Found a Bargain? Do Tell.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've also bought a load of other stuff that I've sold on for a tidy sum. The profit from which has more than paid for the jackets, service kit and a few tools I've bought
Mm, call me old fashioned pre-thatcher but somewhat against the spirit of the place i personally think. Maybe explains why some stuff disappears quickly. The "retro saddles" by chance? That caused a rumpus in a certain other cycling place where it appeared that someone may have acquired rather a lot from here to flog there to fellow cyclists.

Tom B

Guru
Mm, call me old fashioned pre-thatcher but somewhat against the spirit of the place i personally think. Maybe explains why some stuff disappears quickly. The "retro saddles" by chance? That caused a rumpus in a certain other cycling place where it appeared that someone may have acquired rather a lot from here to flog there to fellow cyclists.

Nope no saddles.

A couple of notable ones I remember was I bought 3 Mavic jackets in different sizes kept the one that fitted and sold the other two for a tenner profit each.

I bought about ten pairs of altura thermal leggings in the summer for a tenner then punted them on at 25 quid in winter.

Another was some Shimano 8speed chains that I bought for £3-50 and sold a load on.

The halfords clearance stuff a while back was another had a rumage through the rails. Still have some stuff I'll try my luck with in the spring. If it doesn't sell I'll use it.

I bought a shed load of OEM retail packed Avid DB1 brake pads for £3 at decathlon and knocked them out for something more like the retail price.

I also sell innertubes that I buy wholesale from time to time.

If it makes you feel better I've lost out on some stuff too.

I come from a retail background in which we did a bit of buying and selling clearance so it's sort of second nature to me. (It's not just cycling stuff I do it with the biggest wins I ever had was a load of dolls house magazines I bought at a carboot for a tenner, split up and sold on for over a grand some years ago and some short date printer inkjet cartridges I bought for £3 a piece from Asda and flogged on for £20each, bought a load of Levi jeans in New York for a fiver a pair sold on, I once had some firetrap jeans in a charity shop and sold them on). When buying clearance into retail I always had one eye on how much was left to sell on to competition and it wasn't unknown tondo a deal to buy it all to control the competition even if it was more than I needed. My missus dreads me coming home with a car boot full. There is also a load of money to be made from unexpected stuff broken TV, £70. TV Remotes from the tip... Tenner each.... Sky boxes from the tip upto £30. (The guys at the tip will pretty much let you have anything if you ask other than metals and stuff you have to skip dive for) also just nosey in other people's cars and ask. Once found an ancient 4pin flourecent light starter in my grandad shed, sold it for about £25 on eBay. Was mooching around a radio am really a few months later and saw a box of about 15 for a tenner. Who'd have though people collect such things.

In the spirit of the site I do tend to give it a day or two before buying. And in most cases were generally were talking half a dozen or so.

I also posted some of the above and am more than happy to share bargains as I find them. Mostly my "business model" means hanging in to stuff for a while capturing the people who can't be bothered looking for a bargain / lower price.

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
Nope no saddles.

A couple of notable ones I remember was I bought 3 Mavic jackets in different sizes kept the one that fitted and sold the other two for a tenner profit each.

I bought about ten pairs of altura thermal leggings in the summer for a tenner then punted them on at 25 quid in winter.

Another was some Shimano 8speed chains that I bought for £3-50 and sold a load on.

The halfords clearance stuff a while back was another had a rumage through the rails.

I bought a shed load of OEM retail packed Avid DB1 brake pads for £3 at decathlon and knocked them out for something more like the retail price.

I also sell innertubes that I buy wholesale from time to time.

If it makes you feel better I've lost out on some stuff too.

I come from a retail background in which we did a bit of buying and selling clearance so it's sort of second nature to me. (It's not just cycling stuff I do it with). When buying clearance into retail I always had one eye on how much was left to sell on to competition and it wasn't unknown tondo a deal to buy it all to control the competition even if it was more than I needed.

In the spirit of the site I do tend to give it a day or two before buying. And in most cases were generally were talking half a dozen or so.

I also posted some of the above and am more than happy to share bargains as I find them. Mostly my "business model" means hanging in to stuff for a while capturing the people who can't be bothered looking for a bargain / lower price.
You'll be stockpiling bog roll next...

Tom B

Guru
You'll be stockpiling bog roll next...

Nah you never really get a good deal on it. I learned that with the shop. And being a high cube low density it takes up loads of space per £1.

There's always a demand, it's something of a grudge purchase and people will happily buy old designs damaged packs etc.

That said cheap doesn't always mean good value. If you get a good offer on quality bog roll it's often better value than the cheap stuff.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Last edited:
Vango tent - one of their "premium" upgraded versions of a popular model.

Freestanding.

£120 with SALE20 code.

https://www.millets.co.uk/tents-camping/039342-vango-mirage-200-pro-backpacking-tent.html

Just in jest - I spend too much money when I see a bargain.

I'm on a self ban from hotukdeals
Thanks for the reply - thought maybe you were being sarky - not a cycle camper - a pretty good hardy tent for the money - I won't be wound in by my own post though - already impulse bought too many tents and need to dispose of at least one new one :smile:

Top Bottom