Garmin Connect Down - And made me think...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I had to take over from a ride leader yesterday who had been relying on garmin connect to get us to the pub. My etrex20 got us there. Some folk were rather bemused by the fact that it didn't connect to the internet.
I don't think I'd be following a ride leader who had to rely on a gadget to get him anywhere let alone the pub:stop::stop:
The Connect App on IOS is sort of working but Connect IQ is still down.

Stephenite

Membå
'Every cloud' as they say.

I've had a 310XT watch for many years and was always a little concerned at no longer being able to up- or download files via USB in the way I had with the 205 I had before that. Being obliged to go through Garmin Express and Garmin connect has always been frustrating, especially when it became awkward to simultaneously populate SportsTracks (the shortcomings in that application have been discussed elsewhere on CC). So the current crisis has given me that nudge to look more seriously for alternative workflows ... and woohoo, I've found one that works for me!:wahhey:

The problem, for me, was being obliged to use ANT+ and not having the USB option. After a little bit of web searching I discovered that mobile devices sometimes have ANT+ connectivity as an option. As luck would have it, my somewhat elderly Galaxy Tab A does indeed have that feature Step 1 was to install the 'ANT+ Plugins Service' app (free) to facilitate the ANT+ connectivity. Next I needed an app which would pair with the 310XT, pull data off, then sync with other services - Garmin Connect (when it's working again!), Strava etc. I settled on 'Garmin ANT+ Watch Uploader PRO' app (£4.19) since it also has a test version so you can see whether it will will work with your tech, and it did for me. Because it holds the uploaded files on the tablet before sending, anther option is to send the files by email to myself ... or indeed I could pull them out on the tablet SD card or Bluetooth them across to my PC. This is a step forward from having to rely on the sometimes flaky Garmin Express and associated services

For less than the price of a (dahn sahf) pint I can now get at my data more easily, seamlessly transfer them to other places, and don't have to fire up the PC with ANT+ stick. For me, that's a relief, and a bargain.
I used to use ST Uploader app when my 910XT started to have problems. Just checked on Play store and its still getting good reviews.

I don't think I'd be following a ride leader who had to rely on a gadget to get him anywhere let alone the pub:stop::stop:
The Connect App on IOS is sort of working but Connect IQ is still down.
He was manfully standing in and made a good effort in the circumstances. The ride would normally have had a single leader, the route planner, but we had to split into three groups due to dreaded virus, so he took the route from the leader and had to view it on his smartphone as a pic overlay.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
He was manfully standing in and made a good effort in the circumstances. The ride would normally have had a single leader, the route planner, but we had to split into three groups due to dreaded virus, so he took the route from the leader and had to view it on his smartphone as a pic overlay.
That makes sense.

GetFatty

Über Member
Well don't go on them. No one's forcing you.
There are very many things I don't like and therefore don't do. I don't feel the need to go on the internet and list them on a thread about Garmin service availability.

pipe down
Play nicely!

OP
OP
gunja99

gunja99

Top Bottom