Garage security

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
My garage lock doesn't inspire me with confidence. The door is a standard up and over, and there is a metal latch on each side that clicks past a rail on the vertical part of the frame. These latches are connected by a wire to a handle in the centre of the door which you turn to release the latches. It's only the central handle that has a lock, and I don't think it would take much to bypass.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to use to beef this up?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
or one of these in the garage
angry_honey_badger-1724.jpg

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I put a big hinge recessed into the concrete floor that closes up in front of the door onto a padlock. Probably not as secure as a defender above and takes a bit of fiddling to fit, but a hell of a lot better than the standard handle lock which you could open just by giving the door a solid hit at the latch point or forcing the lock mechanism as my neighbour demonstrated a while back.

If youve got a nice bike, id probably have some less expected security on the inside too, chain/ground anchor kinda thing as I figure anything on the outside can be prepared for if theyre pro thieves.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
That defender looks like a good option. I can't work out which part attaches to the ground, and which part to the garage door.

There is a complicating factor, in that just in front of the door, going the whole width of it, is a trench drain. So for 15cm or so in front of the door, I have nothing solid to mount it to.

D

Deleted member 26715

When I had the up & over I just used a couple of hasp & staples, put a block of wood into the bottom channel, screwed the hinged part into that, then drilled the loop bit into the concrete & used a couple of enclosed padlocks. These types of things http://www.screwfix.com/p/security-hasp-staple-95mm/41542 http://www.screwfix.com/p/disc-keyed-alike-padlock-70mm/39386 just remember you will not stop them 'if' they are determined enough, but just may slow them down, which may make them move onto another house.

Alan...

That defender looks like a good option. I can't work out which part attaches to the ground, and which part to the garage door.

There is a complicating factor, in that just in front of the door, going the whole width of it, is a trench drain. So for 15cm or so in front of the door, I have nothing solid to mount it to.

I bought one like this for a similar reason... I have a brickwork drive and there is no point in fixing it to a removable brick!

security_products%5Cgarage_defenders%5Csec-1000.jpg

The Mounting plate looks like this:

139t.jpg

I found that I could mount the base securely by bolting the two holes furthest from the lock bracket It was secure enough:
file-14.jpg

Crankarm

Guru
What I am looking for is a pair of spring loaded bolts hardened steel mounted either side the door, on inside of door at the bottom, with a single key hole the only thing visible from the front so you can lock and unlock the drop bolts which go into the ground/floor. Haven't found any yet.

Rando

Veteran
I bought one like this for a similar reason... I have a brickwork drive and there is no point in fixing it to a removable brick!

139t.jpg

I found that I could mount the base securely by bolting the two holes furthest from the lock bracket It was secure enough:
file-14.jpg

So I have a blocked paved drive right upto the garage door but the floor in the garage is solid concrete so would the mounting plate then fix to the solid concrete floor in the garage and come out under the door to the drive and the defender bit (padlock and bar) bit just sits on the block paving of the drive.
Sorry for being a bit thick on this !! DIY is not my strong point. Don't want to buy one only to find having block paving makes it a useless product.

Crankarm

Guru
or one of these in the garage
angry_honey_badger-1724.jpg

Years ago when I worked in France I paid a visit to one of my customers in Corsica. He had a hugemongous barn where he stored our goods. Before we went in I had to wait in the car. 15 minutes later he emerged from the barn and told me it was safe to go in. Once inside he showed me the reason I had had to wait in the car. A fairly big and beautiful leopard was strutting and prowling back and forth in a cage at the side of the barn. Gulp. Apparently the guy let it have freedom in the huge barn when he wasn't there and some times when he was but wasn't expecting any visitors. I have a picture some where of the big cat although have do idea where.

Crankarm

Guru

139t.jpg

file-14.jpg

Looks a nice idea but with a decent crowbar or jemmie you could get it off without too much difficulty.

Rando

Veteran
Anything must be better than nothing though and if they are that determined to break in then nothing will stop them. It's the quick opportunist theifs I want to deter.

Top Bottom