so the rest of it will be interesting to try someday, I try and collect odd out of area longish routes to get ideas for metric and imperial centuries. See you on the 10th

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
UPDATED...

LIST OF RIDERS:
  • ColinJ
  • Carrie (and maybe Kevin?) (friends of mine; not CC members)
  • Buck
  • Littgull
  • Julia9054 and Al
  • LeetleGreyCells
  • Soltydog
  • @Domus?
  • @Venod for part of the ride, like last time?
  • Slioch
  • si_c
  • colly
  • neil_merseyside
  • @Dogtrousers (part of the way)?
And here I'll tag other riders who came along last time, or expressed interest:
Even if only half of those above turn up, it would be a good turnout, and anybody else who would like to join us is welcome to (let us know below)!

Slioch

Guru
I really hope that I will be up to doing the imperial century, but if I have back problems on the ride and need to wimp out and take the 100 km shortcut back to Garforth, will somebody please step forward and volunteer to navigate the rest of the ride on my behalf?
Hi Col,
I've finally worked out how to export your GPX file into the map app on my phone and get it to work, so I'll also be happy to pick-up/share navigational responsibilities if you need to drop out.
Cheers
Peter

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The more navigators the better...

It is very easy for a group of riders as big as this one will be to split into more than one group, so having more people who know where we are going is a good thing. It covers possible GPS problems. It has only happened to me once, when one of the NiMH batteries in my Garmin Etrex failed mid-ride. That is 'failed', NOT 'went flat' - I had fully charged it just before setting off - it just died on me!

A more embarrassing reason for me to want backup navigators is that I seem to need about 10 pee stops a ride these days... I'd rather everyone else just carried on at a steady pace, and I would chase back on when done. Yes, it is fast approaching time for the dreaded gloved finger! :eek: Once the NHS is starting to recover from the pandemic, I'll book an appointment with my GP.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
A more embarrassing reason for me to want backup navigators is that I seem to need about 10 pee stops a ride these days... I'd rather everyone else just carried on at a steady pace, and I would chase back on when done. Yes, it is fast approaching time for the dreaded gloved finger! :eek: Once the NHS is starting to recover from the pandemic, I'll book an appointment with my GP.

No need to be embarrassed 👍 Sometimes I need to stop to pee far too often & I'm a year or 2 younger. I went to the docs about it a couple of years ago, had a good scrub before I went, only to find they do a blood test nowadays :laugh: My Dad was recently diagnosed with PC & had his prostate removed a couple of weeks ago, but he may have left it longer than he should :sad:

Slioch

Guru
No need to tell me about pee breaks - the bane of my life and only getting worse.

I have toyed with the idea of strapping a modified she-wee type thingy to my, err, thingy, with a tube running out the bottom of my shorts, but some might think that's a bit antisocial in a group ride situation.

:rain::cheers:

No need to tell me about pee breaks - the bane of my life and only getting worse.

I have toyed with the idea of strapping a modified she-wee type thingy to my, err, thingy, with a tube running out the bottom of my shorts, but some might think that's a bit antisocial in a group ride situation.

:rain::cheers:
Snot rockets are bad enough!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

My Dad was recently diagnosed with PC & had his prostate removed a couple of weeks ago, but he may have left it longer than he should :sad:
Oops, I did the 'thumbs up' for the first bit of your post, before reading the second part... :sad:

Sorry to hear about your dad. Mine had PC too, but like many old men, eventually died 'with' it, not 'of' it. Hopefully that will be the case for your dad too, and not for many years yet.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

My back is still aching... Devon will either sort it out, or kill me off... Get those GPX files loaded onto your devices! :laugh:

Seriously though... after hardly seeing anybody for the past 18 months I will be very peed off if my Devon trip or this forum ride are marred by a few sprained muscles.

I'll set out on a 100 km ride at the weekend down in the SW. If that goes ok, I'll try to do a couple more while I am there. If I struggle, I'll be sensible and limit myself to 50 km rides until I get back and have done the Garforth ride.

Julia9054

Guru
Well, slightly disastrous attempt this morning to do some distance in preparation for this ride.
Got 3 miles out and Al’s rear derailleur decided to randomly detach itself and end up in his back wheel. Everything mangled. Rode home to get the car only to realise that the house keys were in his jersey pocket. Rode back to get them, then back home - again - then off to rescue him!
Currently watching other people cycle on the telly instead.
Al will have to do the ride on his gravel bike as our very busy LBS can’t sort out the damage until the middle of July

Top Bottom