General cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chipmonster

Hi All

Just bought my new mountain bike (Claud Butler Olympus D2).

Anyway, this bike is great off road but on the road its slow and I struggle up hills. In Blackburn where I live its very hilly. Additionally, I dont feel safe on the road as I feel the bike is too slow.

Anyway, I operate the cycle to work scheme at work and I know the suppliers. Anyway, they have suggested a claud butler Torino bike 2007, which is very light.

Anyway, they can do me a deal for £550 all in brand new.

I really dont know much about bikes, is this a good deal and is it okay for me, (light use on the road).

Any suggestions would be apreciated.

RedBike

It might be worth tyring a set of slick tyres out first. These will speed up your exising bike dramatically.

The Torino will almost certain feel quicker (it is quicker!) but it's not the obvious choice of bike for someone whos struggling with hills / nervous in traffic.

The gearing on the Torino is significantly higher/harder than what you've currently got on your MTB. This could make the hills even harder. It's hard to give a direct comparison but it will be like your exisint bike without the small chainring at the front, the granny ring.

The handeling the Torino will be quite twitchy, lively. If you're worried about riding in traffic the last thing you need is to feel unstable on the bike.

£550 is a great price but I have a feeling this is with the cycle to work 'discount' and it's actually £1000.
For £1000 (assuming you do want this style of bike) it has to be the Planet-x carbon. There really isn't any contest here. It is better than the Torino is just about every way.

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/SL_Pro_Carbon_Road_999.html

OP
OP
C

chipmonster

Hi

I do the cycle to work scheme at work. Anyway, the supplier said he has the 2007 model in stock and he will do it for £550 (inclusive of vat).

Anyway, I cannot put this on the cycle to work scheme, as I already have the mountain bike, therefore it will cost me £550.

The supplier said it is a £1300 bike but I am getting it for £550 (the supplier does wholesale bikes).

I am a beginner, had my mountain bike for about two weeks and done 50 miles on it but I think its too slow for the road. This is why I am considering this bike as the supplier says he has only 1 in stock (first come first serve), therefore I need to make a decision quick.

kyuss

Veteran
If I was you I'd go for it. £550 for a 105 equipped carbon road bike is a proper bargain no matter how you look at it.

Like Redbike says, the handling will be a little twichier than what you are used to with the MTB but this is something you adapt to really quickly. The gearing will also be higher but the fact it has slick 700c tyres and is much lighter in weight will make it easier than you would first expect. It will be tougher initially but it will make you stronger. If you can't get used to it and if you find the gearing too hard £20 will get you a bigger casette to make it easier.

If it turns out road bikes aren't your bag and you really don't like it then at £550 I'm pretty sure you could sell it on and get all your money back.

Danny

Legendary Member
The key thing is to try out several styles of bike first. You might be better off with a hybrid or touring bike rather than an out and out road bike, as these will be more stable and have lower gears for going up hills.

I would be suspicious if your bike shop is trying to push your towards one particular model. So ask to see some different bikes, or go elsewhere if necessary.

Claud Butler used to be a well established British manufacturer, but I believe the brand name is now owned by a supplier of low cost far-eastern imports. The ones I have seen do look very good value - but so much so that I wonder how they keep the costs so low.

KINGCUTTER

chipmonster said:
Hi All

Just bought my new mountain bike (Claud Butler Olympus D2).

Anyway, this bike is great off road but on the road its slow and I struggle up hills. In Blackburn where I live its very hilly. Additionally, I dont feel safe on the road as I feel the bike is too slow.

Anyway, I operate the cycle to work scheme at work and I know the suppliers. Anyway, they have suggested a claud butler Torino bike 2007, which is very light.

Anyway, they can do me a deal for £550 all in brand new.

I really dont know much about bikes, is this a good deal and is it okay for me, (light use on the road).

Any suggestions would be apreciated.

I live just over the hill from you in Haslingden i had the same problem i tried slicks but still not great so i would go with a roadbike or hybred,try before you buy,is my bit of advice.

Top Bottom